Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Installing 2nd AC

So we stayed in the camper this past weekend for the first time and everything went good except that in the 100+ Texas heat, the one ac unit could not keep up during the day. I am thinking about adding a 2nd ac in the bedroom to help keep it cool. I called my dealer and he said it should be wired for it (have 50 amp service). How hard will this be to do and what brands do ya'll recomend?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Very easy to install. The hardest part is getting the unit on the roof. I was lucky enough to have a forklift handy. I purchased a Dometic 13,500 Penguin for $664 for both the top and bottom from adventurer.net.
NJ321RLMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Dometic and Coleman are probably the two most popular brands of RV A/C units. A thread I saw on another forum had the concensus that both brands were pretty much equal in quality. I would suggest using the same brand and a similar model to the one you already have if it is one of the two (as far as I know, Jaycos are using Colemans). That way they will physically look more similar on the roof and inside and you will have to keep up with the maintenance issues of only the one brand.

If the present A/C is 13.5K, you might give some thought to moving the exisiting unit to the bedroom and putting a 15K where the original was. There isn't that much difference in price between 13.5K and 15K units.

You might also consider a heat pump if you camp a lot in campgrounds during the winter, especially if the CGs you use charge a flat rate for electricity. They don't cost that much more, could save you money and will cut down on propane usage in mildly cool weather. If nothing else, it would be a nice backup in case the furnace goes belly up. As far as I can tell, the only heat pump the Colemans have is a 15K btu unit.

In case you find yourself on the fence brandwise, I have a 4T Coleman heat pump residential package unit on my home that has been working its little heart out for the past 15 years. The only problem I've had with it was the freon had to be topped up about four years ago.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

We own a 365 BHS and two airs wont keep up either. we have even installed 1/2" foam sheathing in the windows with aluminum face. when its 100+ outside it gets to 92 degrees and AC doesnt satisfy till sometime in the early AM. see my post, i am new here.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

BigDaddy,

You might have the dealer check and make sure your units are working like they should. I have a 2011 365BHS and although both AC's run pretty much non-stop when the temps reach 100+, I can keep my entire unit in the mid 70ies. I do wish they would have installed a bigger main unit or at least installed 15k AC's in both holes.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #6

Camper 10

Big Daddy

I have a 365 BHS and I made a simply mod which fixed my air problem. Your problem is lack of air flow and the bunkhouse vent needs to covered up. I will send you the fix!!!!! I live in Texas and before I made the mod, I was ready to file a lemon law on Jayco. After the mod my bunkhouse is very cool and plenty of air flow. My camper will freeze you out!
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
Big Daddy

I have a 365 BHS and I made a simply mod which fixed my air problem. Your problem is lack of air flow and the bunkhouse vent needs to covered up. I will send you the fix!!!!! I live in Texas and before I made the mod, I was ready to file a lemon law on Jayco. After the mod my bunkhouse is very cool and plenty of air flow. My camper will freeze you out!
Please elaborate
admin_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

I have two a/c's in my 5'er. A 15K and a 13.5 in the bedroom. I know this won't help the OP, but I highly recommend the Polar Insulation and dual pane windows. My 5'er stays in the mid 70's even when 102 degrees outside. Both units do run all afternoon, but I'm comfy.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #9

Camper 10

I own a 2010 365 BHS. I had the same issue with the poor airflow in the bunk area. A major problem is the vent in the bunk room, I bought a vent pillow and this helps stop the heat from above. The real problem is the main unit in the livingroom. I took off the A/C cover and made an air deverter out of a pizza box. I took the box and inserted in the A/C cover. The box is angled towards the rear vent intake, this causes more air to go to the back vents. I have alot more air flow to the back room, you can feel the air all of the way to the floor. I have to run the Front A/C to cool the front of the camper. I also put in another A/C vent in the bunkhouse and shut off the back bathroom vent. The main room is still very cool and I camped in 108 degree temp. in Texas this summer. We run fans in the bunkhouse for better circulation. The camper is the same temp. in all the rooms. 150% better!!!!!
Camper 10
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote