Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Leaving fifth wheel parked for an extended period of time

Should I place something underneath the tires, special blocks or something when parking the camper for an extended period of time? Someone told me the tires could get flat spots from sitting so long, not flat tires but flattened areas.
Freeriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeriver View Post
Should I place something underneath the tires, special blocks or something when parking the camper for an extended period of time? Someone told me the tires could get flat spots from sitting so long, not flat tires but flattened areas.
Genuine concern. And you should be concerned about keeping them aired-up so they don't go flat.

Nothing you can place under the tires will prevent a flat spot since the weight of the RV will be on them all the time. Raise the 5r and install jack-stands to get all the weight off the tires will keep them round and any air loss won't be a problem. However, it makes them much easier to steal!

How long is 'Extended' anyway?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Flattened areas/flat spots can happen if a trailer or any vehicle sits for an extended length of time. However, that length of time is definitely longer than a winter season. The slight flat spot created during a winter season will quickly disappear once you have properly inflated and rolled down the road a couple miles.
If you are parking it for a lot longer, placing something under the tires will not help prevent these flat spots because the trailer is still sitting on the the tires, only now the tires are sitting on whatever you placed under them. Also, tires will slowly lose pressure over time. This doesn't help with flat spots.

If you are going to be parking the trailer on a permanent location or for a very long period of time, you need to get the weight off the tires. If you look at long term construction sites you will see they lift the portable office trailers so that the tires are approximately 1 inch off the ground.
I would also highly recommend covering the tires to protect against UV and weather deterioration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #4

I've never experienced anything like flat spots or flattening from storing on the ground only. I think the worst that can happen is pooling of water (which isn't good) or sinking. I've kept vehicles sitting for years without flattening or spots.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

We are parked at a seasonal site. I was told not to have the tires off of the ground? They stated it would not be good for the hydraulic jacks? Now I'm confused. Glad I saw this post, any feedback would be appreciated!
caussprung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caussprung View Post
We are parked at a seasonal site. I was told not to have the tires off of the ground? They stated it would not be good for the hydraulic jacks? Now I'm confused. Glad I saw this post, any feedback would be appreciated!
A full 6 months is not a problem for the tires. Air-up once or twice during the camping season and all will be OK.

Yes, raising the RV off the ground and leaving it on the hydraulics is unhealthy since it leaves all the hoses, seals, valves, etc. under excessive pressure.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by caussprung View Post
Caussprung, the leveling jacks on your trailer are not intended to support the entire weight of your trailer which is why some suggest jacking up the trailer with hydraulic jacks and placing jack stands or blocks under the frame. This places the weight, that would normally be on the tires, onto the jackstands or blocks and then the stabilizer jacks will take up some weight to stabilize or prevent trailer from shaking. The Jayco manual also warns against supporting the weight of the trailer on the stabilizer jacks because they could be bent or damaged.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

When I lived in my 5er full time (3 years at one of my duty stations), I raised the trailer so that the wheels were off the ground, placed several jack stands underneath along the frame and let the jackstands support the weight of the trailer with the wheels off the ground and was able to retract the stabilizers. I also had the entire trailer skirted with plywood, and the wheels were entirely covered. I also had insulated and heat traced the city water connection and sewer line.

Stabilizers are meant to stabilize and keep the rig from rocking, and should not be utilized to support the weight of the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Site Team

Here is something you can use. They are rounded RV levelers. It will be about $100 for 4. I would still use jack stands to take a little of the weight off of the springs/wheels

Don
Attached Thumbnails
EAGLE - Wheel leveler rounded.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

When I park mine for the winter, I back it up onto 2x8 pressure treated boards, just so they are off the actual gravel in my spot. During the summer, I dont use the boards at all, as it does move.

Also, who pulls the battery out for the winter? I usually do, but some people I talk with dont.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
When I park mine for the winter, I back it up onto 2x8 pressure treated boards, just so they are off the actual gravel in my spot. During the summer, I dont use the boards at all, as it does move.

Also, who pulls the battery out for the winter? I usually do, but some people I talk with dont.
I pull the battery. It's sitting in my semi-heated garage plugged into a battery tender. I hate having to buy batteries needlessly. When I winterize my motorcycle, I also use a battery tender on the bike. I'm on year 7 with that one. I was replacing them every 3 years before. I've never had someone steal a battery from me, but that's a benefit of having it in your garage. I guess it happens from time to time.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeriver View Post
I always believed that was a good idea. I use 2X10 boards just to make sure that no part of the tire is hanging over the edge. It also helps to keep the tires out of frozen water from melting snow, should that be an issue.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:26 AM   #13

Radial tires don't flat spot. That's bias tires.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #14

check out the sticky "Trailer Tire Facts" About 3/4 of the way down is information regarding storage. There is also a lot of other good information.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #15

Geez, I wonder what they do for all those units sitting on dealer lots for years???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 AM   #16

I fail to see how there can be any benefit from putting the tires on wood. At the end of the day they sit on something, whether it be concrete, asphalt, wood or otherwise. The tire doesn't know the difference, nor does it care. But some of these habits are what they are. If it makes you feel better there is no harm in doing so.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I fail to see how there can be any benefit from putting the tires on wood. At the end of the day they sit on something, whether it be concrete, asphalt, wood or otherwise. The tire doesn't know the difference, nor does it care. But some of these habits are what they are. If it makes you feel better there is no harm in doing so.
I agree

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
The tire doesn't know the difference, nor does it care.
Mine care! They are very sensitive tires.
Actually, I don't know if they care or not but where I store the RV does care. They want them up on wood in order to "lessen" the damage to the asphault.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #19

We park on gravel and I make sure the ground is flat before we leave it for the winter. I cover the tires to keep it from the sun and so snow and ice doesn't accumulate on the rims and tires. I pull the battery and keep it in my garage on a tender, never had a problem.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #20

my tires sit on the paved ground and I have never had a problem