Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
Jayco Schematics

I was told by Jayco way back that since my unit was under warranty, I could not get any copies of schematics. Well, my unit is now out of warranty so I sent a request in to Jayco Customer Service to provide me with copies of all my electrical, wiring, plumbing, cabling and other schematics pertaining to my particular vin number. Now, Jayco is questioning why I even need copies of all this and so far has not provided anything. I am on my third Jayco unit and so far this is the response I am getting. I know one thing, some of the new houses I have had built in the past did not cost near as much as this 5th wheel and I was provided all the building plans. Go figure! I hear a bunch of you saying how easy it is to get copies of schematics and wonder what I did wrong???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
My guess would be it is the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a customer service representative who actually cares about helping customers. Others are there only for the paycheck. They follow the laws of electricity: Following the path of least resistance. Getting you off of the phone is the primary goal.

Keep trying until you luck-up on that GOOD customer service representative.

Chuck - Sparta, TN
2012 Jay Flight 22FB, 2 x Honda EU2000i
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Site Team
Other in the past have been able to acquire schematics well after the warranty period. Like tnchuck said try again.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Team
From 2012

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
I think asking for everything put's them on the offensive you should make those requests a little at a time.

Personally from my experience the wiring diagram is the only really useful drawing. Unless your going to add a window or something else there is no need for framing.

Just remember they are schematics ( just show what connects to what) they do not show the exact physical location of the wires or plumbing except the termination points.
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods
Probably the most important part of the schematics is the outlet/load wiring and information on the power distribution center.

Meantime, you can start putting some of that information together for yourself by experimenting with your fuses. Just pull one to see what is affected and then replace it with one of the LED fuses that feature a brilliant LED (light emitting device) that shines if the fuse is blown to eliminate guesswork for fast and easy replacement.

You can also take that opportunity to clean and tighten your electrical connections. Good to do that yearly.

If you really want to pro it, put some dielectric silicone lubricant on each connection. It is water resistant and helps prevent corrosion, etc.

Then have your batteries load tested, clean up the battery bay, clean the terminals and connections, etc.

And then go around checking all your ground connections: They should be clean, dry, and tight.

Focus on preventative maintenance for everything in the house and the chassis...and keep expanding/upskilling your knowledge.

Most problems on the road and problems that used unit buyers have, are a result of poor to non-existent preventative maintenance by owners.

Those owners who follow the advice of not doing anything until it breaks, often suffer problems on the road they could have avoided.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
Site Team
One of the first mods I did to my new rig was replace the reverse battery fuses with indicator fuses.

They cost more but can put on a problem as soon as the fuse panel is opened.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
I'm not sure about Jayco, but here at Cat, we strive to provide excellent customer service "through our dealers." A dealership has a lot of money invested and they make quite a bit of their profit from service and parts. If we provided schematics to every customer, there would be a lot of DIY folks out there. That would take business away from the dealer.

And while machines/engines are under warranty, we require that qualified dealer technicians do all the work, except things like oil and filter changes - the day to day maintenance stuff.

That said, we DO offer a customer version of our online service information, including schematics. These include all the test and adjust procedures, troubleshooting, parts books, etc. We know there are a lot of big customers - construction companies, mines, etc. that perform their own service work for maintenance, rebuilds, and so on.

I would assume that the relationship between Jayco and its dealer network would be similar, and for the same reasons. I'm sure once your unit gets to be 5-7 years old, they will gladly sell you those schematics. But until then, they probably have to abide by an agreement they have with their dealers.

That's just an educated guess.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Call them. For some reason emails to their CS don't seem to get the same level of service as phone calls. I never even got any responses to emails. The 2 times I called I got excellent response.
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods
Leverage. When you have leverage, use it.

When you buy new, you can ask for things like schematics before you finalize the deal. Whether you get them or not, that is the time to ask for them. Same if you want to take the time for your own PDI inspection, to insist that everything you can be reasonable made aware of gets fixed before you go out the door. Yes, run those slide around 20 times.

Same way with a used unit. You ask for maintenance journals, receipts, manuals, schematics, etc. You find out where the coach can be serviced and if there will be information and service limitations for that brand of coach. You do your own PDI inspection and have others help you when your skill set isn't enough.

There always is a limit how far you can go because of profit protection, privacy, etc. Actually, any excuse will often work.

There are diy skill limits.

You often have to pay to play, one way or another.

Now that I have my Certified RV Service Technician, I have extra leverage for gaining access to all kinds of stuff. Because I'm now an extended warranty inspector and claims inspector, I have other kinds of access.

Shortly, I will warranty inspect a specific coach I am generally interested in having on my future buy list. I will be able to look at it much more deeply, as part of my inspection process, than if I visited a dealership and wanted to look at what they had on the lot or read forum chittychatchat. It will be interesting to see how that particular premium coach has withstood the vagaries of time and owner maintenance or lack thereof.

Lack leverage, substitute persistence...keep making those calls and writing those letters, etc.

Or forget it ,and get back on the road and use your rv.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote