Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

JCubes

We are looking to get a 355MBQS. I see great things about the old style Jcubes, but nothing about the newer (since 2016 models?) redesign where they are gaming chairs. I don't like the way they look, but can anyone comment on them functionally? Do they also fold out to a bed? Individually and/or together?

I'm mainly interested in whether they offer a larger sleeping platform than the trifold sofa bed, which seems rather narrow for a couple of kiddos to sleep on.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
We are looking to get a 355MBQS. I see great things about the old style Jcubes, but nothing about the newer (since 2016 models?) redesign where they are gaming chairs. I don't like the way they look, but can anyone comment on them functionally? Do they also fold out to a bed? Individually and/or together?

I'm mainly interested in whether they offer a larger sleeping platform than the trifold sofa bed, which seems rather narrow for a couple of kiddos to sleep on.

Thanks.

Neighbor went with the Jcubes. We went with the Trifold sofa in ours. Neighbor wishes they went with the trifold.

It's not as narrow as it looks in the pictures due to the wide angle lens used. My daughter had two friends come along. All three kids slept in the room. One on the bunk and two on the trifold.

The problem I see with the Jcubes is that they are essentially a folding futon and the kids are sitting basically on the floor. It also makes it difficult for someone to climb into the bunk. With the trifold, when its open the kids can still put some of their stuff underneath it and also store stuff underneath the trifold. With the J cubes, everything has to come off the floor and go (somewhere) for them to be layed out.

We really love the new floorplan that has been redesigned with the loft. Which also gives the kids some other options for sleeping or just hiding away to play and whatnot. I'm glad we waited for it and am really happy with how we configured it.

I hope that helps give you some things to think about.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

Thank you! Great answer, since I hadn't even considered the storage or climbing into the bunk.

Do you do anything to prevent rolling out of the top bunk onto the trifold?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
Thank you! Great answer, since I hadn't even considered the storage or climbing into the bunk.

Do you do anything to prevent rolling out of the top bunk onto the trifold?

Not really, our kids are a little older.... It's not that far of a distance to the couch and I figure it will make them tougher.... lol. For us it's really a non issue. But I could see with younger kids how it might be a concern. In which case I'd really want the couch over the Jcubes, again for the same reason of distance and utility.

Honestly though I hadn't really even thought about it. The loft above has a nice sturdy rail so I'm not worried about that. I do recall when I was a kid we had a pickup camper with a bunk above the dinette bed, it was tight and a long way down for a little boy. My mom used to put soup cans under the matress to roll the edge up a bit so I wouldn't roll out.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

I've got two 5 y/o and two 9 y/o kids. I'm not too worried about it, but the little ones have been known to roll out of their beds. I'll probably go the "make them tougher" route :-)

I'm glad to hear there's plenty of room. With four kiddos (plus a tag along friend here and there), that's important to us. Sounds like the tri-fold is the way to go for more than one reason.