Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
jtw

Jayco quality control stinks

Picked up my new 345BHTS 5th wheel, love the floor plan, but (always a but) the factory failed to hook up the flexible duct work from the furnace to the trunk line for the heating system. My dealer did a walk thru with us and turned everything on, I heard it running but didn't check for discharge pressure coming out the floor vents. I discovered the problem when I got home, my dealer is 2 1/2 hours away from me so I fixed it myself about a 10 min job. We took her out on our maiden voyage last weekend and discovered the A/C wasn't blowing thru the vents very hard and the camper wouldn't cool down. I got on roof took A/C unit apart and found rubber roof material blocking 3/4 of the duct work on both trunk lines. I have miscellaneous trim pieces falling off. I called the dealer they have been very responsive and told me to bring it back, but I'm pretty far away. I could have bought any camper, I chose the Jayco because of there warranty and workman ship. I hope I didn't get a Monday camper. Has anybody else had these types of problems? I would love to talk to a Jayco rep if that is possible.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

Maybe the mobile snack truck showed up at break time. That's what I'm thinking happened to our TT when it was built. They never mounted my water pump and didn't put a hose clamp on the pickup tube from the tank. I fixed all that stuff myself. 10 minutes worth of work. I let the dealer know about it. They made it right.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

I agree it shouldn't happen, but the dealer was supposed to check those air flows if they did a proper PDI.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I agree it shouldn't happen, but the dealer was supposed to check those air flows if they did a proper PDI.
Yes, 110%!
Shame on them for not checking the systems out.
That said, sounds like your dealer is ready to step in. Too bad it's so far away. Good luck.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

Having all kinds of quality issues on my new trailer.
The trailer is dealing with ib but never again.
robertorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorman View Post
Having all kinds of quality issues on my new trailer.
The trailer is dealing with ib but never again.
Sorry to hear you've got problems, but welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

When I bought my previous trailer brand new a couple years ago it was the same story; lots of things to have corrected by the dealer. People are quick to blame Jayco for certain things, and rightly so that they should be inspected closely at the factory before being shipped out...

BUT...

That being said, I place a more personal and deliberate blame on the dealerships for their lack of attention to detail on the PDI. We, the consumers, pay for a proper Pre-Delivery Inspection and often times it is barely done if at all. I gave my dealership royal **** for their multiple screw ups over the course of our transaction, and reiterated that they needed to do better in the future.

Part of me believes they like it when problems come up after delivery because they get business through warranty work which is paid for by Jayco...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #8

I picked up my 2015 345 BHTS on friday the 22nd and I had the same issues. The main AC is a 15kBTU and it was not blowing hard. Still is not but the second AC really packs a punch. I will need to see if there is any obstructions with the 1st AC.

As for the PDI, that was a joke. I found several things wrong from prep,cleaning,& mechanical.... They did a piss poor job and kept telling me "we'll make it right" the fact is I wanted it right when I got here. Thats why you needed 5 days to prep... There was so many things over looked.

I have it at the campground and going to bring many things over and start using it weekly so I will get to see if she holds up
CaveDiver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:50 AM   #9

I think all RV manufacturers and dealers are the same. They all have their problems. Production is just about at its highest level ever and things get overlooked. We went through a proper psi inspection so I thought and it still too me three trips to get all the problems worked out. We love our unit but did have some headaches. Fortunately though, Jayco is the only manufacturer that gives you two years to find all these problems. Our dealer has also been very helpful in anything needing correcting. Most of the time we have not even had to leave our unit. Our dealer is an hour away, but a small inconvenience to pay for all the happiness we are having. It does get better.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

All manufacturers have issues. They are trying to put out the product as fast as they can and they rely on the dealers to find and fix little issues like these. The problem comes when the dealers don't do a thorough job. Jayco has little control over the dealerships, since they are independently owned.

I think Jayco and the dealers hope that most customers don't check the little things, or decide to fix it for themselves... thus saving Jayco a lot of money. That being said, Jayco does have the reputation that they will authorize repairs.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #11

The dealer is not part of the factory production line. The dealer support is there to fix something broken not to fix something forgotten. How many of you have had to take your cars or trucks back to the dealer because the manufacturer forgot to hook up the transmission? This is a production line quality control issue. No excuses regarding how busy or how quickly they have to get units out. By throwing the dealer under the bus by way of the PDI then we let Jayco off the hook for production quality.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
The dealer is not part of the factory production line. The dealer support is there to fix something broken not to fix something forgotten. How many of you have had to take your cars or trucks back to the dealer because the manufacturer forgot to hook up the transmission? This is a production line quality control issue. No excuses regarding how busy or how quickly they have to get units out. By throwing the dealer under the bus by way of the PDI then we let Jayco off the hook for production quality.
I understand what you are saying but the dealers stress hard that they go through every knook and cranny top to bottom and fix anything that Is not right. Well just going through everything myself I found several things wrong. Just the simple opperation of the equipment would have shown the problem which proves they didn't even check it.

I had several screens popes out, leaky shower head, door jam out of wack and loose, dirt on the furniture that i left there 2 week prior looking at the unit, led lights not working, and more... it was flat out piss poor when they said they do a "FULL INSPECTION" ...
CaveDiver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
X2
Bill
Old 05-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #14

After taking our new unit out for the mayden voyage I came up with a laundry list of issues. Took the unit back to the dealer for all the repairs, which most of them should have been fixed during the pdi. Needles to say the dealer did a horrible job with the repairs. Contacted Jayco and I will be dropping the unit off after our Tennessee trip to have all repairs done properly. Needless to say most dealers service is incompatent do do repairs. That is my conclusion. I am just grateful that Jayco is stepping up and making all the repairs themselves.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
This is a production line quality control issue. No excuses regarding how busy or how quickly they have to get units out. By throwing the dealer under the bus by way of the PDI then we let Jayco off the hook for production quality.
You are 100% right. I do believe that manufacturers are making an educated gamble that enough customers either won't know about the issues, will fix them themselves, or will live with the issues that its worthwhile to rush through and not make each unit perfect. It is obvious that Jayco makes more money by rushing through units than it does by making flawless units at a lower output.

As mentioned in another post, Jayco didn't properly support my bathtub and I will be making a warranty claim after camping season ends. Its not perfect, but I will likely replace this Jayco with another Jayco product when it is time for a new trailer. Despite the problem with this trailer, I still think they put out the best product at this price point right now.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #16

[QUOTE=namusmc65;304063]I think all RV manufacturers and dealers are the same.

All dealerships are not the same!!! I have bought twice from dealerships with very poor service centers. I have great respect and confidence in the dealership that I have now. Its also very apparent that Jayco has dealerships that they give a lot more latitude in repairs then others. I am convinced that the right dealership is extremely important in how well a customer is satisfied.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
When I bought my previous trailer brand new a couple years ago it was the same story; lots of things to have corrected by the dealer. People are quick to blame Jayco for certain things, and rightly so that they should be inspected closely at the factory before being shipped out...

BUT...

That being said, I place a more personal and deliberate blame on the dealerships for their lack of attention to detail on the PDI. We, the consumers, pay for a proper Pre-Delivery Inspection and often times it is barely done if at all. I gave my dealership royal hell for their multiple screw ups over the course of our transaction, and reiterated that they needed to do better in the future.

Part of me believes they like it when problems come up after delivery because they get business through warranty work which is paid for by Jayco...
You answers fine, but lets face facts. The dealer should never have to be the one to fix all the mistakes they make at the factory. Really makes it tough on consumers when they have to not only hope they get a decent trailer but then have to hope they are buying from a decent dealer.

JMO but the logic that seems to flow from these RV builders is that we'll build it as fast as we can and if there are issues then the dealer can fix them. Then the dealers thinking why fix them, since a decent amount of owners will fix them themselves. If they don't then they can bring it back.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #18

Quote:
The dealer is not part of the factory production line. The dealer support is there to fix something broken not to fix something forgotten. How many of you have had to take your cars or trucks back to the dealer because the manufacturer forgot to hook up the transmission? This is a production line quality control issue.
I think you will find there are more corrections/fixes made at a car dealership than you realize. They are all taken care of before the car is put up for sale.

I know I sound like a broken record, but every unit we've taken delivery of has not had issues where things were missed/incomplete or appliances not working. With that said we have had things fail, but again they were appliances or components installed and not made by JAYCO or STARCRAFT. The key is they have all come from the same dealership (family owned since the 60's).
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #19

If Jayco is depending on dealers to do a quality control check and make repairs before delivery to the customer, then Jayco should insure that all dealers are making those checks and repairs.

There are good dealers; mine is one of them. But from some of the posts on this forum and others, there seem to be plenty of dealers who do not perform well. Definitely that is the poor performing dealers problem, and is also Jayco's problem to solve. It is Jayco's responsibility to deliver to the customer a quality product.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
jtw

I agree Jayco is more concerned about turning out so many units per day/week however they figure it and stick the responsibility on the dealer to repair there lack of quality control. I'm gonna call Jayco and discuss my issues with them.