Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #1

Induction cooktop retrofit?

I'm tossing around the idea of replacing the oven/3 burner combo with a double burner induction cooktop. Has anyone done this? We don't use the oven to cook with (it stores our cast iron cookware) and we rarely use the gas burners. We usually cook outside. If we do cook inside, we usually use the nuwave induction cooktop.

I'm trying to source some matching countertop material so I can have a flush mounted cooktop and I'll build a large drawer in place of the oven (maybe two smaller drawers). Any advice or opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

Sounds like an interesting mod. If you go ahead with this please post pictures!

My thoughts.....
If you rarely cook inside would you benefit from just replacing the cooktop with more counterspace and the oven with storage?
Will this mod affect resale value? Do you care if it does?
Do you always camp with shore power or battery power capable of running an induction cooktop?
I am assuming you have a outdoor gas grill to cook on for the majority of your cooking.

We don't usually camp with hookups so I want to do something similar by getting rid of our Microwave and adding storage space there.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Induction cooktop IMO would be a major upgrade. Safety for one thing because after usage it's hot but not losing skin type hot in case of toddlers around. Plus boils water about 5 times faster.
It would be equally nice to have a microwave that also works as a convection oven, then you could indeed use the regular oven for storage.

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
We don't use the oven to cook with (it stores our cast iron cookware) and we rarely use the gas burners. We usually cook outside. If we do cook inside, we usually use the nuwave induction cooktop.
Similar with us.

Couple years ago thought about doing what you are thinking. Then we thought, what if we ever get a new rig? Will we have trouble selling/trading (will it be a pro/con) our current 5ver because of not having gas burners and a oven? Then we will have to go through all over again removing the gas and replaciing wih induction.

We said, nah, not worth it.

Our 'portable' NuWave PIC works just fine;

And our NuWave Oven makes some delicious meals;

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

Subaru

We never boondocks. Only camp with hookups. Yes, all my cooking outdoors is on a camp chef
We have a convection microwave so I'm not sure it'll make a difference on resale. Especially since most high end rigs are coming with induction now anyways. Not worried about trade in. I can always put it back to stock configuration

Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

I've been having an issue while using my NuWave induction cook top and my Keurig at the same time. So many items running from 1 circuit even though they are opposite sides of the camper. Trips the breaker all the time. There's no way I could run 2 at the same time. It sure would be nice on the rainy days when cooking over an open fire are impossible.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
I've been having an issue while using my NuWave induction cook top and my Keurig at the same time. So many items running from 1 circuit even though they are opposite sides of the camper. Trips the breaker all the time. There's no way I could run 2 at the same time. It sure would be nice on the rainy days when cooking over an open fire are impossible.
Use the microwave plug , it's another circuit
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

Here's a link to someone that did exactly what I'm thinking of doing. His turned out pretty good.

http://wdbmedia.com/TRUE-INDUCTION/I...tallation.html

Old 11-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #9

DW uses the NuWave all the time. Brought it in from the 5W for Thanksgiving cooking.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
DW uses the NuWave all the time. Brought it in from the 5W for Thanksgiving cooking.
So do you have it in as a retrofit as that is the topic?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
So do you have it in as a retrofit as that is the topic?
Your post Our 'portable' NuWave PIC works just fine;
So does ours, well enough to bring inside
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I'm tossing around the idea of replacing the oven/3 burner combo with a double burner induction cooktop. Has anyone done this? We don't use the oven to cook with (it stores our cast iron cookware) and we rarely use the gas burners. We usually cook outside. If we do cook inside, we usually use the nuwave induction cooktop.

I'm trying to source some matching countertop material so I can have a flush mounted cooktop and I'll build a large drawer in place of the oven (maybe two smaller drawers). Any advice or opinions?

I just installed one in our home for the remodel. For the size you are talking about its a 50 amp circuit and if they are not professional installed you generally can nix the warranty.

Are they good? NO, they are G R E A T!!! You will never go back to gas or electric.

After extensive research and talking to a LOT of folks in the business who sell these things I ask the questions: Which unit do you have the least serlvice calls on and problems with....100% said: BOSCH!

They are NOT cheap, mine about $2k on sale IIRC, wife LOVES it and so do I! Its a Chefs dream!

As for putting one in a RV I would be hesitant to do much more than a small unit, 30 amps! Not sure the wiring in an RV is up to having a single appliance draw that kind of juice...
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote