Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
...Most states do not consider this a trailer as well as it doesn't move once connected...

Roy Ken
Do you have anything to back that up. I've read the opposite.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Most states do not consider this a trailer as well as it doesn't move once connected....
Everyone I've seen has trailer lights and somewhere to mount a license plate. I'm planning on registering it as a trailer when I'm done also.

I like the Idaho tote, I just don't think the wheels turn sharp enough for my needs when backing down my own driveway, I make a pretty sharp turn.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #23

Quote:

Most states do not consider this a trailer as well as it doesn't move once connected....

Roy Ken
Smart Trailers are built in Lakeland, FL. Florida does consider it a triple tow, which is illegal, if on the back of a TT, FW or on a truck behind a MH. That is what the the company will tell you.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #24

You s h pull take a look for a used one. I know there has been one north of my place for sale for a couple years. It will be in their front yard for a few months, then gone for a while, then it's back. I have never looked to see what price thwy have been wanting.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #25

I have never done this platform extension before but checking on-line it is sort of like this statement...

"A frequent question asked is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, which some call "Triple Towing". These states are the entire east coast from Maine to Florida, Oregon and Washington. We consider the system an extension of the fifth wheel chassis frame. We do not consider it a trailer. The system cannot jackknife or fishtail. It is not like another ball mounted trailer swinging from side to side. Some states may not have that same view. Always check with the states that you are traveling through for details. There are numerous web sites that will give you state by state information in regards to towing laws. "

I compare this to putting a platform on the rear of the trailer bolted to the frame just like the bumper is mounted. The wheels just add stability to to the platform..

To me it would be no different than having one of these... It just has some wheels under to carry more weight...

But of course the DOT folks are the final word and like said above they may have a different view of it...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #26

Might be a silly question but what mod's do you have to do to your rear bumper to accommodate a swivel wheel trailer? I've been looking at them at swivel wheel.com and there's no way you'd safely marry this up with a Jayco 5'r when their rear hitch is only rated for 300#.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #27

My factory hitch is actually surprisingly stout, the welds are a little shotty but the steel is thick enough for well over 300#’s. I still haven’t built mine but when I do I’ll probably grind down some of the welds and lay some more meat on them. Also maybe a piece of angle iron from the top of the receiver to the bumper.
seansbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #28

For anyone considering these here's what happens if you have to make a sudden lane change. The fellow who had this problem said it was a very bad idea. Luckily his truck didn't flip with it.
Attached Thumbnails
867aaabe94dc67a4f887e2cbda93f59e.jpg   2426c07e03b9f851520b86a956f6a945.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #29
Site Team

I have seen these in various places in the country. Some had a single swivel, some two. It looks just like the hook up on my leaf vacuum by Cyclone Rake. I would not want to be going down the road at highway speeds with it either. www.cyclonerake.com Just for reference, I have no interest in this company except as a customer.

It has to connect in two places on the back of the rig which makes the receiver essentially not used in this application.

Friends and people I ask about them say they are legal depending on which state you are in and how vigorously they enforce the laws.

I just decided that when I am camping I can't take it all with me and didn't even go there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
For anyone considering these here's what happens if you have to make a sudden lane change. The fellow who had this problem said it was a very bad idea. Luckily his truck didn't flip with it.

Where’s the proof the platform caused the flip lol? Could have been a wind gust right?
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #31

OP, I’ll be curious to see your final product. I primarily camp on the east coast (every state from PA down to GA) and have seen these platforms with swivel wheels many times. I’ll have to start asking those with these their experiences when I see them next season at campgrounds.

I carry a golf cart in the bed of my truck so I have no need for one, but if I ever decide I want a 5th wheel, I’d need something like this to take the golf cart.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #32

Grumpy: you always have really great posts and advice so thank you in advance. However; I would have to wonder what the root cause of this mishap was before blaming the swivel wheel attachment.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMZKTAGratton View Post
Grumpy: you always have really great posts and advice so thank you in advance. However; I would have to wonder what the root cause of this mishap was before blaming the swivel wheel attachment.
I originally thought he said he had to make a lane change, that was not the case.

The owner's quote:

"Well, it was the perfect setup for disaster. All 3 SB lanes recently paved, not the shoulder. Service truck on the shoulder with flashers. I'm in the right lane just as an 18 wheeler passes in the center lane. Sandwiched between them doing 65 mph. When the 18 wheeler cleared me a gust of wind hit me. The Montana with our brand new smart trailer swivel wheel with our golf cart started to fish tail. 50 years of driving in Michigan ice and snow enabled me to keep the truck upright and pointing straight. I just couldn't hold it as the 5er jackknifed and slammed into the passenger door. Then my B&W sheared like it was supposed to."

Having pulled a FW on and off over many years and all across the country I have never had one start to fish tail.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #34

Hello,
Read your post about swivel wheels and would be interested in what you found for $300. Also any other info since your posting.
The Toy Tote wheel arrangement appears to have a round steel circle welded to the wheel assembly but I am unsure how it operates or how it attaches to the trailer. Any ideas?
Thanks
Dirty Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #35

Just found this thread. I've looked at these at the RV shows and spoken to the reps. The Toy-Tote was the most recent I saw. Also looked at one hooked to a fiver at Q.

These were single wheel units and the position of the wheel behind the pivot point makes it track straight and not oscillate. The spindle was a tube around another tube (greased) and the top bearing point looked like it had a lube plate in there. The hitch method is 2x 2" rcvrs installed on the back of the fiver and the truck had the same so that you can use it as a trailer. Some have a detachable tongue and either dual lockable swing wheels or drop wheels.

I was thinking of one to haul an ATV if we don't switch to a MH.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #36

Thanks for the info.
Have never seen one of these units in person. I did see a couple of utube postings of the Toy Tote. I went to their web page but it was having trouble and I was unable to see much.
I did see a short video they had posted on their web page. A few seconds showed the double wheels as they backed up. It appears the wheels are mounted to a short axle then an upright is attached to a circular metal part that rotates with the wheels but I could not determine how the circular part was attached to what it was attached to. Maybe it is attached to the tube you saw but don't know.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #37

If you're hauling a golf cart you need the dual swivel wheel with a dual hitch. The trailer weights around 450 with the hitch and golf cart is 800 to 1100 lbs depending on gas or electric. These trailers split the load in half so you will have 600 to 800 lbs. of tongue weight. You need a good welded hitch and dual hitch to spread the tongue weight out. Go to swivel wheel trailer web site and theirs a pic. of the dual hitch.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #38

If your going to build you own to go Axles and More by Joe LLC . He make some nice looking axles to build your own.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #39

I went to the site an saw the double wheel trailer with a wheel on each side. This is different from the Toy Tote that has a double set of wheels under the middle of the trailer.
I also went to the axle web site and after getting over a heart attack, looked over the swivel axle offered. Guess I was shocked at the price. Interesting to see it had another spindle on top that accomodated the swivel. PlayersZ28 responded saying he had seen these units, most recently, a Toy Tote and some of the units, maybe the Toy Tote has a swivel arrangement something like a tube inside another tube. Seansbass1 stated he had been looking at swivel wheel arrangements in the $300 range but it is unclear what or where.
I am unsure how to contact him or PlayersZ28 to see if they have any photos of the Toy Tote swivel arrangement or source for supplies.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #40

I think toy tote makes the best one but very expensive. Swivel wheel and smart trailer make a dual wheel model with a 1200 lb. Cap. for about half the cost. Still not cheap for what you get verses a regular pull behind trailer. If you look on Craigslist and jump from city to city you can find some used ones for about half price.