Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Jayco Warranty

We purchased a 2008 Designer 35 RLTS from a private seller. So far we have had a couple small issues, but still think we made the right decision with going with the Jayco. At least we hope so.

We made the purchase thinking that there was still 8 months of factory warranty left on this unit. We have since found out that once the original buyer sells, the 2 year warranty is void. After a couple emails I received a call from customer service at Jayco and was told that this is company policy with no exceptions. So now my concern is how good is the product that Jayco puts out that they have throw in a loop-hole in the warranty contract? I am not here to bash Jayco or anyone else, I am just looking for answers. I asked the person, and I will not mention names just now, why they chose to not honor their product for the full 2 years. His answer was that they do as long as the 1st buyer still owns the unit. Never once did he ask me what sort of problem I was having with my unit. Hope we didn't make a wrong choise by going with Jayco.

2007 Dodge 3500, 4x4, 6.7, 6 speed auto, exhaust brake.

2008 Jayco Designer 35 RLTS
2fortheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #2

I would try contacting a dealer in your area. I bet you will get a different answer. My Jayco dealer has repaired things on a Jayco trailer that my Brother-in-Law owns and it was out of warranty by two years. One repair was his fault and they still fixed it under warranty.
I have read that Jayco has FANTASTIC customer service, so I would be willing to bet you talked to the wrong person at the wrong time of day on the wrong day.
By the way.........what kind of problems are you having with your unit?
Is it with the trailer or appliance?
Appliances have their own warranty. Just because it is in a Jayco trailer does not mean it has to be covered under the 2 year warranty by Jayco.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #3

While traveling from NC. back to Idaho with the unit the metal under the nose of the 5th wheel came undone and exposed the insulation. No damage to the insulation but the metal needs replaced. I called Jayco to find out where the nearest authorized dealer was, and asked them about the remaining warranty, thats when I found out that it was void. I contacted the dealer and they were great, they told me that they were three weeks out but since we were traveling through they would would see what they could do. They did not have the metal or time to fix it back to original but were able to get us back on the road. After getting home I emailed Jayco's customer service asking why they void the warranty to second owner and all the guy kept saying was that if the original owner had the unit the warranty wouls still be good and that is company policy.

About the dealer in Missouri, Trailside RV. If anyone is in need of repair or advice, give them a try.
They are located off exit 24 and I-70 East of Kansas City.

Trilside RV Center
700 R.D. Mize Road
Grain Valley MO 64029
(816) 229-2257

Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

I just spoke to my dealer here in Minnesota and they are correct.
Warranty for Jayco covers the original owner only.
That new policy started on 2008 models. Go figure, you have a 2008.
My dealer here said that they would work with Jayco on getting it covered, but you might have to pay about $50 - $100. I know you do not want to drive to Minnesota to get it fixed, but perhaps you could find a local dealer that would be willing to work with you and Jayco.
Sorry about the bad news.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

Hi 2fortheroad! Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! Sorry to hear your challenges with the warranty. If others are reading this prior to buying a used Jayco, you will have definitely helped them out. I'm glad to know now that the warranty is only valid for the first owner.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #6

As suggested I called our local dealer and they said that Jayco implemented this starting with the 2008 models. GO FIGURE.
As far as my local dealer going to bat for me, not going to happen. The service Rep. said that I would have more influence with Jayco than he would.I have called the party that we purchased from and he said he would call Jayco and call me back. We'll see. I think I could put this back on the seller if I had to, it states clearly in his ad that the unit comes with 8 months of warranty. I would only go this route as a last resort. That would not solve the issue with Jayco and their how they take carew of their products.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #7

I understand your frustration but I can't imagine that there are too many people that sell their campers in less than 2 years. For that reason alone, Jayco should stand behind the warranty. I will keep this in mind when I am ready to upgrade for sure.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #8

We were told the reason that they had to give up their Jayco was because of health issues. His DW has stage 4 lymphoma. They were only able to use it a couple times before she was diagnosed, and for all appearances it shows little to no use. The seller seems to be just as frustrated with Jayco as I am.
You know, the person at Jayco customer service had the nerve to tell me that if it would make me feel better I could post my concerns with anyone that I wanted too, and even suggested a few sites to go to, this being one of them. I don't think I would want someone with his attitude repersenting my company.
Another word of warning, Jayco's 2 year warranty is a Limited 2 year warranty. So if you are buying brand new make sure you understand what the warranty does and does not cover and have it in writing.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #9

Ron,

In my opinion you made a good choice buying a Jayco, I've never regretted purchasing mine. With regard to the warranty being voided after the first owner sells the unit: I was the second owner on my Jayco 5'er and the unit had over a year left on the warranty. Jayco transferred the warranty into my name for the remainder of the warranty life. It was, and is, my understanding that Jayco is the last manufacturer to offer this option. I'm not totally sure of all the in's and out's of your situation but if there's warranty left you should be able to get it transferred into your name "if" you're the second owner and have the paper work to prove it. If you're the third owner I'm afraid you're out of luck. Did you purchase and extended warranty when you bought the unit?

Hope this helps rather than adding confusion.

Pete
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #10

Follow up....

A follow up to my above post on warranty transfers; after doing some investigation I find that Jayco may have changed the way warranties are dealt with, meaning the warranty may only apply to the original owner. Sorry but to be honest I'm not totally sure on this but if Jayco says "no" to the second owner then your only hope is if you purchased an extended warranty.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:26 AM   #11

I didn't realize that was a Jayco policey and regret they made the change. I still think you have a good product. We are on our second 2008 Jayco 5th wheel. Traded in the first to upgrade to a larger unit. Lost some money in the trade I'm sure but satisfied with the larger unit.

We have had several issues repaired under factory warrenty by a dealer other than the one we purchased from and had satisfactory results. Our original 2 year warrenty is about to expire and thinking of purchasing the extended warrenty.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #12

Hi 2fortheroad,Sorry to hear of your problems.I also have had no luck with my Jayco dealer regarding squeaky floors(I also purchased the extended warranty)It really takes the fun out of it.
Larry
leanlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #13

I bought a new 2010 a couple of months ago and the 3 year extended warranty was included. The dealer just didn't add it to the price since it was a factory promo to clear out 2010's. I couldn't be happier with Jayco.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #14

Sorry to hear your problem! However, Re:warranties; many, many, products and various industries only cover the original owner. I love my Jayco product and esp. the dealer. Spent 66 days camping this season and just now winterized the 5er. Can't wait for April '011
jameshil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #15

Let's Set The Record Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fortheroad View Post
We were told the reason that they had to give up their Jayco was because of health issues. His DW has stage 4 lymphoma. They were only able to use it a couple times before she was diagnosed, and for all appearances it shows little to no use. The seller seems to be just as frustrated with Jayco as I am.
You know, the person at Jayco customer service had the nerve to tell me that if it would make me feel better I could post my concerns with anyone that I wanted too, and even suggested a few sites to go to, this being one of them. I don't think I would want someone with his attitude repersenting my company.
Another word of warning, Jayco's 2 year warranty is a Limited 2 year warranty. So if you are buying brand new make sure you understand what the warranty does and does not cover and have it in writing.
I feel the need to jump in a clarify a few things in this thread. I deal with Jayco warranty 6 days a week. Jayco's 2 year warranty is hitch to bumper. I have NEVER had them refuse a warranty repair for a customer as long as it isn't a problem caused by lack of required maintenance.

Jayco has maintenance policies that are located in the owners manual. These items must be done by the owner. If they aren't done and damage occurs to the unit, then warranty will not cover the damage, thus, the limited warranty.

Jayco's policy did change in 2008 making the warranty non-transferrable. NO other manufacterer allows warranty transfer.

Now, with that said, if you were in our local area and you brought the unit in for the repair, we would probably give you a reduced rate because of your situation.
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #16

We bought our 2006 Jayco used - when it was 13 months old. At that time (many years ago), my wife called Jayco, provided the TT's VIN and remaining warranty was transferred under our name. NO fee or hassle. We simply faxed our "change of insurance form" into Jayco Corp. and they confirmed the transfer by email. Clean, simple and no hassle. Actually, it felt great to have "remaining time" on its base warranty transfered over to our name so easily. If wondering, we never needed to exercise the base warranty. During the first 3.5 years since its build date, our Jayco has been solid and working great. No complaints. Only real "design" issue we had to DIY fix ourselves was re-sealing our TT's 11 windows. Of these 11 windows, 3 of them were leaking. If wondering, that was 3.5 years after its build date - outside its base warranty time. I did these DIY window re-sealing myself during a few weeks and today, our TT's windows are much better then factory. So, all turned out better (in the long run)...

To me, Jayco does makes a sound product. Yes. They could "raise the bar" on some build items (like trashing their factory dry fit window process and go back to traditional soft putty sealed windows) and reduce over sized service holes under their chassis's floor (for plumbing the electrical access lines - that also let critters into the chassis) but overall, I'd buy another Jayco TT again. If I bought another used Jayco with only 8 remaining months and that time could NOT be transferred over, I would NOT worry about it. I'd "take the risk. Especially if all appliances and structure are still sound (at time of purchase).

Hope this helps in your research...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #17

Unfortunitly you were sold something that isn't true. But based on the experience I had with my first Jayco I don't think I would worry too much. We used ours 4 summers and 1winter. Warranty issues were taken care of in the first summer. I never used the warranty the second year. The trailer held up really well. If it wouldn't I would not have bought a second Jayco.

As for your current problem, the tin up front on my 2007 was taken apart for a repair in the first year. It never seamed to be right after that. But that being said a few screws fixed it right up. If your tin is damaged I would check a tin basher to see if he could make new pieces cheaper then what Jayco would want.