Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Jmd

Hitch height question

I'm asking this on my dad's house behalf.

My dad bought a 2015 dodge ram 2500 Cummins diesel last November. He is now looking to to upgrade his 5th wheel to a 38 foot Montana.

The dealer installed the hitch on his truck. He then recently tested hitching his truck to this 5th wheel he's considering to discover his truck or the hitch is 2 inches higher than level with this trailer, which is also new.

The dealer proceeds to tell him all the 5th wheels are too low and have to be lifted so that they tow level.

I don't have a lot 5th wheel knowledge as I tow a trailer but I can't help but think that's stupid and all manufacturures can't be producing their trailers too low. They all know the bed height of a dodge ram.

I wondered maybe the dealer installed the hitch too high? Is that probable?

What do you folks think?
Jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

I'm sure there'll be a lot of specific answers along shortly. I own the gas version of your dad's truck, and I tow a trailer (not a 5er ... yet), but I've seen a lot of chatter about this very issue on the forum. The Ram is a VERY tall truck, and a lot of guys on here have the same problem your dad has (not just RAM guys either). There have been various solutions from adjusting the king pin, adjusting the hitch, installing a specific type/brand of hitch that's lower, and flipping the axles on the 5er. Some guys just get as close as they can and call it good.

I don't like the way the dealer responded, but he's sort of right. Fifth wheel manufacturers don't seem to have caught up with the TV manufacturers building taller trucks.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

I am parked in a hole but mine is not level either. I can drop my fifth wheel and get almost level but would have very little clearance on truck bed
robertkellar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkellar79 View Post
I am parked in a hole but mine is not level either. I can drop my fifth wheel and get almost level but would have very little clearance on truck bed
Nico looking setup!!!
Drvn2modify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

There are many threads on this site about nose-high 5th wheels (mine included.) And, there are several solutions other folks have considered and/or used. Do a search and you'll find many interesting discussions.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
Jmd

Thanks for the replies. I was of course suspicious of the dealer saying they all were like that. Although makes sense the trailer industry has to play catch up if the trucks truly are being built higher than in the past.

So then, if the trailer is a tad high does it matter that much?

I will do a search and read the other threads too.
Jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmd View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was of course suspicious of the dealer saying they all were like that. Although makes sense the trailer industry has to play catch up if the trucks truly are being built higher than in the past.

So then, if the trailer is a tad high does it matter that much?

I will do a search and read the other threads too.
I believe nose high equates to the rear axle carrying slightly more load than the front axle. Ideally, you want the axles balanced (level trailer), but most of us don't live in an ideal world. One user recently explored upgrading the tires so that they have plenty of capacity all around to carry the potentially unbalanced load. My thought on that discussion was to rotate the higher capacity tires front to rear once a season to keep them somewhat even over time. But IIRC, that was more than 2 inches out of level.

If your tires are right on the margin for the specified weight being carried (like many are), it might be more of a problem for one axle to be carrying more weight; those tires might be overloaded. That being said, my neighbor owns a Montana 5er, and his tires are over-spec'd for his 5er (good thing). But they are still TowMax tires (not a good thing).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote