Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

Jayco eagle ht vs Fox mountain

Any opinions
lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

After looking up the fox mountain ,for the price and options .I sure do love my eagle ht.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse View Post
Any opinions

Don't you think one would have to own and use a Fox MT and a Jayco Eagle HT to give a good comparison?

Maybe someone in here has owned a Fox MT at least.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Team

I have never heard of that brand.

Looked it up, Northwood is a small new company only since 1985. They do make some other products like Nash and Artic Fox. They are not big in the south with any dealer network.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

I just looked up the price and options. I did not suggest what to buy, just stating, I love my jayco.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #6

Northwood Mfg is one of the few RV guys not building in Indianna.

There Arctic Fox is true four seasons trailer. Northwood has a reputation for building a "high quality" trailer; not a trailer at some value Price Point nor do they seem to attempting to build a light weight 1/2 ton towable.

I've been in quite a few Nash and Artic Fox trailers and have been impressed.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Team

I read that they just bought the old Evergreen plant.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #8

I was really wanting to buy an Artic Fox but nobody east of the Mississippi sells their 5th wheel. I wanted it purely because of the Floor plan. On their 30ft 5th wheel, there is no wall between the bathroom and the bedroom which makes for more space and a more open feel in that area.
But we love the Jayco now that we have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #9

I/we looked at the Fox Mountains. However they quit making the floor plan we wanted the previous year. We saw it at a show the 305 or 325. I felt the Fox Mountain was a better unit. It is not as glitzy as some of the other brands but felt the construction quality was as good if not better. Not as cheap $ as some of the other lighter weight brands (though it is not as lightweight as the Jayco HT's). Storage was better, it doesn't use a lippert frame, its gvwr was substantially higher allowing much more cargo weight in fact probably way more than you would actually use. It is certainly not a 1/2 ton towable unit but lighter than their Artic Fox line though I am not sure I would tow any of the supposed 1/2 ton towable units with a half ton truck

We ended up with an Eagle HT 27.5 rlts happy with it for the most part as well but have definitely had some issues with it we will see how it holds up over time.

Northwood has a very good reputation for quality at least in their Arctic fox, and Nash lines. The Fox Mountain line has only been out a few years(5 or so iirc) so there is no longevity reviews out there.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a Jayco eagle ht 29.5fbds but a little concerned about the pin weight. TV is a 2012 ram 2500 4x4. Im afraid the fifth wheel will not tow level.
lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
snip...... I've been in quite a few Nash and Artic Fox trailers and have been impressed.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

I tow our 27.5 rlts with a 2001 2500 4x4 Ram. I run 285 tires on it and have it lifted just a little. The bed rails are right about 59 inches if I recall. Which I think is very close to yours at least the new ones are about that height and the 2012 are the same generation so suspect they are the same or very close. The trailer is running the stock 15 inch tires. It does not tow level. It is not much off but it is off. According to my tpms on the trailer tire temps are very close to each other so the amount it sits nose high is not transferring too much weight to the rear axle otherwise there would be a temp difference I would think. I have been contemplating adding a sub frame to it so that it will tow level. However I have not taken it in to see how much it will require. If my math is right it is going to be about 2 1/2- 3 inches. I could get close with some larger 16 inch tires but am afraid if I go that big that the space between the tires starts getting very small, 33 inch spacing, tires are 31.8 diameter so that only leaves 1.2 inches between the tires as well as the space above the tires starts getting very short and get concerned about the tire hitting the floor on large bumps. So sub frame may be my answer. I am also right at 6 inches on bed rail clearance. So a sub frame would allow me to increase that distance an inch. Local trailer repair shop quoted me off the cuff 700 for the sub frame. I am getting ready to buy a new truck within the next couple months so have been waiting to do the sub frame until then just to make sure.

It tows fine the way it is in fact no issues at all but would prefer level and just a bit more clearance at the bed rails
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote