Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Height Question

Hello All, new to the forums as of today and would love some input from experienced Jayco Owners. After spending an exhausting two days at the Hershey show, we have narrowed our focus down to the Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. The height listed shows 12' 5" w/ AC. My question is, when hooked to a newer (2012-present) stock F250 or Ram 2500 (likely diesel), what is the overall height? I ask only because there is one cable running across my road and I want to be certain we cleared if we choose to go this route.

I apologize for the rookie question, my wife and I have had two TT's in the past, this is our first venture into the 5'r arena. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
ShaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF! The overall height shouldn't change, regardless of what you're using for a TV. The pin is adjustable to account for different TV ride heights.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

robkelly - Thank you. Dealing with fifth wheels is a learning curve to say the least, but that's what the wife wants. I am getting a parking pad installed next to the house at the moment and the last thing I want to do is buy something to tall for my road.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

The most important thing you can do is hook up and on a level surface go up and measure your height . Spec is for a level rig you may or may not be level hooked up ! Personally I want to know for sure .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #5

Like you we are new to 5th's, but I have been thinking about this.
The listed height should be with the trailer level as it should be when hooked to the truck. So the height should be the same or close to it. The trailer will tow better if it is level, so spend some time or get the dealer to set up the 5th hitch.
Also the regulated min height is 14 feet ?, 18 wheelers etc, if it is less it must be posted so you should be OK most of the time.

2004 Designer 31RLS
2000 F350 Lariat 7.3L Dually 4 Door Long Bed
KiwiBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #6

I assume that is some sort of utility cable across your road, e.g. power or phone. If it is unusually low, it's parent utility company may raise it.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

I have a 2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS and my TV is a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4. As of now the trailer rides nose hight and it still is at the 12' 6" mark and that is with a front mount A/C. However I think once I move the suspention down and add a spacer to get it to level, the hight will change but not by more than the 3-4 inches that I need for it to ride correctly. But I boondock 90% of the time so I need as much bed clearance as possible, so lowering the hitch is really not an option for me. If you are only staying in parks lowering the hitch can be the better option. Regardless you will still be under 13'.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBruce View Post
Like you we are new to 5th's, but I have been thinking about this.
The listed height should be with the trailer level as it should be when hooked to the truck. So the height should be the same or close to it. The trailer will tow better if it is level, so spend some time or get the dealer to set up the 5th hitch.
Also the regulated min height is 14 feet ?, 18 wheelers etc, if it is less it must be posted so you should be OK most of the time.
Correct 14ft min all roads big rigs are normally 13'6" DOT Federal Standards
Mitigation Strategies For Design Exceptions - Safety | Federal Highway Administration
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Welcome to JOF! The overall height shouldn't change, regardless of what you're using for a TV. The pin is adjustable to account for different TV ride heights.
Respectfully, that's ideal, but it's NOT necessarily true. Trucks don't self-level (unless you got that option) and there may be a big difference in ride height between a 2500 and 3500 on a heavy-pin trailer.

Using the factory height is fine for "in general" - but to get true height, you'll have to measure it on your truck, on your hitch config, on your trailer, loaded the way you load it...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:28 AM   #10

We just set up in a locally owned camp ground for a Blue Grass Festival. When they directed us down the back roads of the campground to our camping spot, they directed us under some power lines. They guy in the golf cart leading was flying along but when I got to the power lines, I pulled up and stopped. Got out and checked and just barely was able to get through. The lines brushed against the cowling on the air conditioner. The guy with the golf cart came back and said, gee, I never thought about the power lines. It seems they had done some road work on the culvert there and had applied about 4 inches of crushed rock. We were at 13'5" and touching. The campground owners spent the rest of the evening pulling back on the power pole with an anchor line to get his lines up another 4 inches. Close call!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
Site Team

I have owned 3 fifth wheels and You learn the new dimension, UP , when towing them. There is no substitute for hooking up on a level surface and actually measuring the height of the highest point on your rig. It's easily done with a straight edge, level and tape measure.

One thing we found is that large units with the optional front ac are taller than the factory specs. Also as already mentioned, bridge clearance may not be what is posted on the bridge due to repaving over time.

Being vigilant is the best practice.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #12

Thank you all for the responses. I believe the power line to be just over the 13'6 height, Box Trucks and triple axle dump trucks have made it under without issue. We really like the 29.5BHDS floor plan and can hopefully find a local dealer to work with soon. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #13

Just a tip, if your using a ram 2500 they are tall. You will have to raise the trailer, change trailer tires etc.. the HT can be pulled by a 2500 but don't buy a tall ram diesel.

I have a 29.5 bhds, with a 2015 diesel 2500 ram. It's big and I am no where near level even after raising the trailer.
Trackermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Trackermi - please excuse my ignorance, fifth wheels are a new dimension to me. If I were to order the 29.5 bhds with the 16" tire option, what other options exist to get it near level? Is it all adjustment on the hitch after that?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

Mine has 15" , wish I waited for a 16". The other option you have is to lower the leaf Springs to the bottom holes which raise the trailer. The problem with a ram being so tall and still getting clearance over the bed. I use a Reese 20 k elite hitch designed for the pucks in the factory prep. If you use rails on the hitch or use a B&W your problem will only get bigger as the hitches add even more height.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #16

Unhappy

If your trailer is NOT level, or nearly level, you NEED to do something to correct that situation. I cringe every time I see a TT going down the road with 12 or 18" difference front to back. Most of the time, it is front high. The front axle and tires are carrying very little, and the back axle and tires are likely VERY overloaded!!!
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
If your trailer is NOT level, or nearly level, you NEED to do something to correct that situation. I cringe every time I see a TT going down the road with 12 or 18" difference front to back. Most of the time, it is front high. The front axle and tires are carrying very little, and the back axle and tires are likely VERY overloaded!!!
Well he won't be 18" of difference, more like 8", which is still alot. Raising the leaf Springs gives him 3" . And his tires I would assume are already 1" more than me, so he will probably still be 4-6" high still.

Agree in regards to it needs to be level as possible, that's why I wanted to make him away of what this 29.5 BHDS will bring with it. I was also new to a fifth wheel and the dealer measured nothing, I had to learn the hard way. Then they gave me a B&W hitch with a min height of 17.5". They took that back, I put in a Reese and then raised the leaf Springs (putting bolts in lower hole). Now I need to do tires.

It's either that or get another trailer, which has crossed my mind giving all the issues this trailer has. The trailer is at the dealer with a list of 10 things to fix.

Anyways, I hope he just does his homework upfront. Or his dealer cares to ask and help. Mine gave a crap less.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #18
Site Team

My dealer was not as concerned about my truck as I was. Before I signed anything, I took my truck to the lot and backed it under the fifth wheel to physically check the clearance. Turned out all was ok but I had to know before we went any farther.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #19

Trackermi - I thank you very much for this additional information to consider. It is all a learning experience and this is the knowledge I was hoping to gain by joining the forum.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #20

Our Jayco dealer set up our new 5th wheel hitch by hitching up to an identical unit on his lot. I knew before hand we were going to be pretty level when we got home and hitched up.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote