Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #41

The one I saw hooked to a fiver looked like this one. Owner was hauling a SxS on it and had the adapters on his truck to hook it there as well. I also saw them on display at the RV Show in Q.

http://www.toy-tote.com/h20-tote#prettyPhoto[13]/4/

The single swivel point works similar to the nose wheel on a fighter jet where the wheel center is behind the vertical swivel point.

They can be used as a normal trailer by putting the extra wheels and tongue on if the truck doesn't have the dual receivers installed.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #42

I do not have drawings or pictures but have been looking at these type of trailers for sometime. The best I have found so far is called the Idaho Tote. It does not use a swivel wheel system but a straight axle with self sensing turning wheels for making turns. This system comes with several options that allow the use on a RV, Pickup and as a straight trailer.
Dsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #43

I called it the toy tote earlier ment the Idaho Tote . It looks like the best but very expensive.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #44

I just noted that the OP is planning on registering this as a trailer? Then why bother? Just get a trailer and be done with it.

Yes, you 'might' be able to back up with one of these, but, is that little bit of gain worth the HUGE extra swing at the back of the trailer. If it was me I'd have to plan on an extra lane to make turns to make sure the swing did not hit anyone. My 35ft is bad enough.

But, I've seen a lot of people with rigs I'd never consider driving.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
I just noted that the OP is planning on registering this as a trailer? Then why bother? Just get a trailer and be done with it.

Yes, you 'might' be able to back up with one of these, but, is that little bit of gain worth the HUGE extra swing at the back of the trailer. If it was me I'd have to plan on an extra lane to make turns to make sure the swing did not hit anyone. My 35ft is bad enough.

But, I've seen a lot of people with rigs I'd never consider driving.
Only reason to use a swivel trailer in my view is for non-triple tow states/provinces. They'll back up fine as they are a fiver extension.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #46

Sorry guys, still haven’t started on this project yet. Just poured the slab for my shop and hopefully have the building up and start fabrication in late fall. I’m planning on building my swivels for around $300 out of spindles and hubs. I have it all drawn up in autocad, just need to work on the suspension as that’s something else I’m still tossing around. I really like air ride but designing a swivel air ride wheel might be more work than I’m personally willing to put in lol. I see a lot of rubber torsion suspension setups that look a lot easier and cheaper to build.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #47

Ive got one. What pics are you wanting.

The wheel assembly is where the engineering is, torsion bar, drag brake, etc.
Dkduhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #48

WOW!
Guess the key to the entire unit is the swivel wheels. In looking at photos, it seems the spindles are welded to a maybe 4" tube that is offset. Maybe the tube has a round disc which mates to another disc that is welded to the trailer?? Believe I saw a grease fitting? Appears the only suspension is the air in the tires? Of course, the photos I saw were not very good and caused more questions than they answered. I would be happy to hear any info and see any photos you have.
Thanks
Dirty Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #49

What does your swivel arrangement look like? What size tube from spindles upward, how long, what is the set back angle, what is on top of the tube, how does it connect to the trailer?
Would love to see a drawing or ???
Thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dave View Post
What does your swivel arrangement look like? What size tube from spindles upward, how long, what is the set back angle, what is on top of the tube, how does it connect to the trailer?
Would love to see a drawing or ???
Thanks
For the units I've seen the kingpin is pretty much a tube within a tube and greased between. If the wheel centerline is behind the kingpin centerline then the wheel will turn to match the direction of travel. Same as a swivel caster on a toolbox.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #51

A tube in a tube??
Lets see. If one takes a larger diameter tube welds a larger diameter circle on the tube then welds that to the trailer bottom, it would be something like a 5th wheel. Then weld another larger diameter circle on the top of the trailer, that would give the inside tube a securement location. Do the same to the smaller tube or rod by welding circle to one end of this tube. Then weld the square tube that contains the spindles to the bottom of this inner tube. Insert the inner tube in the outer tube and weld another circle on the top of it. That would hold the inner tube in place and allow it to rotate.
Does that sound reasonable?
Thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #52

If I read it right then that sounds like the ones I looked at. Not a whole lot of weight on that single spindle as some is taken by the double 2" hitch. You could put a bearing in it I suppose. It's kinda like those lazy susan things. If you look at a swivel caster the trailers just use an upsized version of that.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #53

These are pictures of my swivel wheel trailer. Not much light were I store it so pictures are not the best. It is a dual wheel torsion suspension 5 lug D rated tires. Trailer has 1200lb capacity. The spindles are attached to trailer by another 5 lug hub and bearings like the wheels. The hitch is double connect that swivels up and down and also side to side. Can't get pic's to load will try again in min.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #54

pictures of dual swivel wheel trailer
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180621_150310537.jpg   IMG_20180621_150318403.jpg   IMG_20180621_150357282.jpg   IMG_20180621_150407989.jpg   IMG_20180621_150446119.jpg  

Old 06-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #55

Just wonder if there is a teflon disc between the rotating discs kind of like on a 5th wheel? With the inner tube welded on the top, it would prevent disassembly. Maybe use a large rod instead of a tube and thread it but then the end of the rod and not would maybe protude too far? Guess trial and error.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #56

Seems more complicated that the trailer with the single set of double wheels in the middle of the trailer. Also, your trailer has torsion suspension where the other trailer used the wheels as the only suspension. It looks like it would be more difficult to fabricate a trailer like yours, however it looks great.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dave View Post
Just wonder if there is a teflon disc between the rotating discs kind of like on a 5th wheel? With the inner tube welded on the top, it would prevent disassembly. Maybe use a large rod instead of a tube and thread it but then the end of the rod and not would maybe protude too far? Guess trial and error.
On the top deck their two cutouts I think about 6x6 that that unscrew. When you remove the cutout you see the spindle hub that mounts the spindle to trailer. I'll remove it and take a picture.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #58

The single center mounted wheel(s) doesn't need the hitch point to swivel as the trailer can tilt. I think that would make a center wheel trailer simpler to build.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #59

Yes, I believe you are correct.