Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #21

Nice job on your install..........looks good.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #22

We ran our exhaust out the passenger side where there is no slide and away from the bedroom window. We've run it at night with no fumes in the unit.
Moparmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #23

We have a 2017 Northpoint and DH opted for the propane Onan 5500. He is pretty much regretting it because of the amount of propane we are using. (boondock quite a bit). Does anyone know if it would be an easy swap/installation if we traded in the propane for a gas unit? The thought of the expense to do this seems ridiculous, but we are still hauling around our Honda generator with the propane unit not getting much use. Maybe have 30 hours on it.
mpollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #24

The Onan 5500 doesn't burn much more LP than a gasoline 5500. Look in your owners manual to compare the fuel consumption specs. The LP is just a little more on the 5500. Just seems a lot cause there isn't many gallons in an LP tank. Plus you add what the trailer is using.

If you must have gasoline, it may be simple as a gasoline carb, fuel lines and fuel pump. The engines are the same. But if you switch over, I think you will regret it.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
The Onan 5500 doesn't burn much more LP than a gasoline 5500. Look in your owners manual to compare the fuel consumption specs. The LP is just a little more on the 5500. Just seems a lot cause there isn't many gallons in an LP tank. Plus you add what the trailer is using.

If you must have gasoline, it may be simple as a gasoline carb, fuel lines and fuel pump. The engines are the same. But if you switch over, I think you will regret it.

Earl

I think m you would instantly regret it with no fuel tank onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #26

It isn't as much about the usage as it is about the convenience of gas vs. Propane. We can easily tote along a few 5 gallon gas cans, while trying to have additional 40# propane bottles is a bit of an issue. (storage, heavy, etc.) Anyone have any good ideas for dealing w/ the extra propane bottles?
mpollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpollack View Post
It isn't as much about the usage as it is about the convenience of gas vs. Propane. We can easily tote along a few 5 gallon gas cans, while trying to have additional 40# propane bottles is a bit of an issue. (storage, heavy, etc.) Anyone have any good ideas for dealing w/ the extra propane bottles?
Ok I got ya now. You stated about the amount of LP when it's actually LP cylinder storage. I plan to store 4 40lb cylinders against the front of the truck bed. I plan to run a cable lock through them and the bed so they don't walk off. I plan to ratchet strap them secure. You could build a wooden base with holes to set them into. Camping world sells a plastic base for 30/40 tanks that makes them more steady.

Another idea would be keep the extra cylinders in the truck and run an extend a stay kit/hose to the trailer.

You could also use a hitch rack on the rear of the trailer and store your LP tanks on it.

For us, we only need genset power 4 trips or so a year. The one trip is 3 days with 16+ genset hours per day. I'm pondering taking a 100lb cylinder for that trip. But than again you can get LP about anywhere now. Gas stations, campgrounds, RV dealers, LP dealers, General stores and etc.

Earl
Old 07-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #28

Ok, after reading all of these posts I am getting ready to purchase a 5500 evap unit. I see one post with exhaust run to driver side between slides. Why not run shorter distant to passenger side. That is whst I was planning. Please reply. Thanks
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Ok, after reading all of these posts I am getting ready to purchase a 5500 evap unit. I see one post with exhaust run to driver side between slides. Why not run shorter distant to passenger side. That is whst I was planning. Please reply. Thanks
So you don't smell it and hear it. Gasoline carbureted stink!. You don't want that noise and stink in your patio side.

Earl
Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #30

Quote:
So you don't smell it and hear it. Gasoline carbureted stink!. You don't want that noise and stink in your patio side.

Earl

Evan is LP, not gasoline.

2x Honda 2K
Old 07-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Evan is LP, not gasoline.

Huh?

Earl
Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #32

NewBlackDak. Not according to Norwalk and the specs I printed, it is a gas unit. But also looks available in LP.
My unit would be Onan 5.5HGJAB-6755
Old 07-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #33

Oh he meant evap was LP? Afraid not. You have your 5.5 gasoline carbureted, 5.5 gasoline EVAP (evaporated emissions, which just means it has a carbon canister for emissions). The 5.5 gasoline fuel injected and the 5.5 LP available in vapor or liquid LP. The LP wouldn't have EVAP since it has no gasoline vapors from a fuel tank. The fuel injection I believe is evap too.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Oh he meant evap was LP? Afraid not. You have your 5.5 gasoline carbureted, 5.5 gasoline EVAP (evaporated emissions, which just means it has a carbon canister for emissions). The 5.5 gasoline fuel injected and the 5.5 LP available in vapor or liquid LP. The LP wouldn't have EVAP since it has no gasoline vapors from a fuel tank. The fuel injection I believe is evap too.

Earl

Should stop posting on phone. Silly spell check, and that should have been a question mark at the end.

2x Honda 2K
Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #35

Gotcha Mopar. Makes sense.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #36

ONAN Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&paula View Post
I installed a Onan 5500 evap generator last week in my 2015 pinnacle. Jayco really did a great job with the prep. Everything worked perfectly. The hardest part was getting it in the compartment. I used a transmission jack with plywood attached as a base. Placed the generator on furniture slides and pushed it in. Worked out nice. The wiring was just plug and go on the controls and used wire nuts on the 120.
Tim - Good job on the 5500! Our 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS came with the Dry Camping package and that afforded us a gen prep kit like yours. I did some looking around and was drooling at the 6.5HGJAB-904 (6500). Our 5'r came loaded to the gills with goodies and I want to be sure to have enough power to go around. Does your 5500 run dual 15K AC's +? We'll be camping in Texas where it's HOT in the summer. With the gen prep kit, was it easy to install? Looks like mine has an electrical box inside the firebox for the connection. Then it's a matter of connecting everything. I'm tempted to have the dealer do it as I don't want to botch the job! Thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #37

The 5500 will run everything with no problem. I have ran it for over 24 hours in GA with very high temps. The hardest part was sliding in the compartment. The wiring is very easy. If you want to talk send me an email at tpemerson@live.com. I will give you my phone number.

Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #38

Did you have a red, black , and white wires coming from gen prep transfer switch? How is that wired to the Onan gen that just has a black, white, and green wire. Thanks
OggieDoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #39

The Onan should have two blacks. Black to red. Black to black. White to white. Green to green.

Earl

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Line-X premium
Old 08-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
Still have room for three battery's and a whole shelve to store the sewer hose connections and hose for the black tank flush

Attachment 21006

If you ever want to know if a Jayco has the prep for a gas generator look at the front storage, you will see the unleaded only sign.
Attachment 21007
Anyone have any details on this tank? Seriously considering installing a genset, I'm plumbed for LP but worried about dealing with LP all the time, a gas can is so much easier to fill and keep track of levels, and Onan EFI sounds easier and better the carburetors. Was thinking of using this tank if it isn't too complicated and $$ to obtain.
-David
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote