Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Jayco quality, or lack of??

I purchased a new 321rlts fifth wheel because I had previously owned a Jayco travel trailer which I must say had only one problem the entire time I owned it. This prompted me to purchase another Jayco, big mistake. I will list the problems I have had with this unit since purchasing in Fall of 2010 just to let any buyers know what they may be in for. Maybe I just got a bad one who knows.
Coran counter top, cracked through from sink to outside, replaced counter top
6" rip in lino where fireplace was installed, sloppy workmanship???
Damage to one of ceiling tiles
11" crack in front nose cap.
Damaged shade on bedroom light
Damaged day night shade in bedroom
These items listed above arrived from factory like this, must have employed blind guy to do QA inspection before unit left.

The remaining problems have occurred since we have started using unit.
Gear case for small living room slide stripped gearbox. Chinese gearbox, more savings for Jayco using chinese junk.
3" crack in bathroom sink, had to replace sink.
Latch for clothes closet in bedroom broke off
Bedroom door kept popping open because of shoddy workmanship of door latch striker plate, looks like they used chisel to make hole resulting in screws falling out.
Lower cowling on left front side of unit came loose resulting in torn tin, had to replace entire piece
Right side lower cowling also had to be reattached as it was also coming free
Rivet popped out of step
Sealing tape on top of both rear slides started to lift and had to be replaced.
Wooden stopper to stop couch from hitting wall fell off.
Screws kept falling out of ceiling fan blades when traveling, had to use locktite to keep them in
Couple of screws have worked loose on underside of goose neck that holds paneling on, again only very small screws installed, more cutbacks???
The level gauges on the black and grey tanks never give an accurate readings but I think this is normal for all units not only Jayco
The large blind in one of the slides fell off, only two small screws holding a blind that is 70" wide, they are even trying to save on screws.
They also advertise this unit as having a spot for an extra battery, which I guess is true as they have an extra battery tray installed but nothing else like some wiring to hook it up, seemed kind of important to me but what do I know.
Jayco has also failed to install any kind of lock on side basement doors to hold them in open position, so we have to use a bungy cord to hold door open to prevent wind damage, more savings by Jayco???

The warranty will be over this fall on this unit so now repairs will be coming from my pocket, so maybe time to ditch Jayco and buy a different unit....maybe Montana??
If anyone has any questions or comments I would be glad to hear them
Jim
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #2

So why not get those issues fixed under warranty.

2 year Jayco warranty and you are waiting for the warranty to expire???

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
So why not get those issues fixed under warranty.

2 year Jayco warranty and you are waiting for the warranty to expire???
Thanks for reply, I have had all of these problems repaired as unit has spent more time with dealer than with me. The two year warranty is nice but it is still very frustrating to have all these things go wrong with your unit. Every time we venture out we wonder what will go wrong this time, but maybe there is light at end of tunnel as only one blind fell off this last trip out.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

We have a 2011 Jayco 28.5RLS. We had some of the issues you list. Additionally, we found that only 2 of 4 air conditioner hold down screws were tightened - the other two had never been tightened at all, they were not even touching the inside flange that they tighten against. Also, I decided to remove a window to look how it was sealed. The window cut-outs are 3/8" larger than the window itself. That's OK, but what is not OK is just shoving the window in the hole without spacers - meaning that at the top, and the radius corners, you end up with only 1/16" to 1/8" of the 1/2" window flange sealing against the side to keep the wall watertight. I removed and resealed all of my windows, and only one of them had spacers to keep the window centered in the hole.

My opinion is that all trailers are crap. If under warranty or your work your trailer is finally free of crap, I'd suggest keeping it - the next one will be all crapped up, too.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

We love our 5th wheel...
I purchased the same 5th wheel floorplan in a 2012 Eagle 321 RLTS unit last August. Our unit has been GREAT. I'm a Building Inspector by trade and I can report that this unit has been thus far close to flawless. I owned a 1992 Jayco Designer series 5th wheel and put 55,000 miles on it with only one problem that Jayco stood behind. One of the first units with a slide-out and wouldn't you know we were in a desolate part of Texas 70 miles from the nearest city when the slideout gearbox failed. One call was all it took back to my selling dealer and Jayco overnighted the motor and gearbox assembly to me. The Fed Ex driver said he had never been that far to deliver anything! It was an easy install compared to the units made today. In fact back then you coulkd manually crank the large slide in or out with the supplied crank handle. Needless to say Jayco made a beliver out of my wife and I.

Bottom line it sounds to me like you got a bad unit which happens. Jayco might extend your warranty for the time your unit stayed in the shop. I would certainly ask them about it.

Thanks for the heads up on the ceiling fan screws...I will check them tonight.
2012 Eagle 321 RLTS with MOR/ryde pin box
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #6

I have owned 5 new Jayco FW with the most recent being a 2013 Jayco Premier 351MKTS. Although I have had my issues with some of them Jayco has stood behind their product. I have spoke to many of my friends and Jayco isn't the only ones with issues as reported.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #7

While we don't have a 5er our 330RLTS has had so many problems that we can't believe it. Even tho Jayco has stood behind most of the problems the things that we have experienced is mostly from lack of quality controll. Our oldest son and family were looking at Jayco bunk house models and we steered him away from Jayco. He bought a new trailer from another company and is happy with it. When we are ready for another trailer in about 5 more years it will NOT be a Jayco. To the OP of this thread, we had a Keystone Montana last time around and won't even consider going back there. Join the Montana Owners Club and read about what has happened there. The MOC is similar to this forum, very informative and not owned by Keystone. Best of luck with your trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #8

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
We have had a couple of major things fixed on our trailer and some very minor things go wrong as well. I choose to fix the small stuff myself as the dealer closest to us has a rather sloppy shop and I don't trust the quality of their work. I also don't like my trailer tied up for long periods of time waiting for them. So far I have replaced the thin luan basement wall with thicker plywood and made access panels for access to the wiring, inverter and the central vacuum. Fixed the keyless entry panel, fixed a couple of window shades, and tightened up a few things. All things considered I think this is a pretty good unit especially at the price point we were at for a brand new unit. Given that ours is a "SuperLite" I have to keep in mind that they build these things to give the buyer more trailer at lighter weight and in RVs, light means less. In your case with the full Eagle, you have the heavier construction so some of the challenges we may have shouldn't be a concern for you.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

Have you had a discussion with Jayco on your concerns? You have certainly had your share of issues, but as others have said - these things can happen on just about any manufacturer.

One suggestion is to ask Jayco if a certified RV mechanic can go through the unit and do a full inspection and once over. Get his opinion and knowledge if you need to be concerned or they have gotten you fixed up.

Let's make sure we keep this thread to trying to help the op resolve his problems. Thx all!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #10

Sorry for all the problems with your Jayco.
We had a 05 Jayco Eagle for 7 problem free years.
The 05 Eagle was our first Jayco but over the years we had servral other brands (Sunnybrook, Sunline, Palamino, etc) that were all great trailers too.
When we started shopping for our current 5th Wheel we went to a lot of RV Shows and visisted many dealers, we looked at Heartland, Crossroads, Montana, Redwood, DRV, Open Range and many more. There were a lot of nice RVs out there but in the end we wound up with another Jayco.
We have not regreted our decision at all, our Pinnacle has exceeded our expectations, while it has not been totally problem free, we think it is a great value for the dollar.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

IF you want problems go get a KEYSTONE... I had an entire wall fall off of mine...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #12

Sorry to hear about all the problems. How did you get the cap fixed?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #13

Sorry to hear about all your problems. We have had several TTs over the years (none Jayco), and now have a Jayco 5er. Couldn't be happier. It's a 2004, but has had VERY few problems, all associated with age, not Jayco quality. If and when we get another unit, it will definitely be a Jayco. Seems to me that you just got a Monday or Friday built unit. All manufacturers have bad days, just like humans.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
IF you want problems go get a KEYSTONE... I had an entire wall fall off of mine...
Second that!! Problem is, many see those "Montana's" as strictly "Montana's" and not a Keystone. I've been there and don't that.
At least Jayco has a 2 yr factory warranty and stands behind it. Those Montana's are complete junk. Pretty, but junk.
I'd trade that "Problem Jayco" in and start over. Every company has problems. Hopefully the crew that built that one have all quit.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #15

Unhappy Poor quality

I have a 2010 365 BHS and it has been nothing but problems. My previous Jayco was a 2004 and it was bullet proof. I had no problems with my 2004. My new camper just went out of warranty and I am sure it will cost me some money. Jayco will not fix the bunkhouse air and their response was, " that is the way it is built." This spring I will add a 3rd A/C unit to the back bunkhouse for 1,000 dollar. My fifth wheel has been in the shop at least 5-6 times. Most of the problems are from poor qualilty from Jayco. Two camping trips, Jayco had to sent me parts, or the camper would not make it back to the dealer for repair.
Camper 10
2010 365 BHS
2005 Dodge 3500 Dually
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdl53 View Post

The warranty will be over this fall on this unit so now repairs will be coming from my pocket, so maybe time to ditch Jayco and buy a different unit....maybe Montana??
If anyone has any questions or comments I would be glad to hear them
Jim
IF you think you are unhappy with Jayco ... just wait till you buy the Keystone... I had an entire wall fall off mine going down the road. Never again a Keystone...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #17

Holy cow, you were driving when the wall let go?! Yikes! Hopefully everyone was ok. . .

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post

Seann, as time goes on I am beginning to think our Montana wasn't so bad after all. If I could get our old trailer back and all the money we paid for our Jayco I would do it in a heart beat.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

Disappointing to hear people have major issues with their Jayco TT. Like every company they all make a lemon or two.
Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota all make vehicles and some of them end up in the shop repeatidly. Just the luck of the draw.
Costs are going up and quality is going down in some cases just so we can afford these toys. Wouldn't say one TT is better
than another but I would say that from my experience, Jayco has made the most consistant TT's in the market.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #20

We got our 351 RLTS in May this year. There was a 3" long screw that came up from the hitch area thru the floor in our walk in closet that went right through my wife's foot. The cabinet doors for the entertainment center are ALL stripped from over tightening, The dealer looked at me like I did it.... They cut thru my entire kitchen area flooring when they cut the carpet for the slide and that is being replaced, I am sure it will not look like a factory finish. The bathroom towel closet has broken wood supports from over tightening of hinge screws. The shower leaks from under the glass door tracks. There is a big gap in the bedroom slide where it should seal when it's opened. The dealer says they jusst give you a piece of foam to stuff in there while it's open???? WTH? And there is a sewer smell in there non stop in the bedroom closet area. That's all I can think of at this time. I haven't checked the AC units, but I will check the screws before I take it back to Wisconsin for the winter.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
Closed Thread