Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Ideas for helping to reduce toxic off gassing of new RV?

We are concerned with the toxic off gassing (formeldahyde, glues, laminate, carpet, etc) just wondering what folks do to help mitigate the off gassing process? In addition to airing it out by opening all the windows and vents, I'm thinking installing a couple fantastic fans would help along with the maxxair vent covers. Ordered 2 air purifiers that are supposed to help. I've also read about closing up the rig, turning up the heat up (to help release the VOCs) then ventilating well, using fans. Any other suggestions? We will be getting a brand new fifth wheel that was just built. We spend 50% of our time in our 5th wheel and have 2 small children, so indoor air quality is important. Thanks.

Obenaufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
I would tell you that you are obsessing over something that is not a big deal. We have had two new FWs and neither one had any problem with what you are describing, both of them Jaycos. And, I have never seen that problem discussed either here on this site or at RV.net.

2012 GMC 2500HD D/A Crewcab
2012 Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS
2009 Crestliner Superhawk 1900
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Embalmed in Your RV: Formaldehyde Poisons Vacationers - ABC News
Obenaufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Probably whatever you do with a car, which is much worse as the space is more confined.

Personally I am a fan of fresh air.
2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB.. 10,500 miles under tires as of today.
Been down many a dirt road in the west. We go where not too many rv'ers go.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
I have no problems with our new Jayco as far as any kind of smell/irritants. Years ago we did have one that burned our eyes when walking into it on a warm day. Supposed to be in 80's here tomorrow and camper has been closed up for the week, so I'll see how it is when we get to it.. I would think running the fans and keeping a few windows cracked open would help dissipate unwanted odors etc if you experience any with yours.
2017 North Point 377RLBH

UpstateNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
I would think air turnover would be the most important factor in preventing a concentration build up. Keep your fantastic fans running and provide a source of fresh air far enough away to circulate the air. That is going to make it hard to run the AC though.
IIRC the off-gassing tends to abate naturally over time, so you may find it is not necessary to do this forever.
You might also want to invest in an air quality test kit (about $100) that will tell you if your new unit has an issue in the first place. That might end up less expensive than all the measures you are contemplating.
2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Our FW was new right from the factory and we never experienced any smell or toxic off gassing (formeldahyde, glues, laminate, carpet, etc).
The DW is very sensitive to that, so she would have noticed, mentioned something if there was any issue.

Different manufacturers use different processes which have different results with smell and off gassing. I remember years ago the new Sunnybrooks had a very strong formeldahyde smell. But our Jayco had no such smell.

So I double that you'll have any problem with your new Jayco.
But if you do, any or all of the ideas you stated will work.

Good luck.
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 361REQS
2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4 CC D/A
ROC-REQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Industry has all but removed the vast majority of formaldehyde. Particle board almost zero, laminate zero, carpet, finishes etc all almost or zero. Our TT has been closed for about a month here in Az. It's been 115 to 120 the last week, went into it this morning and no problem. Having been in the wood industry I am familiar with the smell and burning eyes formaldehyde can cause. My DW is very sensitive to it and there was zero issues.

This is an old problem and something that has been in forefront for years. We picked our TT up at the factory and lived in it for about 6 months..with no issue at all.

Good Luck and happy camping !
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Your not crazy. Our unit, after baking in the sun, will have quite the odor. I don't think you can do much other than let it bake and air out many times. It eventually dissipates.

I don't worry about it much. If we are using it, the windows are open so the smell gets aired out.
2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS (ordered 12/30/15, delivered 3/8/16)
2015 F-350 crew cab, short bed, 6.7L PSD, Pullrite Superglide 3300 hitch
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
You are not obsessing, as off gassing of chemicals can be very dangerous to a person's health. I have fibromyalgia and am highly sensitive to things like that and after having kidney cancer nearly 5 years ago, I am conscious of things like this now. I can get horrible headaches, lung pain and even break out in hives sometimes. I am sensitive to smells and can always smell things that other people can't. We don't have our 5er yet, but after reading some of the other comments, I'm hoping it's not going to be a problem.

Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote