Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #1

How are your thermal pane Windows holding up?

Getting close to ordering a 2017 Pinnicle. I have been reading threads with most people saying they love them. The dealer is trying to talk me out of them saying they are junk and all will fail over time and no he knows I will be doing an order not buying from the lot. He also is saying that jayco does not warranty their dual pane Windows. I have not confirmed this with jayco though. So my question is for those who have these Windows, how have they held up for you? Love all the pros of having them, but I know if they leak your going to have foggy Windows and as I'm seeing it's a costly repair. Yes we will be doing late fall and early winter camping In Michigan. Nights can get down to the teens. Tia, chris
Cgelmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Verify that all the windows will be thermal. I have read that only sliding windows can be thermal not tilt out. Could be bad info but I would make sure. I have a small number of friends who have had to start replacing windows due to bad seals after 5-6 years.

There could be improvements in construction methods since then but from what I see, things are getting cheaper built not better.

They add some weight to the rig if that is a consideration.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #3

We ordered our 2011 fifth wheel with dual pane windows and have towed it over 50,000 miles. So far, there have been no issues with fogging. Our windows are made by Kinro.

I do expect that eventually they will fog but I hope to find a do it yourself cure for the problem.

With respect to the warranty, Jayco advertises a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and I can't imagine that the windows are excluded from that.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

I love mine. This is the first coach I've had with them. We always has condensate issues on the single pane windows in the cold northwest wet weather. I love these. They most certainly are covered under my warranty. For anything a single pane would be...

They are a relatively expensive option that many dealers skip to keep the price down on floored models. Mine does too.

I think the expectations of them keeping the coach cool in extreme hot weather may also be the cause as I don't think they change the insulation value significantly and may not help as much as someone spending a couple grand may expect them too. So it's an easier out for the dealer with a customer who is hot if they don't have them in the equation..

I was custom ordering. My dealer suggested I skip them as well and save the money but when we talked about condensation inside on cold mornings he said they would be beneficial in that scenario. I figured I was so far into configuring this coach why skimp..

He did also mention they add weight.

The tilt put windows are all thermal. Every window came with a sticker identifying them as such

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #5

Love ours as well. JAYCO warrants them for the 2 years just like everything else and the frameless tilt out are thermal.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

We had the dual pane windows in our 2007 Cameo and just last year the rear window started fogging up on a regular basis. We traded for the 2016 Pinnacle & the salesman talked us out of the dual pane windows when we ordered the unit. There is definitely a noticeable difference and wished we had purchased them.

When the 2007 Cameo was broken into, they broke one of the dual pane windows and it took time to get a replacement in.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

When we ordered our trailer the salesman really did not want to order the dual pane windows; from comments, this reluctance seems to be common. I guess as others have said it adds too much to the price and makes it more difficult to sell in the event the deal on the ordered trailer falls through.

Seems like the dealer might like the additional profit that dual pane windows cause, however.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
We ordered our 2011 fifth wheel with dual pane windows and have towed it over 50,000 miles. So far, there have been no issues with fogging. Our windows are made by Kinro.
Ditto on our 2012 and would order again...actually would not be w/o them.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

They are all thermal, frameless, quieter, cooler, sun blocking very tinted, and will be warmer if you travel where cold. Think the cost $2000 or so is a good investment. Hope no issues.

2015 Sierra 2500 SLT Duramax CC, Nav, Onstar WIFI, 20K Reese Elite
fljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:20 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your reply. I feel much better knowing most would get this option. Thanks for the input!
Cgelmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:43 AM   #11

I have dual pane windows, not frameless, in my Designer and would not be without them. I full time and condensation has never ever been a problem. But,

At the 4 year mark I noticed a couple of them were fogging up between the panes. On closer inspection as the summer progressed I had 6-7. So what to do? I made an appointment in Hudson, FL the week ahead of my trip to Ft. Wilderness and had every window in the rig removed and reworked. It was a bit pricey but made more sense to me to do all of them when I was there. They are Kinro windows also. I don't consider them junk as a previous post said was mentioned by his dealer, but they could be sealed better. Other things on RV's are definitely junk, but I don't hear any mentions of dealers calling rubber roofs junk, but that is a topic for other threads some of which I have already written.

Would I rework all of my windows again - Definitely
Would I buy dual pane windows again - Definitely, but a part timer or weekend camper might not want to.

Would I buy a rubber roof again - Yes, only because it is all you can get, but would have it sprayed over by RV Flex Armor before I ever moved in. Just the cost of getting it right the first time.

Off of soapbox and ready for another cup!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #12

We just spent 10 days near Destin in 95+ degree weather.
In our old TT you could feel the heat radiating in the single pane windows. With the insulated windows, there was just some warmth, not the baking heat. We were in a site with no shade and were able to maintain 72 degrees with both ACs cycling, not running continuously. Nice not having to leave the shades drawn or resort to the aluminum bubble wrap stuff to block heat. The 5th didn't feel like a cave.
We are pleased to say the least.
On our 2016, all windows are insulated including the tilts and even the small ones in the bedroom slide.
The only non insulated is the one in the entry door. The heat really baked in on that one. We may look for a shade for it.
Can't wait to see how it does in the fall/winter with the cold.
I would not be without them.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
We just spent 10 days near Destin in 95+ degree weather.
In our old TT you could feel the heat radiating in the single pane windows. With the insulated windows, there was just some warmth, not the baking heat. We were in a site with no shade and were able to maintain 72 degrees with both ACs cycling, not running continuously. Nice not having to leave the shades drawn or resort to the aluminum bubble wrap stuff to block heat. The 5th didn't feel like a cave.
We are pleased to say the least.
On our 2016, all windows are insulated including the tilts and even the small ones in the bedroom slide.
The only non insulated is the one in the entry door. The heat really baked in on that one. We may look for a shade for it.
Can't wait to see how it does in the fall/winter with the cold.
I would not be without them.
I am in Panama City Beach, FL and have been here since May 1. I agree with you on how well the dual pane windows work. Since I'm in mine year round you will like the winter performance as well and outside sounds aren't heard as loud either. Win Win year round from my perspective.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote