Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #1

Jayco HT 26.5RLS fifth wheel air conditioning question

I live in Texas and wanted to know from other people that has a 26.5RLS if just one 15K air conditioner with the dual row of air conditioner vents keeps the RV cool in the hotest part of the day in texas and in partial shade or any other areas in the US where the temperature gets 90+ with partial shade. Had a 1990 35 foot fifth wheel with aluminium siding with a high roof and only one 15K air conditioner and one row of air conditioner vents that could not keep the RV cool during the day out in full sun or even partial shade.
windstone101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #2

We have a 16 Eagle 321rsts two 15000s,not much shade.They barely keep up in the mid 90s. We are in Phoenix today 108 yuk!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

Thank you bdreinv for your reply about your two a/c units trying to keep ya'll cool in your fifth wheel. 108 degree temp. is time to head to the nearest ice cream shop with WIFI and stay for a while.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windstone101 View Post
I live in Texas and wanted to know from other people that has a 26.5RLS if just one 15K air conditioner with the dual row of air conditioner vents keeps the RV cool in the hotest part of the day in texas...
Nope, you'll want two units.

We had both AC's going over the weekend with temps in the high 80's in central TX - and humidity to match.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #5

2 units if you can. We have 1. But, Reflectix reflective bubble insulation in 7 out of 9 windows, vents with pillows, and both skylights deleted. We can maintain 70-73 in 100 deg temps, no shade, but this is a 33' travel trailer with lower ceilings.

Windows and skylights are your killers.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
2 units if you can. We have 1. But, Reflectix reflective bubble insulation in 7 out of 9 windows, vents with pillows, and both skylights deleted. We can maintain 70-73 in 100 deg temps, no shade, but this is a 33' travel trailer with lower ceilings.

Windows and skylights are your killers.
Wow I have to say that's quite remarkable!Will have to try that bubble wrap on at least my west facing windows. Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

I think you'll be surprised at the results. Also, check AC ducts for air leaking into the ceiling, pull the inner AC shroud and make sure all is sealed going to the ducts and that the intake / blower baffle is sealed good. Most can be fixed or beefed up with the ducting tape (obviously not Duck tape). Every little thing helps.

There is one other mod I did on a previous 40' / 4-slide fifth wheel that I call the AC teepee mod. Involves a little sheet metal and better directing the blower to the ducts. I'd have to post a picture though.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question. I will go with the 2 a/c unit system for my next RV. I really don't like the small louvered vents I see in the RV's now as I see the louvers a blockage to letting the full amount of air out of the vents. I like the old round vents that you could spin open and would drop from down from the ceiling almost 2 inches and had no air blockage.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #9

Can you add a second AC to your unit? It might be prepped for it.

Always, I repeat always go dual AC! It's much cheaper to buy it done or factory order than to add it later. It's a small price to pay to have dual units. Also if a unit has an issue, you still have the other unit. You can also run the bedroom unit while in the living area for a quieter living area and the living area unit at night for a quieter bedroom. I use my both of my units to cool the unit down more quickly. I have a 2017 Eagle 293RKDS.

Oh if the unit has two units with an optional 3rd, get the 3rd!

Dual pane windows also help and aren't much more to add to the build sheet.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote