Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

How to carry a 400 pound motorcycle on my new 323lkts

The trailer has a hitch on rear bumper that will accept a carrier that would work for my 400 pound Norton commando. However upon reading the manual the trailer hitch is rated at 300 pounds. Is there anyway to reinforce the hitch to handle 500 pounds? I don't want to tow anything and thr fifth wheel eliminates the truck bed. So you guys w/cycles how do you carry them. Thanks, rick
Rgrigutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

If you modify it you could void any warranty if you are still under one. The same for using it to tow.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

I don't mind voiding my frame warranty, already have, kind of, but as many hitches as I've built and installed on RV frames, I still don't think I'd put that much weight back there. We used to double tow a lot, but even the tongue load of the boat wasn't near that. Sure, it could be done, but I probably wouldn't, especially on a Lippert I-beam frame. That's a lot of weight hanging off the back end.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I don't mind voiding my frame warranty, already have, kind of, but as many hitches as I've built and installed on RV frames, I still don't think I'd put that much weight back there. We used to double tow a lot, but even the tongue load of the boat wasn't near that. Sure, it could be done, but I probably wouldn't, especially on a Lipper I-beam frame. That's a lot of weight hanging off the back end.
X2!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #5

I have done it with a 05 Everest 32ft. 5er with a 10in. I beam frame and a Harley softtail 600lbs. over 20,000mi. with no problem. 10in. I beam frame no mods
look at mightyhauler.com with 3 point attachment. one reciever each frame rail and one on a added cross member. less than 200lbs. each.
500lbs. on rear will remove up to 200from pin and add both or 700 to axles so make sure cargo capacity will not exceed GVW and pin wt. is enough put all your heavy stuff in the bedroom closet to add weight to pin. specs on trailer show 2,500 cargo and 1,900 pin which is a little light on pin if that's accurate .I would weight it first.
And yes it will void structural warranty.
PS I currently haul a 08 Harley electra glide on a 2010 35rlts with frame and suspension upgrades. It has a similar floor plan to yours but 16,000 GVW and 4,000 cargo cap. bike and lift about 1,000lbs I have traveled with this setup over 40,000 miles
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote