Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

Jayco has NO quality Control

Again, I have discovered something else wrong on my less than 4 months old fifth wheel. Coming home today from a 120 mile trip, I noticed smoke coming out from the curb side wheels. I believe this can only be one of two things. either bad wheel bearings or a stuck brake pad. Either way, I will have to haul it 95 miles to the dealer in order to have the warranty fix it. This would be the 5th item we've had to take it back for warranty work, from issues as simple as lights not working and the auto leveling system not leveling correctly, to the bedroom slide stop working and would not retract into the fifth wheel for the drive home. Has anyone else had as many warranty problems? And am I correct as to the potential cause of this most recent issue?

This is getting VERY OLD!!!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Jayco has quality control but there always can be more improvement to their quality control. Dexter is the one who supplied the axles which is beyond the control of Jayco.
It is frustrating having problems with a new unit but it is no different with buying a TV or Generator. The only problem is if your dealer has to take care of the issues and in not close to you. Worse if you have to loose your unit for a period of time for the repairs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

New Jayco Pinnacle VERY POOR QUALITY

I have a new 2015 Pinnacle FBTS and it seems every day I find more wrong. The cabinet doors don't fit right. A cabinet top was cut wrong so a drawer sticks out on one side but not on the other. Even the toilet seats don't fit correctly. The first time I turned on the gas furnace it just about set my bed on fire. I can't help but feel I bought a very expensive time bomb. I'm just waiting to see what quits or falls apart next. I am very tempted to paint a large yellow lemon on the sides and travel the country telling people don't buy Jayco.
wizard749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Wizard... did you check any of that BEFORE you took possession of your new trailer?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Other than the cabinet issue, as ALJO said, most of those problems are do to supplier malfunctions. The bearings and brakes are Dexter, the slide out and leveling system are Lippert, the toilet and seat are Thetford (seat comes on the toilet and the furnace is Atwood. If everything worked when it left the plant and worked at your dealer then the failures cannot be blamed on JAYCO.

I totally agree it is frustrating, just like I had to get my ac/heat-pump (Coleman) replaced while in FL, but JAYCO stepped right in and made sure I was able to get it done.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

Do you fault the q/c at several car mfgs for the millions of air bags being recalled? Most of us have had things go wrong with our rv's, and you seem to have more than your share. I doubt all those product pass thru problems failed at jayco or dealer, and they just overlooked them!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #7

I have a 2013 321 RLTS Premier that has had to have many things fixed. Other than having to wait to have work done, Jayco has been very good about standing behind their warranty. I did not like the dealer I bought my 5'er from, as they didn't seem able to get the work done right. I ended up visiting my daughter in Tulsa, Ok, 2000 miles from my dealer and had another dealer do the repairs I needed. They had a problem in getting in the parts (and decals) from Jayco in a timely manner, but I finally have my issues dealt with nicely. I have spoken to Jayco customer several times and they have always been able to respond positively with me. I have in my travels met up with many other rvers that had 5'ers from other manufacturers that had more problems than I did. They did not have the two year warranty that I have with Jayco.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

I would agree with most of the setiment and just add that while there are issues Jayco does step up with repairing and correcting the issues. I just had a tire issue and Jayco stepped up. Didn't have to, but did without much pushing. Not many manufacturers out there would do the same and one of the reasons I keep coming back.

That being said nobody wants to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a unit that is in the shop more than the campgrounds. I had my share of in a out's last year, but it's all finally coming togther. None of which were manufacturer parts, but that of the suppliers as mentioned, which most of the "other" guys are using as well.

While frustrating yes, just keep positive that someone is answering on the other side of the call and making it right.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

After two different RVs, a Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel and now a Jayco Seneca, I also wonder about the QC programs at the manufactures. Our Seneca's chassis dash a/c wouldn't cool due to seal leaks, living room tv was fuzzy when connected to campsite cable, and we've had cabinet doors come unglued.

Between Jayco and the dealer all have been dealt with satisfactorily, as Keystone did with our 5th wheel issues. Jayco' two year warranty is certainly a plus in the industry.

But, is there a decision to skimp on factory/dealer QC and rely on the customer to be the QC? mmm, I wonder....
Old 06-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

Note to grumpy.

[QUOTE=Grumpy;307966]Other than the cabinet issue, as ALJO said, most of those problems are do to supplier malfunctions. The bearings and brakes are Dexter, the slide out and leveling system are Lippert, the toilet and seat are Thetford (seat comes on the toilet and the furnace is Atwood. If everything worked when it left the plant and worked at your dealer then the failures cannot be blamed on JAYCO.

I totally agree it is frustrating, just like I had to get my ac/heat-pump (Coleman) replaced while in FL, but JAYCO stepped right in and made sure I was able to get it done.[/QUOTE

I believe a manufacturer needs to thoroughly go through each unit. On our pickup day it was raining very hard and all we were thinking about was getting going. This is my fourth RV and I have never seen this kind of poor workmanship]. My dealer has stated bring it in. Leave it with us and we'll see what we can do. Good idea except I am working full time out of state.
wizard749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
After two different RVs, a Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel and now a Jayco Seneca, I also wonder about the QC programs at the manufactures. Our Seneca's chassis dash a/c wouldn't cool due to seal leaks, living room tv was fuzzy when connected to campsite cable, and we've had cabinet doors come unglued.

Between Jayco and the dealer all have been dealt with satisfactorily, as Keystone did with our 5th wheel issues. Jayco' two year warranty is certainly a plus in the industry.

But, is there a decision to skimp on factory/dealer QC and rely on the customer to be the QC? mmm, I wonder....
Your last sentence is spot on. We are the QC now it seems.
Diesel Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Jayco has it's QC problems LegalEagle but if you talk with other RV owners of different brands no matter the price range I think you will find they all have had problems with new units. A standardized QC program for all the supply vendors would work wonders for the RV industry. AS was stated before a lot of the problems come from the suppliers and everyone uses most of the same parts suppliers. Jayco has a good reputation for standing behind their products. Once the bugs are worked out if a new unit they become a real enjoyment. I had several items fixed under warranty, the process was easy and I have been satisfied with the repairs. If you look at other brand owner forums you will see some ugly problems and resolutions.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
Jayco has it's QC problems LegalEagle but if you talk with other RV owners of different brands no matter the price range I think you will find they all have had problems with new units. A standardized QC program for all the supply vendors would work wonders for the RV industry. AS was stated before a lot of the problems come from the suppliers and everyone uses most of the same parts suppliers. Jayco has a good reputation for standing behind their products. Once the bugs are worked out if a new unit they become a real enjoyment. I had several items fixed under warranty, the process was easy and I have been satisfied with the repairs. If you look at other brand owner forums you will see some ugly problems and resolutions.
Agree +a bunch.

The OP's Title of this thread with "NO quality" is a bit extreme but I understand venting.

We had problems with our rig on p/u but did not go to the edge of the cliff and yell to all that would listen.

What we did was work directly with Jayco Warranty and they were excellent in helping us get going again even overnighting parts to the tune of over $500 just in shipping.

So please go thru the process and things will work out and you'll be able to enjoy a well made product with excellent warranty and service.

Oh...no problems since things were made right.

It happens folks with ALL manufactures. Remember RV's are NOT made with the precision of robotics like the auto industry (and they still have problems)...they are produced by human beings just like you and me.

Are we perfect? NO!!

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #14

This will go against some elitist folks, but if you purchase a slightly used unit (2-3 years old) then (in theory) all the bugs should be worked out; AND result in a much lower out the door price.

Yes I'm a Cheap Charlie.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
This will go against some elitist folks, but if you purchase a slightly used unit (2-3 years old) then (in theory) all the bugs should be worked out; AND result in a much lower out the door price.

Yes I'm a Cheap Charlie.
All well and good if you find the right floor plan you 'really' want and not settle for a 'substitute'.

If you are a weekend camper I guess just about anything works.

We are traveling about 9 months of the year and just not any ol' rig would work for us.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #16

The other piece to the puzzle is your dealer. If they do a thorough pre acceptance inspection when the unit arrives and a thorough PDI many issues would be corrected before the sale and delivery.

When I retired my dealer offered me a position doing just that, but it's definitely a lot more fun using my unit for months at a time.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #17

Any time you have a workforce paid by peace work(units per day) you can guarantee that quality workmanship will always take a back seat to production time. It's an RV industry wide problem, not just Jayco. A manufacturer wouldn't last 6months if they they chose to pay hourly and enforced a high level quality control program, they may only put out 2 trailers a day instead of 10 with a cost per unit no one would look at. We can be our own worst enemy as a consumer, if there was a choice of two trailers with identical features and floor plans and one was $10000 more with no quality issues I guarantee that manufacturer wouldn't sell enough to stay in business. RV quality control will always be left up to the dealer to deal with until there is an industry wide change. If you have a crappy dealer you will become quality control.

Ross..