Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #1

Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS

Just bought a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS, will be picking it up next week. Does anyone have any issues I need to know about this unit. During orientation should I be looking at any specific issues. I have always own TT. this will be my first 5th Wheel.
mona44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

All systems on 5th Wheel work pretty much the same as your TT's did.

The main difference with a 5th Wheel is the hitching and towing.

I had a number of TT's before switching to a 5er many years ago, they do pull and back much different than TT's do.
The thing I had to re-learn was the backing due to the trailer's piviot point being in the bed of the truck instead of on the bumper.

On a 5th Wheel you always want to make sure the hitch is locked and secure before raising the landing gear.
Dropping a 5th Wheel out of the hitch into the bed of a truck is not a pretty sight!
(I have not dropped mine yet, but I both my inlaws have and I have seen it plenty of times)

Enjoy your new Jayco Eagle !!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

X2. As Rob said, be absolutely sure your hitch pin is securely locked into the hitch before raising the landing gear. A good way to do this is to put the truck in gear and gently pull ahead while the landing gear is still down. That should quickly stop the truck if you are hitched properly. If not, you will just separate with no damage.

The other thing I had to re-learn after switching from a TT is that the 5er cuts the corner when turning, much more than a TT. When making a sharp turn, you have to partially go past the turn with the truck, then turn sharply, which allows the 5er to pivot around the turn, instead of going over the curb or hitting the corner pole or post that is inevitably there.

You might get the idea better if you observe a tractor-trailer as he goes around a sharp turn, and then practice some in a deserted part of a Walmart parking lot or similar. Just take it easy and slow at first, and you will do fine. Good luck, and happy camping with your new 5er.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

We have the 26.5 RLS and I would suggest that you use the wardrobe slide extensively during the warranty period. We had ours back to the dealer three times to get the wardrobe slide functioning properly. It is manufactured by Lippert and commonly called Schwintec. They may have ironed out the problems by now, but it was a bit frustrating to own this FW for a while. However, the slide did work just fine for the whole summer season, after it got fixed so maybe it was just a little thing that needed fixing. As for the FW, we have enjoyed it very much, it has so much more room that our old 1993 Jayco Eagle 215 SD, you can stand up in the bedroom, the shower is nice and big so almost any sized person can take a shower. We also very much enjoyed the rear swivel chairs with the huge back window. Other than being very slow, the electric landing gear and stabilizer jacks are great and we used the outside stove a couple of times and it worked as it should have. Check out the big drawers beside the sink as you walk in the door. We loaded them up with pots and pans and they dragged, but our last trip to the dealer got that fixed so we could use them for anything. Depending on your expectations, I think you will enjoy this FW very much and will find that it is easier to hook up and tow than a TT, especially if you had a WDH on your TT.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

mona44,

Welcome to JOF; and Congrats on the Eagle.

I've owned two TTs before buying a FW; and they do tow straighter, but backing into a site is different. You'll lean quickly, I'm sure.
Cheap insurance($49.95) for the hitch is the Fifth Wheel System Latch Kit by Butches Services.

One piece of advice, after hitching to your truck, raise the landing gear only a couple inches off the ground. Hold the manual electric brake lever and try driving away too test the hitch mechanism. If for some reason it's not hitched properly; and falls, it won't damage your truck bed. Once this is done, you are ready to raise the landing gear for transport.

Have fun and be safe,

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

We have had ours for 1.5 years now and love it. We did make a couple of changes. 1. added adjustable shelving to the pantry and to the cabinets over the sink/stove. 2. added a workaround for Satellite (had problems using the existing cable/sat input). I do suggest that you keep an eye on the plumbing (under sink) with temperature changes the fittings want to loosen up. Nothing a little Teflon tape and a re snug wont fix. We do sometimes have water (when it rains hard) in the outside kitchen area. The seal ends butt at the top of the door creating a small gap for water to enter. If they would have put the seal on with the butt together on the bottom of the door would never have had the problem. We love the wardrobe and chairs in the back. Enjoy.
tinman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
mona44,

I've owned two TTs before buying a FW; and they do tow straighter, but backing into a site is different. You'll lean quickly, I'm sure.
Cheap insurance($49.95) for the hitch is the Fifth Wheel System Latch Kit by Butches Services.

Have fun and be safe,
Looks like a easy mod!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona44 View Post
Just bought a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS, will be picking it up next week. Does anyone have any issues I need to know about this unit. During orientation should I be looking at any specific issues. I have always own TT. this will be my first 5th Wheel.
We picked up an Eagle HT 26.5RKS last week (which is similar to your unit except it has a rear kitchen). The dealer did a great job of going over the entire trailer from outside to inside. However, we have noticed a few things that could have been fixed right then and there if I had taken a little more time doing my own additional inspection (I was in a hurry to drive the 350 miles back home).
Operate all of the windows, doors, shades and any moveable part. We discovered one window shade that had a broken cord. One of the wood support pieces under one of the dinnette seats was split. The weather strip around the entrance door was too thick and the screen door will not close properly but it closes o.k. when the screen door is shut when attached to the outer door (I did a poor job of explaining that one). I could go on for a couple other items but you get the picture. I can fix these things on my own but it was really the dealer's responsibility. In short, take your time and be thorough.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Congrats on your new 5th wheel. We have the HT 23.5 and although it's much smaller than your's I think most of the components and body are the same. Everything works as it should but watch out for some finishing touches. The couch was not well attached to the wall and came off, our fridge and stoves are in the slide out and the hole for the wires was punched out rough, also there was a screw coming on the back of the dinette bench seat and a small pebble under the lino. All in all, it was all fixed under warranty but I would be a little ticked off having to drive 300 miles for little stuff like this and would just fix myself. We are lucky to live 10 miles from our dealer.
Backing up is different, still working at that! Driving, we barely feel the 5th wheel behind, unlike a TT
Very pleased with Jayco and the product. I am sure you will love it.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

So today was the day, drive the fifth wheel home. Everything ready insurance , money and excitement .. I get a phone call from Camping World, the unit was damaged by worker. Apparently they left the power cord attached when they pulled the unit away from the service area. The back panel was destroyed. So they gave me several options, none that I liked. So I told them I would wait for a new unit. So back to where I started. At this point after seeing the damage, I'm concern about the quality of the product. Any suggestions......
mona44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #11

I would not worry about the product. That cord is "hard" connected (not just plugged into the 5er) so that kind of damage would happen to any manufacturers fifth wheel. However, it doesn't bode well for the workers at that CW location. It does reinforce the fact that even the dealer needs a check list when hooking up and pulling out.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

X2

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona44 View Post
Did you get your Eagle HT yet?
pictures would be nice
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #14

I so want this 5th wheel!!!! But our dealership here wants WAY too much for it and won't come down in price.
Enjoy yours!!!!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #15

Moving, shop around. I found that the price for our 26.5 RLS varied from MSRP of a little over #37,000 to around $24,000. However, when we finally made the decision, we could have driven from Wyoming to Indiana and purchased for about $24,000, drove 150 miles one-way to a "local" dealer and pay about $26,000 or about 250 miles to another dealer and pay around $27,000. You best bet is to shop around, find what you want, get a good quote on it and then see if your dealer will come close. That's what we did. I do believe our "local" dealer was trying to get our FW out the door as it had been on the lot for quite a while but they did drop the price after I told them what I could buy the FW for elsewhere. The difference was about the transportation cost from the manufacturer to the dealer so I felt they treated my pretty fairly.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #16

Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS

We have owned ours for 19 months now and have spend 1-1/2 summers living in it. I have experienced the following minor problems: 1. We picked it up new from the dealer and after arriving in New Mexico for the summer, we discovered that the 3 bedroom lights and the outside scare light had quit working. After spending several hours trying to troubleshoot the problem, I gave up and we put a clipon light back there to get us by until we could take it back to the dealer. It turned out that the ground wire for the circuit on the outside scare light had vibrated loose causing all 4 lights to fail. 2) Jayco by design wired the television antenna to the TV in the living area and the outside cable connection to the television in the bedroom. In order to get my satellite signal into the living area, I had to string a cable through the trailer from the bedroom to the living area. I am having a second cable outlet installed before we head out this summer. I contacted Jayco about this problem and they're response was that that was their "intended build". 3) The water fill for the fresh water tank is located above the rear bumper. While traveling down the highway, I will lose about a fourth of my fresh water from it sloshing out of the overflow. 4) The drawer under the couch came apart from the weight of the cabinet top extension and inflatable air mattress being stored in there. 4) The black water & grey water drain labels are reversed. 5) The swivel rockers are terrible - no lumbar support and the arm rests are so high that they inflame my shoulders. I have had to replace both of them with a pair of ergonomical chairs. 5) The aluminum skin on the underbelly of the front bedroom stops short about 3 inches on each side of the pin box and I noticed the fiberglass insulation trying to work it's way out through the large gap. I fixed that with several strips of wide Gorilla Tape on each side. Everything else including all of the slides have worked great. I am going to upsize to a larger 5er after I replace my truck this winter. I am considering the Jayco Premier or possibly even one made by a different manufacturer.
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote