Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #21

Good Hope, Georgia... pretty small town. We've got a General Store and a flashing red light at the main intersection. That is pretty much the whole town :-)

We will probably hit one of the big RV shows and just walk through a bunch... I think they have one in Atlanta every year. We just went to an RV lot a few days ago and climbed through a bunch of North Points and Eagles. We have been alternating between the rear bunk and mid bunk plans, and are leaning towards the mid just because it has a nicer, more open living area.

We have four kids, and a Fifth Wheel just seems more appealing due to the size. I'm not too worried about pulling it, though I have a healthy respect for it. I do have a bunch of friends with them... not sure they will be happy about me learning on their rig though :-)

We're still a year off from buying, I'm just planning ahead, doing lots of research and getting my financial ducks in a row.

The heat pump seems to be only a NorthPoint option, as does the 6-point leveling. Does anybody feel strongly one way or another about either of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #22

There is another mfgr (can't remember which one) that has the virtually IDENTICAL floorplan to the North Point 377 RLBH. Theirs is about $10K cheaper..... but when you add their options that are standard in the North Point, THEN compare the quality of the construction, it's a no-brainer...... The ONLY thing pushing it away from North Point and toward the other is the North Point pin weight is significantly higher....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #23

the six-point leveling is very solid. Didn't go for the heat-pump, as cold weather gives us more of an excuse to snuggle. (at our ages, we need that!). Seriously, the furnaces have always done us well, even camping in a snowstorm!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #24

The heat pump doesn't tickle my tummy. If it's cold then furnace works just fine. No need for some other gadget to watch over.
But I wouldn't be using 4 point leveling on a big rig. Two lifting behind the axels and 2 up front leaves a lot of room for frame flex on an already weak frame.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
So, some thoughts.
We have had TTs for 16-17 years before buying the 355MBQS.

Our last TT had a rear bunk room. It was 35' long. We are at about the same length when hooked with the 355MBQS since some of the 39' is in the bed. The 5th pulls SO MUCH better than the TT, and the TT wasn't bad....

We found that the rear bunkhouse on the TT wasted much living space as our 2 kids (6 & 9 years old) didn't spend much time in there like we thought they would. They wanted to be in the living area with everyone else. This was a problem as we only had a love seat and the booth. Only 2 of us got a comfortable seat. A big reason for our trade to the 5th was more living space.

We looked at other floor plans with the mid bunk room, but most that have the bigger bunk room like the 377 are 43-44' long and 16,000lbs. The 355 grosses at 13,7500lbs. This meant I could keep my current truck. Also, we camp in many State/National parks. 39' is pushing the limits, and we worried the 44' would be too much. The 355 to us fits the big, but not too big size.

Dully vs SRW. I say it depends. Dully is more stable and carrys big pin weight better. In my case, I work for a hospital. I must daily my truck and use parking garages some. DRW is out of the question for me. My SRW barely fits in some of the garage spots. Something to think about.

We boondock some. Tank size was important to us. As well as the 355s ability to have 3 batteries.

We are very glad we got the 2016. We like some of the 2017 changes, but not all. (Pocket door for bath is one.) We are not sold on the redesigned bunk area. A little more storage is nice, but that folding top bunk must be 48-50". Not long at all. In the 2016, the top bunk is 5' and the bottom is 6'. Not sure how much use the top bunk would be. Our 9yo is already over 5' tall....

I agree with the rent a RV for a long weekend and see if it is for you. We have known 2 sets of friends/family that bought a TT to go to the beach with family/friends. Both had only stayed in the on-site cabins/rentals before while the others were in their RVs. Both hated the towing to the beach. They did not like the fact that the RV required upkeep/maintenance. Both used the units twice to go to the beach, and never did any other weekend trips. Sold after a year or two at a big loss....

If you buy new, check prices with the couple of big online dealers. We were very pleased with their service, and wound up driving almost 600 miles one way to get our rig. Local dealer was $6500 more after negotiations, and actually told me it wasn't worth his time to sell to me at RVOne's price...... I must say RVOne did a very good PDI, and let me crawl all over the thing on pickup day. No rushing us or pressure. The couple of small things were handled quickly and we were on our way. It was stressful buying something this big "remotely", but worked out well in the end.

Sorry for the long rambling post.....I may have more to add later.

Thank you for the long post... I missed this one somehow and just read it today.

The new 355 certainly is a mixed bag. The flip-down bunk will be useful for a few years, and then not so much. I'm 6'3" and my kids will probably not long fit in that one. We would get the fold out sofa beneath it, but as the kids grow, it looks like it would be for one person. The loft is plenty big for even two grown ups in sleeping bags though.

I like the fact that a rear bunk gives each one of my kids their own space, but like you mentioned it takes away living area. In our house, the kids always seem to gravitate towards where we are anyway.

I did not realize the size difference between the 377 and 355 and the implications. Thanks for pointing that out!

Have you had to bring yours into a local RV place for service? Just wondering if there are any implications for buying at an online retailer if something breaks down later.

I'm leaning towards a dually, but I'm glad it can be done with a SRW. I'd like to use it as my commuter also, so I'm still wrestling with that and have a bunch of numbers to crunch.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
The heat pump doesn't tickle my tummy. If it's cold then furnace works just fine. No need for some other gadget to watch over.
But I wouldn't be using 4 point leveling on a big rig. Two lifting behind the axels and 2 up front leaves a lot of room for frame flex on an already weak frame.

The 4-point auto level comes standard on the Eagle, and I assume it levels on those, and then you manually extend #5 and #6 for 6-point stability. But you're saying don't do that?

Do you know if 6-point is even an option on an Eagle. I got the impression from calling Jayco that they only do what's listed on the floor plan.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #27

From my conversations the frames are spec built for jayco by Lippert. Initially i was concerned about the 4 pt vs 6 pt systems.

Im staying in a park this weekend and have had the opportunity to walk through the Northpoint and the Eagle. My concerns about wanting the 6 point system on my 355 have now been alleviated. Both were stable with really no noticible difference. Neither owner had any complaints and both were new units purchased from the same dealer out of Kent, Wa.

If i were spending more time in the rig (retired) or had more disposable income the NP would be my choice . The heatpump would be nice if in a moderate climate and paying for metered electric.

However if i were dropping another 20-30k there are some other serious contenders I would consider alongside Jayco which muddies the water a little bit.

Honestly, i dont think you can make a bad decision with either unit as long as your willing to invest in a capable tow rig and are sure you will enjoy an RV.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
The 4-point auto level comes standard on the Eagle, and I assume it levels on those, and then you manually extend #5 and #6 for 6-point stability. But you're saying don't do that?

Do you know if 6-point is even an option on an Eagle. I got the impression from calling Jayco that they only do what's listed on the floor plan.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk
There is no 6 point on the Eagle.
What I'm saying is on a long rig there is a big span between the front legs and the back legs.
My NorthPoint groans and creaks when the back legs lift. I can hear the closed Windows creaking in their frames. Then when the middle jacks come down they lift at the middle of the frame and groan the frame back to a fairly stable condition.
In an extreme case with 4 point leveling the axels will basically be hanging off the frame, between the front and rear jacks... With 6 point the axels would be hanging between the rear and middle jacks.

There are all ready problems with the Schwintek slides binding up on long rigs because of the frame stress. Jayco had already changed their opinion (not officially) on whether to level first before putting out the slides or not.

IMHO I would pass on 4 point leveling and do it with boards or blocks and rear stabilizers....old school.
Your already going to have to "pre level" under the wheels anyways with Ground Control 3.0 because it will error out if you are more then 2" out of level. The 6 point isn't all that great of a system, I would think the 4 point would be even worse.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Jayco had already changed their opinion (not officially) on whether to level first before putting out the slides or not.
So level first, then put slides out? (This is what the dealer taught me at the PDI)
Or slides out, THEN level?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
So level first, then put slides out? (This is what the dealer taught me at the PDI)
Or slides out, THEN level?
Level first was their rule. Then some long rigs were having binding issues.
The threads are here but I can't remember where.

Then Jayco told somebody "what ever works for you"

If you think about it the slides are installed while the frame is sitting level on the axels.
When you park the rig, whether the trailer is nose high or low or leaning to one side, the frame is still at rest on the axels.

When you level with the jacks there is, obviously, stress on the frame.
The frame was made to cantilever off the back axels, not to be lifted behind the back axels. Lifting at the back, while the front legs are down, is going to stress the frame to some degree.
Especially on the 377. I can't believe how far back they put the rear jacks. (Unless that was mistakes on the units I saw)

Anyways, there isn't much clearances on the Schwintek slide...it wouldn't take much to make it bind.
And for some, that's what was happening.

If leveling first works for you, then all is good...but if you all of a sudden need to do some super leveling and your slide binds then try doing the slides first.

There is not one unit on my dealers lot that is sitting level or on its levelers and they put the slides in and out all the time. So I don't see the "level first" being the hard fast rule to go by.

Perhaps this issue is why Jayco is putting a 12" frame under the 2017 Pinnacles.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #31

It is interesting how varied the opinions of these units can be.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #32

I always level first then put slides out ... I am sure since it is built and checked sitting on axles it would be fine doing it either way but just harder for me to deploy center jacks with slides out
Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I always level first then put slides out ... I am sure since it is built and checked sitting on axles it would be fine doing it either way but just harder for me to deploy center jacks with slides out
Why is it harder?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
IMHO I would pass on 4 point leveling and do it with boards or blocks and rear stabilizers....old school.
Your already going to have to "pre level" under the wheels anyways with Ground Control 3.0 because it will error out if you are more then 2" out of level. The 6 point isn't all that great of a system, I would think the 4 point would be even worse.
We haven't had our 355 long, but twice I have had the 3.0 work fine at almost 3 degrees side to side.
Both times the curb side tires were an inch or 2 off the ground. (In fact, it is sitting on my gravel pad at home like this right now. I have to level the pad once it is moved for the next trip.)
I do add 3-6" of blocking under the jacks before starting the leveling process. The rear jacks only have about 12" of travel, and will run out of length before level is achieved if you don't use blocking.
I also do not extend the front leg extensions all the way. I stop 4-6" from the ground and then run the jacks down. This leaves plenty of space for the trailer to come down for level if needed.
So far I have been pleased with the 3.0 - 4 point system. I just had to learn some tricks.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #35
Dan

I have owned the 355MBQS just a few weeks but have yet to take it on a trip (East coast trip in July) BUT this is what I would consider if I were you:
1. Before dumping $$ into a CC diesel are you sure the six of you will be comfortable? Your kids are going to get bigger, fast. I would not want to travel long distances with any more than the four of us (plus a big lab in back w kids) in our truck
2. With that in mind there are some very nice TT's that you may be able to pull with a TV that would better suit your family, like a 3/4 ton van, used excursion, or beefed up suburban, etc

Not trying to be a fun-sponge but wouldn't want you to drop a bunch of money and in five years have to make a big change because you all cant cram into the pickup!

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #36

I a little late here, but I'll add my 2 cents.

Buy your 3rd camper is solid advice. We went from a tent to a 33' fifth wheel. We used that for 9 years and just traded for our 29.5 BHDS Eagle HT. That will last is until or two kids are done with us. We've avoid the trade in, trade up game.

One piece of advice I haven't seen yet is to consider the type of camping you plan to do and where you plan to go. This is where renting may help you a bit.

We do several weekends in state parks within a few hours from home. Holiday weekend (3 day weekends) well stretch a bit further away, but still a state park. We try to take a two week vacation every year and usually spend a good chunk of it in a National Park. Once you get over 35' (trailer length) you get very limited spots in the National Parks. State parks are a toss up. In Michigan, we have room for big rigs, but I've heard other States are right for space and have smaller sites.

When we were looking, we liked the one we got, but I didn't want the extra 2' of length over what we had. In the end, we got it. I'll do my best to shoe horn it into our spots.

If you decide that National Parks (most are no hook ups by the way) are not for you, then you don't need to worry. Or, if you don't mind staying outside the parks, there are usually private campgrounds with hook ups. We didn't want to make that sacrifice. We like being in the middle of it as much as possible.

If you think you may want to leave your options open, the Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS has some of the biggest bunks you'll find outside of a toy hauler. They'd have to share beds though. The 28.5 BX model has more beds, but they are smaller and I believe shorter.

At some point you'll just have to Jump. It's really easy to get caught in analysis paralysis, especially when you hear all kinds of opinions, some contradicting. Make your decision, use it, enjoy it and make memories.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #37

Thanks Cdash! Funny enough, you posted that while I was with the family on a day trip to Yosemite (in our minivan). I spent the whole trip wondering how anybody would dare bring an RV in there (laugh!).

You have sparked a good discussion between my wife and I about how and where we would actually use it, so thank you.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #38

yes length is definitely a determining factor when you plan trips ... we went from a 32 foot to a 39 foot travel trailer and it does make it more interesting booking sites but I have always been able to get it in there and we camp mostly at state parks.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
Thanks Cdash! Funny enough, you posted that while I was with the family on a day trip to Yosemite (in our minivan). I spent the whole trip wondering how anybody would dare bring an RV in there (laugh!).

You have sparked a good discussion between my wife and I about how and where we would actually use it, so thank you.

That would probably be us.

I've had the old fifth wheel in many places where most people wouldn't dare to go and we probably shouldn't have gone. Never damaged the RV outside of some distorted trim and a slight dent in the truck bed from a switch back that caused trailer/truck bed contact. Been in some really tight urban spots in Jersey and Boston, and also in the middle of nowhere. Let me tell you that leaving Yellowstone, or was it Cody, and going up into, through and out of the Big Horn National Forest in the middle of O-dark-thirty was interesting.

In the end, it's all part of the experience and we've seen some cool places.

We are leaving for Glacier National Park in a couple weeks to spend two weeks, half on each side in the park, without any hookups. I'm hoping my solar kit shows up next week like it's supposed to in order to make things a bit easier. Many wouldn't do it, but we love it! Last year in the Rockies, we had a couple dozen elk, and a sow moose with calf in the campground. Doesn't get much better for us!

You'll get all sorts of opinions. You just have to figure out how you will use it! No way is wrong, we all do it differently!