Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 winter full timing

Ok folks

So I am facing a tough decision. We took new jobs and it's in the northern part of New Mexico.

The rentals are essentially non existent and we cannot buy a house until our current one sells.

Therefore one option we have for my wife and 3 kids is to stay in the Jayco until something comes up.

Is this a viable option? What is the likelihood of having a serious issue?

Temps can get below 0 there.

Help ideas needed please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #2

Can't help you with your issue but semper fi and welcome home, jarhead. Glad you made it back.

Happy RVing,
Jeff (Vietnam Vet, Army combat infantry, weapons squad)
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

Hello,

Got some thoughts for you. I am sure that others will add things I forget.

1. Are there RVparks open in the area? Will they have water and sewer available through the winter?

2. RV's are poorly insulated and heating will be your biggest challenge. You will need to use your furnace to add heat to your underbelly and plumbing to keep things from freezing. You can use supplemental electric heat in the living area but that will not heat the underbelly. Adding Reflectix over the windows will help but will block light and make things darker.

3. For water you will need a heated and insulated hose or you can fill your water tank and use your pump. You will need to keep your valves closed so that you don't have a freeze up in you dump hose.

4. Suggest contacting the local propane company and contracting for a large tank to connect to your trailer.

In general, what you are asking can be done but it will not be easy or cheap. If possible, I would suggest a trial without the family to see how it works.

Again, others will add more. Feel free to ask questions and you can PM me if you wish. I have been doing something similar in Southeast NM for the last 4 years.

Terry
On the edge between Far West TX & Eastern NM
Traver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Can't help you with your issue but semper fi and welcome home, jarhead. Glad you made it back.

Happy RVing,

Jeff (Vietnam Vet, Army combat infantry, weapons squad)

Roger that and to you as well. You made it so I could. You all are never forgotten in this household.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traver8 View Post
Hello,

Got some thoughts for you. I am sure that others will add things I forget.

1. Are there RVparks open in the area? Will they have water and sewer available through the winter?

2. RV's are poorly insulated and heating will be your biggest challenge. You will need to use your furnace to add heat to your underbelly and plumbing to keep things from freezing. You can use supplemental electric heat in the living area but that will not heat the underbelly. Adding Reflectix over the windows will help but will block light and make things darker.

3. For water you will need a heated and insulated hose or you can fill your water tank and use your pump. You will need to keep your valves closed so that you don't have a freeze up in you dump hose.

4. Suggest contacting the local propane company and contracting for a large tank to connect to your trailer.

In general, what you are asking can be done but it will not be easy or cheap. If possible, I would suggest a trial without the family to see how it works.

Again, others will add more. Feel free to ask questions and you can PM me if you wish. I have been doing something similar in Southeast NM for the last 4 years.

Terry

Excellent information here so thank you very much.

In some pines so it's not terribly open
Yes year round water and sewer
Not sure about gas but yes it would be terribly expensive I am sure that could be an option

Old 12-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

We are also owners of a 2016 29.5BHDS, and don't think you'll have any issues living in yours for the Winter. However, you will need to make sure of a few things before you decided to live in it:

1. Your water supply hose will freeze, so a suggestion of getting a "heated" water hose is a good one.

2. Make sure all of your storage areas (front and rear) are fully insulated. Ours did not have any insulation in either of the storage areas, so we ended up adding insulation to top side of the front storage area.

3. If your rig does not come with the optional Fireplace/Heater, you may want to get a nice compact ceramic heater. So, you don't burn through your propane at a rapid pace!

4. Also consider getting a more solid sewer drain pipe to connect to your holding tanks drain valve. As, a typical flexible hose will freeze.

5. Check, also, that your holding tanks will be heated when your propane heater is running. You don't want the headache of frozen holding tanks, then you can't drain/empty them.

I'm sure others may have more suggestions, but I hope these help you living in your rig! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
Ok folks

So I am facing a tough decision. We took new jobs and it's in the northern part of New Mexico.

The rentals are essentially non existent and we cannot buy a house until our current one sells.

Therefore one option we have for my wife and 3 kids is to stay in the Jayco until something comes up.

Is this a viable option? What is the likelihood of having a serious issue?

Temps can get below 0 there.

Help ideas needed please

Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
Roger that and to you as well. You made it so I could. You all are never forgotten in this household.

Back at ya, jarhead. Thanks for keeping it going and God Bless America!

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #8

I live on the New York/Pennsylvania border and the full timers around here (pipelines) also stack hay/straw bales around their trailer. They do it to block the wind under the trailer. Not sure if they have issues with rodents though.
rider438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

I lived in my old fiver through a winter season and a half, in sub freezing temperatures. So far everyone has given good advice. Living in your rig will become really cozy. I am going to add somewhat to what has been said.

I ran heat trace along the water spigot and along my supply hose hooked to my RV. I then wrapped that in hose/line insulation (can be found at any hardware store)

I also did the same to my sewer line; heat traced along the bottom and wrapped with insulation.

I skirted the whole trailer (bottom to ground all the way around). I used 1/4" plywood, but hay bales will work, also a really good thing would be insulating panels (TyVek). Once skirted, I picked up a couple of the metal style drop lights and placed them underneath (one at the front and one at the rear), and left them plugged in and turned on all the time. A little 110V 50 watt light bulb puts off enough heat.

I added insulation panels to my storage bay doors and additional sealing tape.

I did contact a local propane company and rented a very large upright propane tank and an extension hose to my trailers line. It lasted over three months with the heater, water heater, cooking and etc.

I kept my black tank closed most of the time, only opening it when 3/4 to full. After emptying, I used a gallon of RV antifreeze to mix with the chemical treatment.

I kept my grey tank open. (I did this because I had sealed the under carriage of the trailer and heat traced the sewer line.) Being a Marine, taking 'navy' showers was already an easy thing to do.

I covered my air conditioner; added plastic to my windows for additional insulation.

Also, I raised the trailer till the wheels were just off the ground and utilized jack stands along the frame.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

Excellent information

Old 12-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #11

There was a guy who acted as a wintertime camp host in a park not far from us and he had elect/sewer on his site. The water was shut off for the winter but there was a year 'round water supply about 50 yds from his campsite so he could fill his tank when needed. His trailer was a 34 footer and he had enclosed a 20x8 ft section underneath the camper [ I assume where his tanks were located] using the Tyvek and held together with 1x2 lumber and he had wrapped it in something black [looked like trashbags]. He installed 3 150w flood lights in the area with a wireless temp sensor and said it never got below 55 degrees in there. They heated mainly with 2 ceramic heaters. Over the entire winter he said that they had to refill their propane tanks once. I'm not sure what other precautions were taken.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

Hey DRT,
I am having a hard time with my Eagle in temps falling to 26 degrees. I would be very careful in this decision.
Dewmahurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmahurin View Post
Hey DRT,

I am having a hard time with my Eagle in temps falling to 26 degrees. I would be very careful in this decision.

Good info. We ended up finding a house to buy so we didn’t end up building it full timing. Would have been a COLD winter in the Rockies that’s for certain.