Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #21
One thing to consider, if an HT has to be raised using the lower holes on the spring shackles, spring for a full wet bolt kit. Well worth it. Greaseable bolts, bronze bushings and heavier shackles will likely last as long, or longer, than the FW. Just one more option that any RV mfr would sell a ton of...if they offered it.

LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #22
We bought a 26.5 RLS in 2012 and, by itself, I believe we would be fine with a tow-ready half ton, because this FW only drops my 3/4 GMC D/A combo crew-cab by one inch when we hitch it up and put the jacks up. But we have a diesel due to the fact that we tow a 19' Crestliner behind the FW when going to the lake to fish and recreate. I'm not sure that a half ton would handle all that weight when towing, but our diesel does it just fine. Since you are talking about a larger FW, I would suggest that you go with a 3.4 ton, gas or diesel will probably not be that big a deal. The diesel will last, probably, longer than the gas engine and I would have to disagree with a previous poster, I don't believe that maintenance is much more expensive than a gasser, if you don't have major problems with the engine or the transmission. Price is another consideration, as diesels are quite a bit more expensive than the gassers similarly equipped, but the resale value is also quite a bit higher down the road so you might not be out too much money overall. With three slides, that will be a bit heavier FW than mine so I agree with the other posters, you probably should look pretty hard at a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton.

2012 GMC 2500HD D/A Crewcab
2012 Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS
2009 Crestliner Superhawk 1900
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote