Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Leaks after Dewinterizing 2 years in row

For the second spring in a row I am finding water leaks behind the water valve control panel on my Northpoint. Last spring, the tech who repaired it said he found two pin hole leaks in two of the plastic elbows. At the time I thought that it may just be faulty parts.

This year after Dewinterizing the leaks are back again in the same location. Now I am questioning whether I am winterizing correctly. I don't use compressed air but use the rv antifreeze method and follow the jayco manual. I've never had issues winterizing with two previous trailers but my confidence is definitely shaken with this one. I wondering if I should be exercising the different valves on the control panel while pumping the pink stuff in? Or maybe I need to add compressed air into my routine along with the pink stuff?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts(particularly from fellow Northpoint owners) on ideas to help me successfully winterize my trailer next Fall.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 04-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

Had the exact same issue this year (first winter with the north point) my leak was on the black handle valve, (actually lower elbow) from reading some other posts with this same issue I'm wondering now how to winterize the lines to the fresh tank (that's where my leak was) will definitely blow air into fresh tank next year, may even let a small amount of the pink stuff rUn through those valves. I know it's a major pita to change those pieces out.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #3

I've never used the antifreeze. I have a set up made with a QD and valve to use with air , regulated to 40 psi. No water, no freeze, no damage. That said though, the one time I didn't blow the half bath toilet line out in previous rig, it cracked the valve. If you're fixing fittings, replace with better. Brass or whatever. Anything but the cheap plastic crap.

Hope you can get this solved. Water leaks are no fun.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

I used air and antifreeze, never gave thought to cycle the valves to the "power fill" setting for the fresh water tank. After reading these last 2 posts about the same issue that I had it ha's dawned on me that with out at least blowing air into the fresh tank, that allows water to sit on the closed side of the valve.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #5

Fresh water / city inlet can be a problem as well. If you prefer antifreeze, after pumping the system full of the pink stuff, make sure you press the check valve on the main inlet to let the water / air pocket out and the antifreeze to flow back out of your water inlet. I've seen that part freeze and crack as well due to a small amount of water in there.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

I have the same system in my unit. I had a leak, but that only came present while camping from a corroded valve.

My process has been blow out with air and turn all the valve combos when I do this.
Fill with RVAF, then follow with air to keep the lines clear and fill the p-traps.
My unit also has a 2 gallon expansion tank that I want drained.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

Is 40 psi safe to use, I thought 25 psi was the max ???
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

Should be, but, I never have it running without something open, then opening something else before closing something. So, the system is never pressurized much or seeing anything close to 40. I have a gauge on my set up, but can't remember its reading while running. Not much.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Most water pressure regulators are set in the 40# neighborhood so I'd suspect 40# of air wouldn't be a problem. Water doesn't compress so the "hammer effect" opening and closing valves would be harder with water than air.
JMHO

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

I appreciate everyone's input. I will be adding air to my winterizing process next fall.

BigJohnD said " I have a set up made with a QD and valve to use with air , regulated to 40 psi." Can you expand on that? I need to do more research on using air. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #11

I had the leak last spring in that bottom elbow too.
The guy at the dealership told me to make sure to turn all the valves, when pumping in the antifreeze. Even if it means getting a little in the hot water tank or the fresh water tank.
I did that this year. I'll dewinterize this weekend and see how I made out.

I even took the elbow in to get another and everyone said there was nothing wrong with it.
I hooked it up again and the water sprays out. It comes out the factory seam. It can't be seen until there is pressure. Otherwise the elbow looks perfect.

Also while I was in there I noticed the hose to the pump was sucking itself together and "imploding". I switched it out with a piece of pex.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #12

Here's a picture. Small piece with water hose thread x air fitting screws into rv water inlet then of course the rest connects to that, then the air line to that. The gauge is just to monitor any back pressure, which is minimal.

I open up a sink and run for a while, then open the shower and close the sink, then open the toilet valve and close the shower etc.

Of course none of this happens until I've drained as much as possible via low point drains and also drained the WH.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8995.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #13

BigJohnD,
Thanks for posting pic! That really helps me understand what you were describing.

Klassic,
I will be interested to hear how your Dewinterizing process goes this weekend and if no leaks are present. I'm having the dealer repair my leaks but I feel I need to learn to be able to repair them myself in the future. Though I also hope what I've learned will prevent them. Need to research some more and invest in the tools needed.
Mike
Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #14

Take this with a huge grain of salt - but I'm not sure how a freeze could cause a 'pinhole leak'. A big split, a big crack - sure. But a pinhole leak? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

I guess if, in the end, adding a compressed air blowout makes the problem disappear, then that's all that matters.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #15

No water, no freeze, no problems. In 14+ years of rving, the only thing I used the pink stuff in is p-traps, and I hardly ever do that. I think I've bought 2 gallons in all that time. I guess everybody finds a method that works, this is just what works for us.

A pin hole is weird for a freeze. Usually a split as mentioned.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog00 View Post
BigJohnD,
Thanks for posting pic! That really helps me understand what you were describing.

Klassic,
I will be interested to hear how your Dewinterizing process goes this weekend and if no leaks are present. I'm having the dealer repair my leaks but I feel I need to learn to be able to repair them myself in the future. Though I also hope what I've learned will prevent them. Need to research some more and invest in the tools needed.
Mike
No leaks this time Yellowdog.
I flushed out the hot water tank and a little pink came out so I know it went into the valves this time, and the same thing with the fresh water.
Maybe it didn't get cold enough this year, but I know there was pink in the elbows this time.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #17

Update

Klassic,
Thank you for update. I picked up my unit today and they told me the same two elbows were leaking this year as they fixed last year. They replaced with better elbows this time. They said elbows were leaking at the seams on both of them.

I plan to introduce air pressure as well as the rv antifreeze into my winterizing next fall as well as exercising all the valves as I'm doing it to make sure no water is trapped in any of the elbows after I am finished. Thanks again for everyone's insight.
Mike
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #18

Yes. It was the seams.
I did the air last time too, then the antifreeze.
The air only gets out so much water. The pipes go up, down, circles. The valve pipes are tees, and loops. The residual water seems to come back.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #19

Just discovered the same leaks in mine. Two elbows cracked and one of the three way valves. Anyone have a source for a new three way valve that will match the oem ones?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #20

Casn anyone tell me where they are getting the parts to fix these water leaks behind the utility panel?
taurus88two is offline   Reply With Quote