Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #1

It just won't stop

Howdy all. I travelled to Lexington, NE to attend an annual meeting. I was expecting a guest to stay with me for the meeting the next day. I arrived late and set things up. When I went to flush the commode, the foot valve was stiff (toilet has two pedals, one to flush, one for water). Then, the water just wouldn't stop running. Talk about PANIC! I exercised the foot valves (pedals) to no effect. Finally, I shut the water off to the entire fiver and set out to remove the Thetford Galaxy toilet (ughhh). I discovered that the linkage going from the foot pedal to the water valve was damaged. Because of the design, I can't find a way to access this linkage. I guess it's time to replace the ol' throne with a new one. This one lasted 15 years so I shouldn't complain. I was able to manually shut the toilet valve and restored water to the rest of the rig. I used jugs of water for flushing. The fiver is now home, and winterized. I was thinking of replacing it with one of those china models instead of plastic. I have heard some stories that the china ones can crack, however. What do you all think?
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

I would buy a new valve assembly for the one you have. It lasted 15 years, can't be all bad.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #3

I agree with 82corvette, a china toilet uses more water. If you always have full hookups then it wouldn't matter, but if you ever use the holding tanks the black water tank will fill much quicker.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Thanks Myles6543. I didn't know about the water usage difference. As far as a new valve assembly, I am having trouble finding one. They don't make my model anymore. I may have to go directly to Thetford for that one.
Thanks for your responses.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote