Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

I should have listened... change the factory tires on Pinnacle

Well we are in the middle of our PCS (move) to South Dakota; our 2015 Pinnacle had what I considered new quality tires with less than 3000 miles in them but boom! We had a blow out after crossing through some famous Texas road construction. The drivers side rear blew apart, shredded the tire, ripped off the plastic fender protector, ripped the metal wheel surround and tore apart the wheel lining. Upon further investigation another of these tires has three large bulges formed on the sidewal, ready to let loose. Two tires showed extreme belt damage as well. So today, I bought new Goodyear Marathons, kudos to the Freestone dealer on Fort Carson for a quick order, expedient appointment and a respectable price. Can't say I wasn't warned to change them but those of you still running the Jayco factory Rainier tires, pls watch them closely and travel safely.
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #2

You don't really get the true picture until it happens to YOU!! Been there and done that. Hope your collateral damage was minimal. Tires are something that should never be price shopped. If your FW is going to be parked in the sun for long periods of time, invest in some tire covers to protect them from sun. Hope your Marathons work out!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 AM   #3

I was in my dealer a couple of days ago and they showed me a literal mountain of blown oem tires from Jayco trailers/fifth wheels, etc. Most were BlowMax, but other brands were there as well. I changed mine after two trips right after I bought it. I couldn't stand not knowing when one was going to blow. I now ride on G614's and feel much better.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #4

Ft Carson, Colorado?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Ft Carson, Colorado?
Yes Fort Carson, CO; we spent almost a week staying in the USAF Academy FamCamp and found the Firestone dealer on Ft Carson near the BX. Amazing area, even took the dually TV to the top of Pikes Peak.... 14,110 feet! We will be back
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

After reading several horror stories like yours on the forum I bought a pressure monitor. It made the jump from the HTT to the 5th when we traded. Never had a problem on the first TT but our 5th had 2 tires fail in a 75 mile stretch with a 3rd ready to join his brothers. The monitor alerted me to both failures before any damage was done (other than needing new tires). I'm a solid believer!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Curious, are these 15" tires?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

RedHorse, installing TPM's on the trailer seems like a reasonable option to replacing the original 2 year old tires on my 2015 Eagle. From reading on the Jayco Forum, TST seems to be the most widely used but I am not sure whether it is worth popping the tires off and taking the tires in to get internal monitors installed or whether to go with the valve stem sensors. Did you have to use an extender with your 5th wheel ?

Putting TPMs on in the spring would in essence pay for the TPMS if I can get another season out of the stock tires and I'll still have the TPM's after. I am just getting concerned about having too many monitors in the cockpit: GPS, tuner/monitor for tranny temps, future backup camera, big screen OLED TV with Playstation Blueray player, etc. (Wait, that last one will be for the TT not the cockpit of the TV
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
RedHorse, installing TPM's on the trailer seems like a reasonable option to replacing the original 2 year old tires on my 2015 Eagle. From reading on the Jayco Forum, TST seems to be the most widely used but I am not sure whether it is worth popping the tires off and taking the tires in to get internal monitors installed or whether to go with the valve stem sensors. Did you have to use an extender with your 5th wheel ?
Ottaw, I did not need an extender with my install. I got mine from Minder Research and have been pleased with them. I do see lots of folks like the TST. My motive in buying the monitor was not so much extending the use of the existing tires but to avoid the damage when they disintegrate. My original tires (TM's) failed at about the 3 yr mark.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
Yes Fort Carson, CO; we spent almost a week staying in the USAF Academy FamCamp and found the Firestone dealer on Ft Carson near the BX. Amazing area, even took the dually TV to the top of Pikes Peak.... 14,110 feet! We will be back
I was stationed there long ago and love Colorado Springs. Did you pull up Raton Pass between New Mexico and Colorado? I've never towed anything up that pass but had a Bronco II years ago that could barely make that climb at 45 mph.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #11

Our rig came new with GY Marathons ST's, E rated, and ran them with no problems for about a year.

Since we are traveling about 9 months of the year decided to get better tires for our heavy rig (we are about 15,200) and chose the Sailun G rated LT tires and are much more comfortable.

Good luck and safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Site Team

My TST system works great without a signal booster.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I was stationed there long ago and love Colorado Springs. Did you pull up Raton Pass between New Mexico and Colorado? I've never towed anything up that pass but had a Bronco II years ago that could barely make that climb at 45 mph.
Pulled from CO Springs up through Raton Pass last July. Beautiful country. Stayed at the campground at Raton. Altitude at its finest!!

Cheers
Old 09-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My TST system works great without a signal booster.
I don't need a signal booster either.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #15

Our Minder Research does need a booster. I would get "false flats" on the 23B until I installed it. When we traded to the 5th it made the jump too and is installed in the basement.
Not needing a booster would be nice but I've installed it and haven't given it much thought since.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
After reading several horror stories like yours on the forum I bought a pressure monitor. It made the jump from the HTT to the 5th when we traded. Never had a problem on the first TT but our 5th had 2 tires fail in a 75 mile stretch with a 3rd ready to join his brothers. The monitor alerted me to both failures before any damage was done (other than needing new tires). I'm a solid believer!

Have same Monitoring system. What indications did you get prior to failure? If temps how high over average? Good to share the indication trending so others can be warned as well.

I put 17.5" Goodyear G114 H rated tires and new 17.5" rims on my 14 Seismic. Replaced the E rated Blowmax specials. Moving to a '16 and I'm taking them with me (just 600 miles on them since mounted on the '14). Told dealer they can keep the new stock Gs and rims. They are G instead of E on the '16 but a brand I've never heard of so I'm keeping the 3.6k$ investment.

Thoughts by the way on filling these with Nitrogen instead of ambient air? The new '16s are Nitrogen filled.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post

Putting TPMs on in the spring would in essence pay for the TPMS if I can get another season out of the stock tires and I'll still have the TPM's after. I am just getting concerned about having too many monitors in the cockpit: GPS, tuner/monitor for tranny temps, future backup camera, big screen OLED TV with Playstation Blueray player, etc. (Wait, that last one will be for the TT not the cockpit of the TV
We use a TPMS and it has helped us stay safe and save a tire from being damaged by running it on low air pressure when it developed a slow leak. But no TPMS will save you from a blow out caused by a tire with broken belts and bulges in the sidewall. Some TPMS systems give some information about air temperature within a tire (like my TST system) which can maybe forecast a tire failure. But the TPMS will not prevent that failure from occurring. A tire that is prone to those sudden failures will not be made secure by the use of a TPMS; the only cure is new tires.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
We use a TPMS and it has helped us stay safe and save a tire from being damaged by running it on low air pressure when it developed a slow leak. But no TPMS will save you from a blow out caused by a tire with broken belts and bulges in the sidewall. Some TPMS systems give some information about air temperature within a tire (like my TST system) which can maybe forecast a tire failure. But the TPMS will not prevent that failure from occurring. A tire that is prone to those sudden failures will not be made secure by the use of a TPMS; the only cure is new tires.
I had two blowouts on new Chinese built tires in 2010. I heard the explosion and was pulling on the shoulder of the road before the tire monitor went off. I had bought the tire minders just before that trip because i had been reading about certain Chinese tires that were in question. I am sold on tire monitors even tho blowouts like that can't be forecast. I had just went thru the screen on the monitor just before the first tire exploded. All pressures and temperatures were very normal when it blew. I had lost a tire the previous year from what I suspect was a slow leak in which a trucker got my attention that I had a flat. I thought that as much as I have towed over the years, I would surely feel a tire going flat. I was WRONG!!!
I replaced all the tires after the failures with new Marathons in Nebraska after the second tire failed.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flsa, goodyear, pinnacle, rainier, tires