Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #1

Landing gear, Rear Electric Stabilizer and Battery Disconnect Switch question

Hi,
I came from a Travel Trailer that had a battery disconnect switch. When Trailer is not in use or being stored for a prolonged period of time, simple.....cut off 12V power supply to the entire trailer via the batter disconnect switch.

Also, the travel trailer had power stabilizer jacks with associated control switch.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions regarding the Jayco Eagle 5th;

1) Does it come with a battery disconnect switch?

2) I realized that the Landing gear and Rear Electric stabilizer switches on the Jayco Eagle are located on the exterior of the unit. My previous Travel Trailer had all these switches on a hidden lockable compartment accessible only via a key lock. I guess, the main objective of having the switches hidden is to prevent malicious types from playing around with exterior front jack which makes a lot of sense. With the Jayco Eagle 5th, is there a way to completely override the exterior landing gear/ stabilizer switch so that it doesn't get unauthorized use?

Thanks.
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #2

On my 2014 Jayco Eagle HT, there is a battery disconnect inside a lockable compartment. The front jacks are also lockable. I believe the rear stabilizers have their control switch exposed. There's also a remote control that allows you to manage the front jacks, power awning, rear stabilizers, slide, an more. I'm not sure how you'd go about securing the one switch that is exposed though.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

We simply installed a battery disconnect switch in the locked battery compartment. Haven't used it yet, but you never know. We keep ours plugged in when we are not out camping.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #4

Thanks. With my recently ordered 2014 Jayco Eagle Touring, I believe it would also come with a lockable battery disconnect switch and lockable front jacks/ Landing gear switch.

As for the exposed rear stabilizer control switch, I definitely need to do something about that. With the close proximity to the outside kitchen door compartment, maybe I could somehow relocate this switch within the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
On my 2014 Jayco Eagle HT, there is a battery disconnect inside a lockable compartment. The front jacks are also lockable. I believe the rear stabilizers have their control switch exposed. There's also a remote control that allows you to manage the front jacks, power awning, rear stabilizers, slide, an more. I'm not sure how you'd go about securing the one switch that is exposed though.
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

You guys must have shady neighbors to worry so much about vandalism. If I was that worried I'd set out some claymores

Just kidding......
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

Our 2014 375BHFS came with the battery disconnect, located inside the lockable battery compartment. Front landing gear switch is located inside the propane compartment, which didn't come with a lock, but I soon replaced it with a keyed lock. Rear landing gear switch is behind a little plastic door that didn't have a lock either, but I was able to find a keyed lock for it as well as my propane compartment at Camping World.
We've never had anyone bother anything at our seasonal site, but living 2 1/2 hours away from it, locking everything just gives me a little extra piece of mind.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

Locks are good and all, but if someone really wants to do something they will. I would simply pull the fuses once you get setup if you really have to worry about it since they are isolated circuts.

The newer Eagles have the main cut off switch now for all 12V systems in the locked battery compartment. Also the key # is a CH751 which almost every make camper has, so you might want to change them too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Those compartment locks that use a CH# key are a joke that only keep honest people out. There are about 3 numbers that cover them all.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #9

Other than a little discomfort, what difference does it make if the rear jacks' switch are in a locked compartment or not? Not much bad can really happen if the jacks are retracted while you are sleeping can it? As for the landing jacks, my switch is inside a little locked compartment so somebody shouldn't be able to vandalize the front, unless they have one of those three keys noted above. Do most of you change out the standard locks for ones that are uniquely keyed?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

jal0710, your post made me think of an incident just the other day. Not sure why I recalled this but a Marine Corp FA18 jet jockey got a little heavy on the throttle and broke the sound barrier real near here. It shook not only our RV but everything around. I knew what it was but my wife was alarmed and soon asked me if it might have shook our RV off the blocks. To satisfy her I went out and looked around and reported to her that the blocks were fine. Since the only blocks under the rig are two hunks of 2X6 under the tires on one side I figured we were pretty safe
Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #11

jal,

No special locks for me, and like others have mentioned, all of mine are the standard CH locks. They won't stop anyone from getting into there if they really want in, but I personally lock them for my own piece of mind. Kind of like the French door on the back of my house. If someone really wanted in, it doesn't take much to bust a French door, but I still lock it when we're not home.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote