Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #1

lack of door side windows?

Hello all to all, We are researching 5th wheel bunkhouses.Looking at floor plans and videos, we noticed many bunkhouse 5th wheels have no (except the hall) windows on the door side. Is that a problem not having a view of the camp site or is that a non event?
Thanks for all opinions
cheers,
Ed
ps we really love the North Point 375bhfs.
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #2

Our first 5er had limited door side view, our second had plenty on both sides And now our new one has plenty on the door side and very little on the street side. We'd rather have door side (campsite) view. We'd rather see the camp fire and our site than the neighbors. Personal preference.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #3

My SOB bunkhouse only had the window above the sink. I never even realized this to be an issue until I read your post.
Plus the door was always open until someone went to bed. We really never spent a huge amount of time inside the trailer during the day or evening.

I think what ever you end up with you will adapt to in no time and not know any different.
My vote is "non issue"
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

Our last trailer only had a small window in the bedroom that faced the campsite and the frosted door. It turned out to be one of our least favorite parts of the trailer. I was about to replace the door window with a clear one just so we could see out but we ended up trading it. The new one has a nice window over kitchen are plus a large one in the bedroom. We have small kids so that was why it was bothersome not being able to see what they were doing outside.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

I've noticed this too when looking at floor plans of various RV's. Our next RV will probably be a FW with the majority of windows facing our campsite. I would rather not see my neighbors on the street side. Just my .02 cents.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #6

Can never have too many windows in my opinion. We do a lot of camping where the 'street side' ends up having the best views, but when our windows are just pointing at the neighbors camper, that's what tinted windows and blinds are for. Definitely prefer the option.

I've read that windows are one of the more expensive components overall in the camper construction, thankfully they seem to be making a comeback the last few years. One of my neighbors has a 10 year old TT and I've seen prison cells with bigger windows (Disclaimer - only from the outside ! )
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

Being a problem or non-issue is entirely dependent on how much time you spend in your trailer. For us, it would be a complete non-issue, other than sleeping we spend about 20-30 inside the trailer. If you prefer to spend time inside it could be an issue. The answer to your question is personal in how you use it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Our last bunkhouse TT had all the windows except a small on over the sink on the street side. Was a big issue for us that we didn't think about when we bought as we couldn't be inside cooking or anything and watch the kids in the campsite. Not as much of an issue now that they are 7-10, but a big issue when they were smaller. I put removable plex glass over the screen door so we could leave the main door open to see out.

And, as has already been stated, on lots of sites your view was the backside of the neighbors camper or their site.

New 5th wheel has almost all windows to the rear or facing the campsite. Much preferred.