Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Hitching up -- Shouldn't be this hard

We have recently purchased a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RLS with a Revolution on the RV. On the pickup, we have a Reese 16K slider hitch.

The Revolution turns as the pickup turns.

The issue is that you must be perfectly square upon backing up or the claw style clamps will not secure the hitch (period). The Revolution has an extra piece of metal just behind the connector which limits the amount the hitch will turn with the vehicle. This is the cause of having to line up perfectly and be square each and every time you hook up.

Possibly the "safety" plate referred to above should be moved back just a little?

I know I may not be utilizing all proper verbage for the parts, but I hope it is undertandable.
Thanks in advance,

DAvid
sgtglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Team

I thought the selling point of the revolution is that a slider is not needed?

I have heard that the problem you describe is one of the things you have to get used to. I don't see why you even need it with a slider. Seems like an extended pin box would have been much less expensive with your slider.
The video talks about a 90 deg hookupo option but nothing in between.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...98197061,d.cGU
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

I am a novice at this, but it is my understanding the slider was due to the fact that I do not have a long bed truck. I agree however that the Revolution basically eliminates the need for the slider.

1/2 inch off square and you cannot hook up. Kind of aggravating to say the least.

David
sgtglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Team

The hitch pin is a bolt on arrangement. Sounds like you got a little overkill going on. Maybe talk with your dealer and just get them to swap it out for an extended pin or a MorRyde pin.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

You may want to check with Reese to see if you can use their slide hitch with the Revolution 90 unlocked. Husky states that it will void their warranty to use a Revolution 90 unlocked with the their slide hitch. What I mean by unlocked is where the Revolution 90 will rotate. It maybe that Husky slider is not designed for side strain of Revolution 90.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

I have the setup on my 27.5 RLTS HT and I dont have a slider. In your packet from the dealer there should be instructions how to make the revolution not swivel under the 5th wheel. with the slider your defeating the pin box. Call whoever sold it to you and ask about it. Love mine and I have a short box.
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Not sure if someone told you to buy the slider or not but it is certainly not necessary on a 6'6" short bed. now if you have something shorter than that, yes you still may need a slider ie a RAM 2500 mega crew cab would have an even shorter bed, like 6' I think perhaps even a little less..

I have a 2015 29.5BHDS with the Reese revolution also. My hitch is a Reese Titan 16k which I ordered the custom Reese wedge for. Did I need it probably not but I bought it none the less. Now when I picked up my trailer from the dealership in Indiana they installed the wedge that comes with the pin box which is the general purpose one size fits none wedge. I suspect they did not install it per Reese's instructions because I had a difficult time connecting and disconnecting. Once I got home to AZ I installed the custom wedge from Reese following their video instructions http://youtu.be/f2JjHwssJos and now it connects and disconnects without a problem.
dpi7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

I can hook up while not straight on with my revolution and fixed hitch. You don't need a slider with the revolution
Old 07-22-2015, 06:23 AM   #9

SGT, As stated above, with the Revolution you don't need the Slider and/or you don't need the Revolution. I have a 2012 RV with the Revolution and love it. However this is my first 5er and don't know anything else. I initially had trouble lining up to hitch-up but, you will learn with practice. I've learned it helps to grease the front edge of the wedge. Also, it helps to have the RV at the correct height, or level with the hitch plate. Unlike a regular hitch, one does not need all that grease on the hitch plate. No movement there.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote