Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Jayco Quality

We have a 2015 27.5 Eagle HT. First off my dealer has been over the top you couldn't ask for a better dealer. The list of things just keep getting longer. Next month the back wall needs to be replaced because its buckled. I was on the roof yesterday cleaning it and staples are popping up under the the rubber roof. I noticed by the slide that has the heavy items has a dip in the floor. I put a level on and its a full 1/2". Makes me wonder how bad its going to get after we use it more. Any suggestions?
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

Did u buy the unit brand new ? I just bought the exact year and model unit from a dealer that was used by the previous owner for 4 months and they decided they wanted bigger. Its only my second 5er and the one before this was an old 1997. I checked everything I could think of but I guess after seeing a few of these posts I better look closer. I have not been on the roof as mine does not have a rear ladder but being Ive read about the staples a few times now Im thinking I better.

My walls seems nice and straight and nice in the daylight and the shadows. No waves or buckles I can see anyway. The inside is the same, the mouldings and wood work and seams all look OK as well.

Where exactly are the staples coming through ? Do you have a picture ?
Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Jayco Quality; better rephrase the word to RV industry quality standards.
The answer is poor!
Compared with some other RV mfg's Jayco is doing fairly well.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #4

I purchased my 2015 28.5 fifth wheel in March of 2015. I love the layout of the trailer and much of the trailer appears to be quality. Having said that, it has been back for warranty work on 6 separate occasions. I try to fix any minor things but some require work beyond my capabilities. But Jayco has been great with their warranty. I agree it appears to be an industry issue.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I purchased my 2015 28.5 fifth wheel in March of 2015. I love the layout of the trailer and much of the trailer appears to be quality. Having said that, it has been back for warranty work on 6 separate occasions. I try to fix any minor things but some require work beyond my capabilities. But Jayco has been great with their warranty. I agree it appears to be an industry issue.
Can you give us some examples of issues you have had ?
Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Sure. First time out the catch that holds slam door for cargo pass through broke off. Same trip discovered a leak from the roof. Two USB charging plates didn't work. Television antenna crank fell off. Television would not work on cable TV (discovered that the coax cable was not hooked up to the outside cable/sat. hookup.) Water pump stopped working and was replaced. Now have a bathroom sliding door between the bath and bed room fall off. Have an appointment when I return from a West Yellowstone in two weeks to get it replaced.
Having listed these things, and there were other minor issues, I still enjoy this 5er and Jayco has been extremely cooperative with these warranty issues. The 2 year warranty was a selling point for me and has been worthwhile. I certainly would buy another one.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #7

This is my first travel trailer, so I have no history to base a comparison, but I can say that the experience so far has been bittersweet.

I love having the trailer, and I knew (from reading forums and talking to friends) that it would require a lot of maintenance. However, I have to say I'm not impressed with the overall build quality and I've had several issues ranging from minor annoyance to, well, cold shower. I've spent probably 5 weeks total living in the trailer since November last year.

* The right side dinette storage door never closed tightly, and now the entire facing is pulling away from the dinette. Given the way it was stapled together, it's no wonder. I will be going out tonight with a drill, woodscrews, and glue to take care of the situation.

* The water heater has been a continual source of angst. I already replaced the circuit board on my own dime when it failed in the middle of winter in Wyoming after only a week or so of use. Now there is some problem with the electrical element, I suspect poor wiring. The electrical element won't heat and when turned on seems to apply voltage to the entire chassis (got a bit of a shock looking at it the other day). I will be taking a look at this tonight as well.

* The knobs that hold the propane tank cover in place corroded to the bolts over the winter/spring and now cannot be removed. I can still get the tanks filled by just unloosing the top, but this is top on my list of items for the dealer to fix when I finally find time to take it into a dealer.

* The axles do not seem well aligned. After a total of about 8,000 miles, I see some irregular wear on two of the tires which speaks to an alignment issue. I will be rotating the tires this week, but I suspect I will be having a long conversation with the dealer about this as well.

* The molding throughout the trailer seems to have a desire to peel away continuously. I have simply been pushing it back in place, but I need to get some screws and/or glue involved to make it more secure.

* One of the bed supports was busted before the trailer was delivered to us, which my wife discovered before our recent trip, and explains the bed sagging. I fixed it with another board alongside the broken original.

* The front storage door no longer closes squarely, you either have to slam it or force it to the side a bit to fit into place properly. It appears that the structure in that area of the trailer must have shifted at some point, before this recent trip, it was fine. I need to look into adjusting it.

I'm sure there are some others I've missed. Overall, only the water heater has been a big deal, because it's functional. The rest have really just been kind of annoying. Since I tend to use the trailer, I haven't bothered taking it back for warranty yet. Maybe this fall or winter I can find some time for that, though honestly, I'll probably be camping on the weekends anyway, so we'll see.

I really do enjoy the trailer. But I would agree that quality is not the strong suit, and this is referring to the "higher end" of mainstream travel trailers (Eagle). Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I would probably buy a Jayflight with upgrades. I don't think the extra cost for the Eagle was a good ROI.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #8

Yes we did buy this unit new. I love the unit but how many more things are going to go wrong?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Sure. First time out the catch that holds slam door for cargo pass through broke off. Same trip discovered a leak from the roof. Two USB charging plates didn't work. Television antenna crank fell off. Television would not work on cable TV (discovered that the coax cable was not hooked up to the outside cable/sat. hookup.) Water pump stopped working and was replaced. Now have a bathroom sliding door between the bath and bed room fall off. Have an appointment when I return from a West Yellowstone in two weeks to get it replaced.
Having listed these things, and there were other minor issues, I still enjoy this 5er and Jayco has been extremely cooperative with these warranty issues. The 2 year warranty was a selling point for me and has been worthwhile. I certainly would buy another one.
Many of the same problems you describe we have had. I fixe the door afyer 3x falling off. Water pump was replaced and
Old 08-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

Called the dealer yesterday and asked about the roof and floor. The staples are not through the roofing material so its not covered. Floor no help nothing can be done. After paying as much for this unit makes me wonder what laws cover it?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #11

For the dip in the floor check this thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...lse-35795.html
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

Wow, what has happened to Jayco? After 5 years with a Keystone product toyhauler, I was looking to buy my 3rd Jayco, since I had been so happy with two prior Jayco TT's. I happened to discover Heartland rv's during my search, and found a 5th wheel that was almost identical to the HT model I had my eye on. Everything spec'd out about the same, with a price tag some $8k lower at that time. Bought the Heartland and haven't looked back. Had it in once for a couple of minor warranty items at the end of the first camping season, and nothing since. It is the quality that Jayco used to be, but sounds like they have slipped somewhat. Sorry to hear that, and glad now that I didn't purchase one.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Wow, what has happened to Jayco? After 5 years with a Keystone product toyhauler, I was looking to buy my 3rd Jayco, since I had been so happy with two prior Jayco TT's. I happened to discover Heartland rv's during my search, and found a 5th wheel that was almost identical to the HT model I had my eye on. Everything spec'd out about the same, with a price tag some $8k lower at that time. Bought the Heartland and haven't looked back. Had it in once for a couple of minor warranty items at the end of the first camping season, and nothing since. It is the quality that Jayco used to be, but sounds like they have slipped somewhat. Sorry to hear that, and glad now that I didn't purchase one.
FYI, Thor owns Heartland and Jayco. I'm proud to own one of the last real Jayco's Happy to hear you've had good luck with your Thor product. That should put a few peoples mind at ease, yet raises concerns for others.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #14

Yep, aware that Thor owns both. However, that doesn't mean that all plants have the same QC in place. All rv's are not created equally, even with a common owner in place. Hopefully they get their issues ironed out and get back to where they used to be, and to where some currently are.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Yep, aware that Thor owns both. However, that doesn't mean that all plants have the same QC in place. All rv's are not created equally, even with a common owner in place. Hopefully they get their issues ironed out and get back to where they used to be, and to where some currently are.
I get that. It's good for us to keep a persons 'experience' in perspective when they are discussing the QA/QC of an item they don't own. Kind of like me saying the new Lamborghini Huracan Spyder doesn't drive as well as the Diablo

I've only driven one of them.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

I'd like to be able to say that I have a great trailer. Only time will tell that tale. We've only spent one night in it after taking delivery on August 3. Having just sold our second TT, a Forest River product, I think this one's going to be better. I did a lot of research on the structural parts of these things and this one's what I came up with. I can find nothing wrong with it...... yet. Everything about it seems better made and better built. It was manufactured before the Thor buyout, but I don't think that means much. Maybe it was built on a Wednesday...
Old 08-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #17

Please don't get me wrong, I think Jayco quality is as good or perhaps better than many other brands and Jayco has been great about fixing my issues. I was just surprised at the myriad of problems I experienced. I sold a Keystone Colorado when I bought my Jayco and the look and feel of the Jayco seems better.