Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

help mounting a 5th wheel hitch

I am new to 5th wheeling. I bought a 2010 Eagle Super Lite 28.5 BHS last week. I have a 2007 F-250 Super Duty to pull it. I bought a Pull-Rite hitch "automatic" slider and the truck specific frame mounting parts that are said to use the factory made existing holes in the frame for mounting bolts (no or minimal drilling necessary).

The instructions for mounting the hitch call for measuring and marking the rail mount bolt holes from the top inside of the bed to locate the hitch within the bed and drilling those holes from top down. Is there any reason why I can't simply bolt the under bed brackets to the frame and use the holes in it to locate and drill the holes in the bed from the bottom up? There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on where the through bed bolts go as the frame determines those locations with no adjustment. It seems to me much simpler to do it like that and the possibility for error should be nil. Am I overlooking something?

I appreciate a reply. Ted
ted368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

You can certainly try. When I moved my Pullrite from my 2004 to my 2015 and used new frame rails, I couldn't see how to do that. Now room to get anything up there (at least with my big hands) I just drilled oversize holes from the top by measuring add suggested. Not exactly centered, but they work.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll know if it works later this morning. If not, I can measure as you ended up doing. Maybe more room on the older trucks. Ted
Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

I installed my PullRite according to their instructions, using the supplied template for drilling the holes. Its really not that bad as long as you take your time. The biggest help was to put Scotch Tape over the frame mounting holes as directed and drill a small pilot hole from the top of the bed. If the hole in the tape is centered, you are good to go. Check each hole as you go. A little hassle, but worth it.
BTW... You will love that hitch!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

I was able to use the frame mounting parts for a template to drill the bed and it worked well. I had to use an 90 Deg. head drill motor to reach it but it worked out great. The hardest part was putting the truck on jack stands and removing and reinstalling the wheels.

I hope the hitch was worth the premium. If it works as advertised it should be as I have a learning curve on towing the 5th wheel and the repair costs for forgetting to slide the hitch once (or trying to do without in wet weather) should offset the cost.

If the trailer is used as much as my wife and I or my son and his family now think we will for remote areas, it will work out great. If not, we learn without the initial cost of a new trailer or motorhome.

Thank you for the reply. Ted