Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Leveling blocks & Jacks

Hello!!

Need some advice.. I have a 2017 29.5 BHDS fifth wheel with the 4 point leveling system..

1) How many blocks can I use under the front landing gear (or leveling jacks)? I know it's personal preference, but as I understand it the less your jacks are extended then the trailer should theoretically be slightly more stable (mission: eliminating movement when people walk around). I usually keep one 2x6 just to keep the jacks off the dirt, but I saw a fifth wheel on our last camping trip that had like 5 2x6's cut to about 12 inches and nailed/stacked together.

2) Routinely, when leveling, at least one side of the trailer wheels are off the ground. Most of the time it's just enough for the tire to free spin.. Once, it was a few inches. I feel like the internet is a buzz with opinions on this (whether wheels off the ground is good or bad), but my guess is wheels on the ground is better. To that end, what are people doing to accomplish this? I disconnect the trailer from the truck and then auto-level. Are people reconnecting, backing trailer over boards, disconnecting and re-leveling? Seems like a real pain in the rump! Could I force the jacks up enough to slide a board underneath them and then re-level? I guess the question is, what are people doing to accommodate the possibility of the wheels coming off the ground?

Thanks!
D
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #2

We are on a seasonal at our lake, but I do tow about 4-5 times a year for other trips. At the lake, I use landscape pavers that are 3" tall under all jacks. I use 4 each up front, and 2 each in the rear. Like you said, less leg out should result in a little more stability.

As far as being off the ground, I've had that a few times when travelling. I don't see where it's a huge issue myself, but to each their own.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

We don't put any extra under the front jacks and put all we can fit under the rear jacks. We've gotten used to the movement and don't try to prevent it.

We've had wheels off the ground a couple times. My opinion is that it's fine and to leave it be. My wife's opinion is that it shouldn't be that way. I grab a beer and watch her try to stuff blocks under the tire herself. But she is also the one that asks me if we have to put all the jacks down before we open slides, every time for the last 11 years.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

I also use the Lego blocks under all jacks at all times. The stack heigh depends on how much distance there is between the ground and the jack.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
We are on a seasonal at our lake, but I do tow about 4-5 times a year for other trips. At the lake, I use landscape pavers that are 3" tall under all jacks. I use 4 each up front, and 2 each in the rear. Like you said, less leg out should result in a little more stability.

As far as being off the ground, I've had that a few times when travelling. I don't see where it's a huge issue myself, but to each their own.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input! If I'm reading you correctly, then you currently have 12 inches (4 pavers x 3 inches per paver) of pavers under each front jack and 6 inches (2 pavers x 3 inches per paver) in the back?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I also use the Lego blocks under all jacks at all times. The stack heigh depends on how much distance there is between the ground and the jack.

Earl
Mopar_earl,

On average, how much material (height wise) do you have between the ground and the jack? Looking to get a better understanding of what the community is doing so I don't do something that looks or is stupid.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
We don't put any extra under the front jacks and put all we can fit under the rear jacks. We've gotten used to the movement and don't try to prevent it.

We've had wheels off the ground a couple times. My opinion is that it's fine and to leave it be. My wife's opinion is that it shouldn't be that way. I grab a beer and watch her try to stuff blocks under the tire herself. But she is also the one that asks me if we have to put all the jacks down before we open slides, every time for the last 11 years.
HAHA..

If I may ask, do you have a specific reason why you don't put anything under the front jacks or is it "just 'cause"?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by datx View Post
Mopar_earl,

On average, how much material (height wise) do you have between the ground and the jack? Looking to get a better understanding of what the community is doing so I don't do something that looks or is stupid.
Normally about 6 of the camping world yellow Lego blocks. Sometimes more sometimes less. Just depends on the ground. I camp only in state parks and fields, so I never have level sites.

Earl
Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

I typically use two 2x6 and two lego blocks under each front jack. Of course this is dependent on how level the site is. Reduce the amount of jack extended and you have gone a long way to reducing movement felt inside.

I don't believe the four point electric levelling system is designed to lift the unit of the ground. The hydraulic 4 point probably is.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
I typically use two 2x6 and two lego blocks under each front jack. Of course this is dependent on how level the site is. Reduce the amount of jack extended and you have gone a long way to reducing movement felt inside.

I don't believe the four point electric levelling system is designed to lift the unit of the ground. The hydraulic 4 point probably is.
The auto leveling on my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS has no problem lifing wheels in the air as needed. If it couldn't level that much I wouldn't want it!

Earl
Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the input! If I'm reading you correctly, then you currently have 12 inches (4 pavers x 3 inches per paver) of pavers under each front jack and 6 inches (2 pavers x 3 inches per paver) in the back?
That is correct. I have none of my secondary leg extended and only about 4" of the main leg is extended once the fiver has leveled itself. I may also add, I have very little movement with this setup. If we are in the bed up front, and the 12yr old gets up in the back or moves in the back, there is movement, but very little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #12

I have been using Andersen Trailer Jack Blocks on the 4 stabilizer and just some wood on the front.
https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ack-block.aspx
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
I have been using Andersen Trailer Jack Blocks on the 4 stabilizer and just some wood on the front.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ack-block.aspx

I have been looking at the Anderson jack blocks for a couple months. They seem like a great solution but I can't bring myself to spending $78 a pair. Do you feel as if they are worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne70 View Post
I have been looking at the Anderson jack blocks for a couple months. They seem like a great solution but I can't bring myself to spending $78 a pair. Do you feel as if they are worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do like them a lot. Solid clean and easy to store as they stack on top of each other. At times can be very close when put under the jack. As of now very happy with them.
I don't use them on the front landing gear.

Worth it
I don't know I've probably spent more and got less at some time for RV gear.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Hello!!

Need some advice.. I have a 2017 29.5 BHDS fifth wheel with the 4 point leveling system..

1) How many blocks can I use under the front landing gear (or leveling jacks)? I know it's personal preference, but as I understand it the less your jacks are extended then the trailer should theoretically be slightly more stable (mission: eliminating movement when people walk around). I usually keep one 2x6 just to keep the jacks off the dirt, but I saw a fifth wheel on our last camping trip that had like 5 2x6's cut to about 12 inches and nailed/stacked together.

2) Routinely, when leveling, at least one side of the trailer wheels are off the ground. Most of the time it's just enough for the tire to free spin.. Once, it was a few inches. I feel like the internet is a buzz with opinions on this (whether wheels off the ground is good or bad), but my guess is wheels on the ground is better. To that end, what are people doing to accomplish this? I disconnect the trailer from the truck and then auto-level. Are people reconnecting, backing trailer over boards, disconnecting and re-leveling? Seems like a real pain in the rump! Could I force the jacks up enough to slide a board underneath them and then re-level? I guess the question is, what are people doing to accommodate the possibility of the wheels coming off the ground?

Thanks!
D
1) We use Andersen trailer jack blocks on the front of our 5th wheel. They're about 8" tall and like you said, the shorter the extension the more stability. Plus it makes hitching up easier as you don't have to extend as far. On the back we use the "lego" blocks - about 4 on each side for about a 6" rise. Since they're all interlocked, they won't slide apart. Same idea as before, the more height under the jacks, the less they have to extend and the more stable it it. Plus they won't go "out of stroke" for over extending with blocks under them.

2) I hate to say it but I've also had the "floating wheel" problem when I first started using our 4 point auto level. I suspect the leveling system forgets where level actually is and in the process it lifts the axle and tire(s) up. Scared us too when the axle fell back into place (BANG!). To remedy this, when you unhitch the rig and raise all the jacks so you're as low as you can be - manually adjust the auto level to "Zero" out (reset). This puts you back to square 1 so when you do level up, it's more accurate and the tires stay on the ground. When your rig weighs 10K like mine, you want the added support of the tires on the ground. They'll help stabilize the trailer too. I just can't imagine all that rig being held up by 4 little jacks for any length of time.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 AM   #16

I was taught years ago that you always level your axles first. This puts a lot less strain on your leveling system. I carry 2x8s in the back of my truck and a straight 1x1. I get the rig close to where I want it then get the 1x1 and lay it where my axles will be with a level on it. Then I add 2x8s on the low side until I'm level. My 2x8s are each cut 6 inches shorter then the first so my longest is 8 foot my shortest is 4 foot. This leaves a stair step effect so its easier to pull the camper up on.
rogers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers81 View Post
I was taught years ago that you always level your axles first. This puts a lot less strain on your leveling system. I carry 2x8s in the back of my truck and a straight 1x1. I get the rig close to where I want it then get the 1x1 and lay it where my axles will be with a level on it. Then I add 2x8s on the low side until I'm level. My 2x8s are each cut 6 inches shorter then the first so my longest is 8 foot my shortest is 4 foot. This leaves a stair step effect so its easier to pull the camper up on.
Wow, sounds like that procedure would take up half your first day camping
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Wow, sounds like that procedure would take up half your first day camping

No it actually shortens your time if you do it right. I know it could be complicated for some, but if your familiar with how the different leveling systems work then it's quite simple.
rogers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #19

Does anyone else with a 377RLBH have the Andersen Jack blocks? I bought the 6 pack kit, and was pumped about it, but when they arrived they are too tall to fit under my leveling jacks I can't figure out what to do. My rear jacks are as high as they can go.

mjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #20

I use the LEGO type blocks under the low side wheels to get as close to level as possible, then usually stack square pieces of 2x10’s under the jacks (plus LEGO blocks if on a real slope) before auto-leveling. Sometimes the wheels come off the ground slightly but I don’t worry about it.

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote