Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

Keeping mice out of Enclosed Underbelly

Curious on what methods others use to keep mice out of the enclosed underbelly during winter storage.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #2

My cat catches mice almost daily and I still had mice in the camper last winter. This year I will get under with a spot light and shove steel wool in every crevice I can find..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

There are a large number of past posts that discuss this issue.
Here in Arizona the rodent problem is usually the huge darn Pack Rat.
I have had success using 120v AC "rope lights" strung out under the TT. We connect the rope lights to an outlet box that can be activated with a remote "clicker" similar to a garage door opener. Pack Rats are a bit different in than they really prefer a dark location and hate bright light. We use a commercial 12v DC unit under the hood of our vehicles. It is basically a "strobe" lite box which comes w/ alligator clips to connect to the battery & a magnet to attach the box to the under hood area of the truck. It's made in Carefree, AZ and is called RID-A-RAT. good luck in your efforts.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Cut up a bar of Irish Spring Soap and put chunks of it all through the trailer. You should be able to get about a dozen pieces from 1 bar.
Roadwarrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

None of the little tricks you read about work. I have tried just about everyone in my garage for my old car and they just do not work. What I do and friends is to crawl under the TT. Look for every single little crack, hole, ripple, imperfection and fill it in with a little steel wool then a good caulk. I personally like clear marine silicon. Friends have used whatever caulk they got laying around. We all agreed once we did that we have not had any mice issues. I also, clean every little spot where food might have spilt, been placed on, and so forth. Just to eliminate any potential attractant for the mice. I would rather have mice find someone’s else place more homey. I also place sticky traps inside the TT, just in case one trespasses.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
None of the little tricks you read about work. I have tried just about everyone in my garage for my old car and they just do not work. What I do and friends is to crawl under the TT. Look for every single little crack, hole, ripple, imperfection and fill it in with a little steel wool then a good caulk. I personally like clear marine silicon. Friends have used whatever caulk they got laying around. We all agreed once we did that we have not had any mice issues. I also, clean every little spot where food might have spilt, been placed on, and so forth. Just to eliminate any potential attractant for the mice. I would rather have mice find someone’s else place more homey. I also place sticky traps inside the TT, just in case one trespasses.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote