Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Jayco Schematics

I was told by Jayco way back that since my unit was under warranty, I could not get any copies of schematics. Well, my unit is now out of warranty so I sent a request in to Jayco Customer Service to provide me with copies of all my electrical, wiring, plumbing, cabling and other schematics pertaining to my particular vin number. Now, Jayco is questioning why I even need copies of all this and so far has not provided anything. I am on my third Jayco unit and so far this is the response I am getting. I know one thing, some of the new houses I have had built in the past did not cost near as much as this 5th wheel and I was provided all the building plans. Go figure! I hear a bunch of you saying how easy it is to get copies of schematics and wonder what I did wrong???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #2

My guess would be it is the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a customer service representative who actually cares about helping customers. Others are there only for the paycheck. They follow the laws of electricity: Following the path of least resistance. Getting you off of the phone is the primary goal.

Keep trying until you luck-up on that GOOD customer service representative.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Other in the past have been able to acquire schematics well after the warranty period. Like tnchuck said try again.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Site Team

From 2012

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ings-5657.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

I think asking for everything put's them on the offensive you should make those requests a little at a time.

Personally from my experience the wiring diagram is the only really useful drawing. Unless your going to add a window or something else there is no need for framing.

Just remember they are schematics ( just show what connects to what) they do not show the exact physical location of the wires or plumbing except the termination points.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Probably the most important part of the schematics is the outlet/load wiring and information on the power distribution center.

Meantime, you can start putting some of that information together for yourself by experimenting with your fuses. Just pull one to see what is affected and then replace it with one of the LED fuses that feature a brilliant LED (light emitting device) that shines if the fuse is blown to eliminate guesswork for fast and easy replacement.

You can also take that opportunity to clean and tighten your electrical connections. Good to do that yearly.

If you really want to pro it, put some dielectric silicone lubricant on each connection. It is water resistant and helps prevent corrosion, etc.

Then have your batteries load tested, clean up the battery bay, clean the terminals and connections, etc.

And then go around checking all your ground connections: They should be clean, dry, and tight.

Focus on preventative maintenance for everything in the house and the chassis...and keep expanding/upskilling your knowledge.

Most problems on the road and problems that used unit buyers have, are a result of poor to non-existent preventative maintenance by owners.

Those owners who follow the advice of not doing anything until it breaks, often suffer problems on the road they could have avoided.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
Site Team

One of the first mods I did to my new rig was replace the reverse battery fuses with indicator fuses.

They cost more but can put on a problem as soon as the fuse panel is opened.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

I'm not sure about Jayco, but here at Cat, we strive to provide excellent customer service "through our dealers." A dealership has a lot of money invested and they make quite a bit of their profit from service and parts. If we provided schematics to every customer, there would be a lot of DIY folks out there. That would take business away from the dealer.

And while machines/engines are under warranty, we require that qualified dealer technicians do all the work, except things like oil and filter changes - the day to day maintenance stuff.

That said, we DO offer a customer version of our online service information, including schematics. These include all the test and adjust procedures, troubleshooting, parts books, etc. We know there are a lot of big customers - construction companies, mines, etc. that perform their own service work for maintenance, rebuilds, and so on.

I would assume that the relationship between Jayco and its dealer network would be similar, and for the same reasons. I'm sure once your unit gets to be 5-7 years old, they will gladly sell you those schematics. But until then, they probably have to abide by an agreement they have with their dealers.

That's just an educated guess.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #9

Call them. For some reason emails to their CS don't seem to get the same level of service as phone calls. I never even got any responses to emails. The 2 times I called I got excellent response.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Leverage. When you have leverage, use it.

When you buy new, you can ask for things like schematics before you finalize the deal. Whether you get them or not, that is the time to ask for them. Same if you want to take the time for your own PDI inspection, to insist that everything you can be reasonable made aware of gets fixed before you go out the door. Yes, run those slide around 20 times.

Same way with a used unit. You ask for maintenance journals, receipts, manuals, schematics, etc. You find out where the coach can be serviced and if there will be information and service limitations for that brand of coach. You do your own PDI inspection and have others help you when your skill set isn't enough.

There always is a limit how far you can go because of profit protection, privacy, etc. Actually, any excuse will often work.

There are diy skill limits.

You often have to pay to play, one way or another.

Now that I have my Certified RV Service Technician, I have extra leverage for gaining access to all kinds of stuff. Because I'm now an extended warranty inspector and claims inspector, I have other kinds of access.

Shortly, I will warranty inspect a specific coach I am generally interested in having on my future buy list. I will be able to look at it much more deeply, as part of my inspection process, than if I visited a dealership and wanted to look at what they had on the lot or read forum chittychatchat. It will be interesting to see how that particular premium coach has withstood the vagaries of time and owner maintenance or lack thereof.

Leverage.

Lack leverage, substitute persistence...keep making those calls and writing those letters, etc.

Or forget it ,and get back on the road and use your rv.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

It is my experience that if you have a need for a schematic for a particular and specific purpose, they will provide it. I asked for two separate schematics on two separate occaisions and they sent them ASAP. Once for installing a rear ladder and another time for installing new ceiling vents. The first time my RV was under warranty and the second request it was out of warranty. You may be asking for too much.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

I got both the AC & DC electrical schematics from Jayco's customer service because I said I wanted to split the Awning LED lights and step light on to 2 different switches.

Later I asked customer service for a layout diagram that would identify the locations of the fresh, black & gray tanks because I wanted to know their location for impact on loading. Jayco said they couldn't provide them because our unit was still under warranty.

I then asked our dealership if they could get a layout diagram from Jayco and the dealership was able to obtain it.

From my experiences I agree with what others have said including:
(1) Definitely depends on who the customer service rep is. I've received very different service from the different reps ranging from excellent to crap.
So it definitely depends on who you get.

and

(2) Jayco seems to respond to dealership requests much better then to the individual customer.
This is sad, but as was mentioned previously, Jayco has more invested in the dealerships then individual owners.

Another experience that supports this, I had a problem with our TowMax tires - go figure . I contacted customer service and they passed the buck - not covered under their warranty. Contacted our dealership and got more then satisfactory compensation for the tires.

So maybe a course of action to get the information you're looking for is to go through your dealership.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

"Jayco seems to respond to dealership requests much better then to the individual customer. This is sad, but as was mentioned previously, Jayco has more invested in the dealerships then individual owners."

I don't think this is sad at all. In fact, it is perfectly reasonable. Jayco makes its money selling new products and the dealerships make that happen for them. That is great and that is supposed to be how it works.

And it is pretty obvious, the Jayco products are selling well, so they are busy helping the dealerships and new product buyers who are paying the bucks for that benefit.

If you don't buy new or used from a dealership, you don't get the dealership advantage if you were astute and purchased from a good, responsive dealership. You usually don't get the best price, you may get a warranty service preference, and if you build a good relationship with the service advisors they may go to bat for you and do their best to assist you.

If you buy used, you don't get the above, but you get something else, an excellent price advantage assuming you did a great inspection and pretty well know what you are getting. Of course, the mfg may help or may not help you, unless you bought an orphan, but for sure you won't get the dealer to help you unless you are very, very lucky and have a local dealership with a broader outlook on customer service.

If you want to improve the odds, be sure to pay more money and be willing to pay others to assist you.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

I bought my 2015 pinnacle 38FLSA in October had slide issues because of wrong size fuses which took me forever to find on our maiden voyage...no one explained about all the hidden panels when we went through the delivery inspection. Once I returned I contacted Jayco and demanded all the Electrical 120V and 12V, potable plumbing, Center Load, floor plan, tank layout, Black/Gray piping, Inverter and battery wiring etc. They sent all to me within a day. I also got the Electrical 120 & 12 for the previous White Hawk 30DSRE in 2013. Nothing to do with warranty...it just makes sense so that you can find thing when on the road.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #15

I initially sent an email asking for the gen-prep wiring. Got those sent back to me pretty quick, then I asked for the rest of them and they sent those too. I have eleven PDF pages of schematics for my trailer. One shows the ceiling light layout with measurements. This was end of October. Can provide the contact info for the guy who sent them if you need it.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

I requested prints of my 29.5 bhds from Jayco, they told me the same. They suggested I contact my dealer and they can request for me, which I did. I only needed the door side for places to mount a tv on the outside so I needed to see if there was any backing. My dealer got me the print, but since I looked at the print, I decided a tv on a table outside is my plan.
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #17

Well, lo and behold about a week after my request, my schematics came in an email. Most of them anyway. I would still like the framing plans as I plan on putting another satellite input on the outside of my unit. Have bought the materials but afraid to drill that first hole!

That should do it!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote