Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Holding tanks

While reading some other forums about 5th wheekls, I came across this. I have an 321RLTS.
In June of 2010 we purchased a Jayco 321RLMS. In May of 2011 while getting some warranty work done we had the holding tanks checked out as they seemed to be filling up much too fast.
The selling dealership informed me that although the specifications listed the unit as having 52 gal capacity black and grey water tanks , 31 gal capacity tanks had been installed at the factory and there was not room for larger tanks on this model. We contacted Jayco and they confimed that 31 gal tanks were installed on this model. We are extremly flustrated that Jayco has and continues to list the wrong specifications on this model. We feel that Jayco has deceived the purchasers of these units. Had we known the true specifications we would have purchased another model

Has anyone had this problem?Thanks
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Team

When we started researching the Eagle line this fp was on the short list. One minus was the 2011 and 2010 spec sheet showed the holding tanks to have less capacity that the 321RLTS. I think it is because of the extra weight of the slideout and the room that it takes for the massive slide. Unless you do a lot of dry camping, it should not be a major problem. We did not get the MS but that was not the only reason.

We eventually ended up with a 351RLTS which has huge water storage capacity of all types.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

I'm thinkin' this is the thread you have been following. I've been watching it, too.

I PMed the OP (I will not post on those forums anymore because of the anal, nitpicking, excessive, and unnecessary moderation) asking if he was dealing with the dealer and, if so, he should try contacting Jayco directly since they have a good reputation for customer satisfaction. He responded that he was dealing directly with Jayco. I then suggested he file a complaint with the BBB. After more moaning and groaning online, he finally posted that he finally filed a complaint. Now the story is that Jayco has said that they are waiting for custom molds to make larger tanks for the unit.

I did a bit of digging and the 2011 specs still show the unit having 52 gl holding tanks. When I went to RV Direct to check out the specs for 2012, it was listed as being discontinued. It seems odd that Jayco would go to the expense of making custom molds for tanks for a discontinued model.

I have noticed some discrepancies in Jayco's brochures. The 2011 Eagle printed brochure shows in one place that the Eagle TTs have R7 insulation in the roof of the main trailer but further down, it says R22 with a layer of foil insulation. The online brochure also says only R7. I met a factory sales rep a few weeks back and he said R22.

To me, it sounds like a marketing problem, possibly caused by careless updating of material from the previous year.

I still feel Jayco makes a superior product and still plan on buying one, but they do need to iron some problems out.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Team

They dropped this floorplan for 2012.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #5

What I read was 2 different things, Jayco said there was not any room for larger tanks, then later Jayco was having some custom tanks made. It would seem to me if there is no room for a larger tank, then a custom made one won't fix it as it won't fit. I think Jayco admitted the tanks were smaller than the brochure stated. I am not sure what Jayco can do to fix it. IMHO, since just about everything is "Specifications Subject to Change", I doubt there is much the OP can do, but I also think Jayco should have updated the online spec's and brochure when they figured it out.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

I am the lucky owner of the 2010 321RLMS. I would like to clarify some points about the problem with this model. Prior to my retirement we selected this model. This is my 4th Jayco 5th that we have purchased so we knew what we wanted in regards of options, and holding tank capacities.
The selling dealership has told me that new models start to be produced in May of the previous year. So my 2010 went into production in May of 2009. I purchased mine in June of 2010. Now I understand that they have a disclaimer that specs can change without notice however, they should have given notice to their dealers. To date, they have not changed the specs on the company website.
My holding tanks are 41% smaller than what the company specs say. Its not a issue when I winter in Texas as we are on full hookup, but when we are at home its a different story. Most of our campgrounds have Electrical only so holding tank capacity becomes very important.
I am in contact with a 2011 321RLMS owner who feels that he has the same issue with the holding tanks. He is currently in the process of finding out. If this is true then Jayco has put out the wrong specs on this model for 2 years running.
I think that they haven't been changed due to sales. Who would buy a large 5th wheel with small holding tanks HMMMM!
I have been in contact with jayco, the Better Business Bureau and the Michigan Attorney General on this issue.
I have received a response from Jayco that they are in the process of working on a fix for the problem. We are hopeing for a successfull resolution on this issue. We will keep you posted on the outcome. The one bright point is I no longer crab at the wife for using up too much water :>)
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

We do a lot of boon docking. I would be one very unhappy Jayco owner if I found out after I bought a unit that my black holding tanks is 41% smaller than I thought. When purchasing a unit, black holding tank capacity is one of the "key elements" that "make or break" the potential deal.

No question about it, Jayco would be hearing from my attorney.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #8

I used the wrong words on the other forum and got the thread shut down. My appologies to the OP and those who were following it.

I have nothing new to add here other then my dealer on my behalf contacted Jayco and has confirmed that the tanks are 30 gallon. Jayco did not provide any responce as to what they will or won't do.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #9

Has anyone gotten any updates on the small tank issue? The wife and I finally got to use our 321rlms for the first time and the tanks filled way too fast. This is a major issue due to the fact we are planning to full time in it, we passed up several trailers with small tanks only to end up with one, very frustrating.

2006 GMC CC DRW LBZ
sandwichbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #10

I have read a few posts about this issue as well. I have a new 2011 321RLTS. Will check my tanks soon. Have not heard it affects anything other than the Mega Slide. Dealer had one and I looked at it, but the salesman told that perhaps it was not my best option. Actually liked the 321RLTS better. Had a rather bad PDI, came back the next day and things were much better. Do have a punch list, worst is the optional 15K AC in the RL is not working.
Smithrjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #11

Changing specifications is one thing but advertising one thing and delivering another is a different issue. IMHO
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #12

Well I heard back from Jayco this morning.

" The tanks in your trailer are the correct capacities, we did have a misprint in our brochures. we have now corrected it on our website".

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. We wouldn't have bought it if we had known the true size.

2006 GMC CC DRW LBZ
sandwichbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichbob View Post

" The tanks in your trailer are the correct capacities, we did have a misprint in our brochures. we have now corrected it on our website".

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. We wouldn't have bought it if we had known the true size.
Jayco seems to have a lot of trouble with the accuracy of their documentation.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichbob View Post

I totally understand your frustration. Tank size was a primary factor in our recent 5th wheel purchase. We were initially buying a Keystone, however, the holding tanks were ridiculously small. I even called their mfr b/c I thought they had a misprint in the brochure.
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #15

Camper 10

Jayco is wrong, I checked the website this morning. The website shows 52 gallon black water, 89 grey water. I would not be happy, if they put smaller tanks on my 365 BHS. I get very tired of dumping water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camper 10
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote