Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

landing gear question

Howdy all,

I have a 1995 Jacyo Designer 3430RK SS. What's the trick in extending the telescoping part of the landing gear?
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #2

We just use the handcrank, but we have seen some folks that use a drill. For us the handcrank works quickly so we don't bust out the drill.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #3

Howdy Healthi,

I am able to extend and retract the entire landing gear with the motor without a problem. I have seen others pull a pin on their landing gear which allowed an inner part of the gear to drop (telescope) down, then they re-insert the pin, and use the motor the rest of the way. It came in helpful when they were on uneven ground. I just can't figure out how to do that. I end up having to put a bunch of wooden blocks under one leg in order to even it out.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #4

I haven't seen that. Ours will extend just so far then that's it! We stayed at a campground on "Christmas Mountain" near "House on the Rock" in Wisconsin. Although a beautiful park, it had the worst leveled spots we've ever seen. It took us an extra hour to find a spot that was level enough that our landing gear would touch. We had to already use our levelers for the tires, but a "neighbor" loaned us some boards so we could use our landing gear also. Hopefully someone here will know the answer to your question though.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

Although I do not have a 5'er, I have watched others with 5'ers and from I have seen, there is two pieces to the landing gear. An inner and outter section.
Remove the pin to release the inside section of the landing gears. You let the inside section drop and reinsert the pins. Then lower the entire landing gear with the motor.
Do you have the pins for the center section to drop?
Do you have the center section on your 5'er?
I did a quick internet search for photos and only found this

http://www.dyersonline.com/ZoomImage...4-8729aa42f142

I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

You should be able to just pull the pin back, and the inner section will drop. I normally run the gear out a few inches then drop the inner sections. If you do not run the gear down some you might be un-able to level the front of the camper down if it needs it. You should not have to pull hard on the pin, so I would make sure that your holes have not been wore preventing the pin from releasing. An oblong hole will keep the pin from moving freely, that may be the problem. I hope this helps, and I wish you luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

pics of my landing gear

Howdy all,

To help better explain my frustration, please look at the pics of my landing gear that I have attached. Can any of you figure out how in the world the tube is extended?
(I don't know why that first pic seems to depict the driver's side landing gear at an angle. Must be an optical illusion.)
Attached Thumbnails
Landing gear (4).jpg   Landing gear (6).jpg   Landing gear (7).jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #8

RVREV2 ,
Looking at your pictures I think the legs look like they have Locks at the bottom,that's why you can't drop the legs. I think you will need to un-bolt them as you may not have a key. You will need to be hooked-up to the truck to support the unit. Before you un-bolt them, if that is right you will need some new pull pins. Most RV dealers should have them.
Looking at your first picture there looks like another trailer along side of yours. Look at the pull pin system on that trailer. That would be the type to buy I think they run about 40 bucks.
Hope this helps Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #9

Hey guys, thought you would like to know, I got the landing gear legs fixed. They telescope just fine now. Just took some new hardware.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #10

I saw the photos you posted of the telescoping legs when they were not telescoping. It looked like they had some type of padlock on them. If so, did you have to cut the locks off.

Could you expand on your statement that you got new hardware? Did you have to replace the part that slides up and down? Did you have to replace only the pins that hold the sliding extensions in place? Did you have to replace the entire leg assembly?

Inquiring minds want to know-------
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #11

It appears the snap rings are missing.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #12

Howdy guys,

Gone Camping was right. The snap rings were missing, and everything needed a good cleaning. I bought the fiver late last year and only had one chance to take it out before storing it for the rest of the winter. I just now finally had the chance to get it cleaned up and start doing repairs.