Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
troutslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW AR (God's Country)
Posts: 1,725
As a few have already mentioned, the best thing to do is let it air out and run fan(s) as much as possible. Also, as mentioned, there is a lot less formaldehyde used in building products these days due to the CARB complance regs that came into effect around 2009 and 2011 (don't remember the exact years cuz I've been out of that bus for awhile). Formaldehyde will never be 100% eliminated because just about every solid material emits formaldehyde...even human beings. It's just the amount of formaldehyde that's the problem.
__________________

__________________
Skip

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: montreal
Posts: 559
You better worry about water leaks then anything else....
__________________

__________________
Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS 2014

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,356
Open the windows run the roof fans for a few days and the problem will be solved...
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
93 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
wags999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Surprise
Posts: 1,323
I would disagree with the title of this thread. You may have off gassing of odors but I don't believe their are "Toxic" fumes. They may be irritating to some, but not toxic. Toxic chemicals have all but been removed from consumer products. If toxic chemicals were present, that needed to be off gassed you would expect a sign the size of a poster warning about it. As said, opening windows and airing out your rig will, over time, rid the "new smell".

Happy Camping.
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 763
Cook some bacon in it..
__________________
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,264
There's not much you can do. Open the windows and turn on the fans until it seems better. But this I can tell you, you're not huffing in toxic fumes. If you were, it would be a bigger deal than the "airbag recall" going on right now. They may be irritating and nasty smelling, but harmful? Not so much. That's like saying the "new car smell" is dangerous when in fact, it's not.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Harriman
Posts: 85
We've had our 5er for a few days and the fumes are killing me. I figured this was going to happen because, as I mentioned earlier, I have fibro and smells are hard on me. I'm trying to clean and organize the RV, but I am getting the shakes, lung pain, a sore throat and headache.

I want to air it out, but it's really humid here right now. If I opened the windows and tried to air it out with fans, would the humidity be bad for the rig? Also, I read someone saying turn up the heat and bake the smell out. LOL Does anyone know if that really works? I feel so blessed to have a new RV, but the smells are driving me out. Thanks.

~Lisa
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post
We've had our 5er for a few days and the fumes are killing me. I figured this was going to happen because, as I mentioned earlier, I have fibro and smells are hard on me. I'm trying to clean and organize the RV, but I am getting the shakes, lung pain, a sore throat and headache.

I want to air it out, but it's really humid here right now. If I opened the windows and tried to air it out with fans, would the humidity be bad for the rig? Also, I read someone saying turn up the heat and bake the smell out. LOL Does anyone know if that really works? I feel so blessed to have a new RV, but the smells are driving me out. Thanks.

~Lisa
First off you need to open that thing up and air it out. I'm not sure where you got the notion that your RV is airtight thus protecting itself from the relative humidity, but it's not, whatever the humidity is outside is the same inside. Turn on your vent fan, turn the heating system on to 85 or so and let it go for a day or two. It's a good opportunity to start testing all of your systems and make sure they work, but the only thing that's going to help with offgassing is time and heat.

And cook some Bacon inside your rig.... Bacon always works... and it tastes good.

I don't like the new RV smells either, but they will be gone in about a week if you open it up, heat it up and get the air circulation going.
__________________
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 246
This worked for me, I am very sensitive and get headaches from VOCs when most people don't even notice there is an issue. After a week in my driveway with the windows open 24/7 everything was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Your not crazy. Our unit, after baking in the sun, will have quite the odor. I don't think you can do much other than let it bake and air out many times. It eventually dissipates.

I don't worry about it much. If we are using it, the windows are open so the smell gets aired out.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin'_Nana View Post
We've had our 5er for a few days and the fumes are killing me. I figured this was going to happen because, as I mentioned earlier, I have fibro and smells are hard on me. I'm trying to clean and organize the RV, but I am getting the shakes, lung pain, a sore throat and headache.

I want to air it out, but it's really humid here right now. If I opened the windows and tried to air it out with fans, would the humidity be bad for the rig? Also, I read someone saying turn up the heat and bake the smell out. LOL Does anyone know if that really works? I feel so blessed to have a new RV, but the smells are driving me out. Thanks.

~Lisa
Open and leave open the windows if you can.

If the dealer did not run the furnace and stove, you will get a lot of smell for the 1st half hour of run time, it will even setoff the smoke detector if the windows are closed. It takes a few hours to air out that smell.

The smell disappeared fairly quick.
__________________

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.