Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Question Just Bought A 2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS

Well this is my first post and I'm a nOOB at this so please any suggestions you would be greatly appreciated. Now I will be living in this RV full time.
This is my first time with a 5er. I was told that this is a 4 season RV. I will be living this Denver Metro area. So what precautions do I need to take with this 5er during the winter so I do not screw up my plumbing and keep my heating & electrical bills down.

Thanks in advance!
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #2

Living in the mile high city, Denver will probably be a pretty heavy test of the four seasons capabilities of your unit and your know how. If you are staying in one place, put some skirting around your unit to reduce the air under your unit. Make sure that you get most of your heat out of your Jayco furnace and not from electric room heaters. Your tanks and water lines only get heat when your furnace is running!!! Jayco does not have dedicated heat ducts or heated pads under the tanks. It a natural tendency to use a couple of room heaters to keep the furnace cycling slower. You will find out that can be big mistake resulting in frozen pipes and tanks. Assuming that you don't have thermal pane windows. You should get insulation material that can be form fitted in your windows to help keep out the cold. Get enough of the foam vent stuffers to close off your vents in your roof. Most things of these are just common sense.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up bud!

Ok so you are saying not to use Electric Heaters at all. Ok I wont do it. Now I have done is did some checking on black rubber and infrared heat from the sun. Now my understanding that what I was going to do is cover the top of the RV with black rubber which intern will heat the roof and melt some of the snow off the roof when the sun is out intern will help heat the RV at the same time. Then I can remove the rubber in the spring so it will not be as warm on the roof.

Now I only have 1 deep cell battery. So I was thinking of using a 60 watt Solar panel on the roof to keep the battery charged with a regulator just in case.

Also I was going to go buy some bright LED bulbs to replace the lite bulbs in my rv to cut down on the electric bill.

Is there any kind of insulation I can put around the slideout to help prevent the cool air from coming into the RV?

these are just some ideas thus far.

If anybody else has some ideas please post them.
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote