Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 AM   #1

Angry Length of 5th wheel

going on the factory tour this week. Question. I have a 33 ft pull behind travel travel. Going to a 5th wheel. I have never pulled a 5vr. Was looking at getting about a 38 foot 5th wheel. All the floor plans and models I like are in the 40ft range. How much of difference will that 2 feet be? Or should I settle for a shorter 5th wheel.
Punk peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #2

2 extra feet on a fifth wheel is nothing. They turn so well and back even easier. I wouldn't stress about 2 feet IMO.

UPC
Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #3

Just watch those turns and you'll be ok. The longer they are, the easier they seem to back up.

Our 351RSTS is 42.5' long and it didn't take long to get used to it. One other thing I'll mention is be aware of any length restrictions your state may have. We had a devil of a time getting ours registered because it was over 39'.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Just watch those turns and you'll be ok. The longer they are, the easier they seem to back up.

Our 351RSTS is 42.5' long and it didn't take long to get used to it. One other thing I'll mention is be aware of any length restrictions your state may have. We had a devil of a time getting ours registered because it was over 39'.
2x, watch the turns. A bumper pull seems to follow the tracks of the TV pretty well. The 5th will make the turn tighter than the TV. My "mantra" is " turn wide and turn late". That aside, the 5th does tow really well. Very stable.

Quahog, what is the reg difference for TT over 40' here in TX?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

Towing you won't know it's there, the 2-4ft that is. Where you notice it is in the CG. I have been in a few CG's where I can't make the turn to get into the site due to cars or just plain too narrow of a road. It takes a few repositions to get the truck and unit straigtened out in order to level the unit. On more than one occasion I have had to back out of a pull through due to narrowness and obstacles that I just could not clear pulling out ahead. TV will also make a difference as my turning radius is for the birds due to my wheel base.

Don't not buy the unit you want based on this, you will just need to be mindful of your site selection.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
2x, watch the turns. A bumper pull seems to follow the tracks of the TV pretty well. The 5th will make the turn tighter than the TV. My "mantra" is " turn wide and turn late". That aside, the 5th does tow really well. Very stable.

Quahog, what is the reg difference for TT over 40' here in TX?
Red,

I must attract attention. The DMV has a form VTR-141 that if you put anything 40' or more on it, they won't register it. They consider it to be a mobile home and refer you to the Dept of Housing and Community Affairs. Then if you decide to move it, you have to obtain a temporary tag for each and every trip.

I fought this for five weeks after getting our new rig home and they wouldn't budge. Even after escalating it to Austin, I got the same answer...

I contacted several dealerships and spoke to their title people. Got in touch with Escapees and gathered more data. I even called "dealer line" where all the dealerships go to get answers for difficult situations.

The fix? You have to say it's 39' or less on the form or the system will not accept it. Since the lady at the 3rd DMV I went to asked if I was ok using 38' after the system once again kicked it out, I said yeah, ok. That did the trick.

So you're asking yourself... then how the heck do all these tens of thousands of other vehicles in the state successfully get their plates. The answer is they must lie on the form.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Towing you won't know it's there, the 2-4ft that is. Where you notice it is in the CG. I have been in a few CG's where I can't make the turn to get into the site due to cars or just plain too narrow of a road. It takes a few repositions to get the truck and unit straigtened out in order to level the unit. On more than one occasion I have had to back out of a pull through due to narrowness and obstacles that I just could not clear pulling out ahead. TV will also make a difference as my turning radius is for the birds due to my wheel base.

Don't not buy the unit you want based on this, you will just need to be mindful of your site selection.
To add to what 3'senough said, we stayed at a SP near Texarkana that had no available sites with sewer so when it came time to use the dump station, I found myself in a pickle. There was just no way I was going to make it through the circular turn that includes pilings, a bath house, and a drop-off on the dump side. It took me 15 mins of assisted guidance to back out and get on our way. Thank goodness there was a camp host there who was an experienced spotter. Best advice I can give is just look before you leap. But other than the tight turns, etc., I love the rig and pulling it is easy.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk peach View Post
... Question. I have a 33 ft pull behind travel travel. Going to a 5th wheel. I have never pulled a 5vr. ...
Hi Punk peach

I agree with the advice & suggestion that everyone else has provided.

We just went from a 30 ft travel trailer to a 40ft 5vr. Like you, it's our 1st 5vr after having travel trailers for ~20yrs.
Watch your turns because the 5vr will track slightly inside the tow vehicle, which is different then what you're probably used to when making turns with the trailer.

Also, I've found backing up the 5vr is much different then backing up a travel trailer. It's taken me a while to get acclimated and learn how to back up the 5vr. It just takes patients and practice to get used to the slight differences.

Good luck.