Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Inverter Fan runs when Inverter is Off- 2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS

The inverter fan runs intermittently ( around every 15 to 30 minutes) even when the inverter is not in use.

Jayco indicates it should only run when the inverter is in use. It will run even when the inverter is off. They say it may be a defective inverter or the wiring or some other cause.

What behavior have you seen with your inverter fan on your Pinnacle 36FBTS? Does it continuously cycle on and off even when the inverter is off?

The dealer is ready to replace the inverter but the tech who looked at it said that the problem may lie in the fact that inverter may not have the appropriate amount of insulation so that it is over sensitive to heat.

We live 75 minutes from the dealership and would hate to make a trip and not have the problem resolved.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

That is the way it is designed. It has an internal transfer switch that is electronic. The manual for the inverter specifically says the fan will run in that fashion, nothing to do with insulation.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That is the way it is designed. It has an internal transfer switch that is electronic. The manual for the inverter specifically says the fan will run in that fashion, nothing to do with insulation.
Thanks Grumpy. So you are saying that the inverter fan will run even with the inverter off? Isn't that hard on the fan? I have my fw connected to shore power during the warm months even when it is not in use. That would mean the fan would run continually? Am I understanding you correctly?
Old 06-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Yes, it cycles even when on shore power. Ours has been doing that for 2 years.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, it cycles even when on shore power. Ours has been doing that for 2 years.
Interesting. Funny, that doesn't seem to be common knowledge at Jayco or the dealership. They were going to replace it. I wasn't comfortable with them doing that. Thought I would do more research.

On a side note, during the season, do you keep your fw on shore power? I have a battery minder 2012 that I could use to keep the battery charged and conditioned. Do you think there is any advantage doing that during the season? I do that generally after I have winterized it.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

I have a COLEMAN solar battery tender for when it's in storage, which isn't very often. Usually 2 months at the most.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
I have a COLEMAN solar battery tender for when it's in storage, which isn't very often. Usually 2 months at the most.
Thanks Grumpy. I would love to be able to use ours 10 months out of the year.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

I have the same problem and the same complaint.
I had the same inverter in my SOB and it did the same thing.
I didn't know better and sent it back to Xantrex. They sent it back and said nothing wrong with it.

The new one in my NorthPoint is under the floor of the bed and I can hear it vibrating. I got the dealer to put rubber mounts under it and it helped a lot.

Like Grumpy said, that's the way it works. It does it when the temp is in the low 40's too.

If your storing your Pinnacle and not using the fridge then shut off the breaker and the fan won't run anymore. It only runs when the fridge power is going through the internal transfer switch.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I have the same problem and the same complaint.
I had the same inverter in my SOB and it did the same thing.
I didn't know better and sent it back to Xantrex. They sent it back and said nothing wrong with it.

The new one in my NorthPoint is under the floor of the bed and I can hear it vibrating. I got the dealer to put rubber mounts under it and it helped a lot.

Like Grumpy said, that's the way it works. It does it when the temp is in the low 40's too.

If your storing your Pinnacle and not using the fridge then shut off the breaker and the fan won't run anymore. It only runs when the fridge power is going through the internal transfer switch.
Thanks Klassic, appreciate the confirmation. The dealership was going to swap it out. This information will save me a lot headaches. Good tip about shutting off the breaker for the fridge.

I suppose if I switched the battery off, it would have the same effect ( assuming I wasn't connected to shore power). I would just use my battery minder to maintain the battery.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #10

I have the very same annoying problem. At first I thought it was the converter but figured out it was the inverter. Outside temperature doesn't matter either. My inverter fan runs off and on year round.

Tags
inverter, pinnacle 36fbts