Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Living room slide-out

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all !!! I own a 2015 Jayco Eagle 26.5 HT RLS.

While extending the living room slide, it will "stop" about half way out. I then release and press the slide out button again and it will then continue all the way out. It doesn't seem to smoothly extend.

What should I look for on the outside? Thanks in advance,
sgtglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #2

Interesting!
I have the same year and model and I've never had that problem- but I have burned out a slide motor.
I believe there is an auto resetting circuit breaker on that motor feed. If, when it stops it doesn't sound like the motor is still trying to turn, then I would suspect the breaker is tripping. Then the question would be, why.
Could be a bad motor.
Could be low battery voltage causing the motor to have to work too hard.
Could be the slide is binding and needs adjustment.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Site Team

If it is warranty, have it checked. Like BuddyRay says, something is causing the motor to shut off. Likely binding causing the motor to draw to much current or a defective resettable breaker.

Either case it need to be fixed as it will not get better on it's own.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Did you extend your slide out using the remote or the button on the panel? I know we have had some issues with extending ours using the remote. We have no issues with the button on the panel, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglenn View Post
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all !!! I own a 2015 Jayco Eagle 26.5 HT RLS.

While extending the living room slide, it will "stop" about half way out. I then release and press the slide out button again and it will then continue all the way out. It doesn't seem to smoothly extend.

Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #5

We also have that issue that issue when using the remote. The panel button works properly.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

I have also experienced that issue using the remote. Never when using the switches inside on the panel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

I only use the switch inside the RV. I am going to have it checked out as soon as Jayco responds to my inquiry about authorized repair shops. I will post afterwards.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglenn View Post

I had the same problem on my 5th wheel. it was on warranty and I took it to the dealer. He tested the motor and found it was defective pulling to many amps. That was causing the breaker to trip. The breaker will reset in a few seconds and then work the motor again until the next time it trips. The dealer replaced the motor, tested it and found it now pulls the correct amperage.
dgodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

Sometime, when reading a forum post, I read it so fast that I miss important details.

In this case I responded before I mentally absorbed the part about the problem ONLY occurring when using the remote. SgtGlen also says that it will work "immediately" after you release the button and press it again. Auto resetting circuit breakers take a few minutes to reset - so I don't think this is a circuit breaker problem.

There is a circuit panel for the remote control. It's in the back of the kitchen upper cabinet, behind a piece of panel held on by 2 screws. I've looked at that panel several times while making wiring changes but my unit is on the storage lot right now so I can't look again.
BUT - that panel is the "receiver" for the remote and contains relays that control the power to the slides, (and the other things the remote controls). I'm betting the problem is on that panel because the panel and the wall switch for the slide are two different circuits - each sending power separately to the motor. Things to consider:
1) If the remote fully charged? If the remote is loosing radio signal with the circuit board during extend, it would stop. Low battery on the remote might cause that.
2) Connection that needs to be tightened. If the screw down connectors that power the slide on the circuit board aren't tight enough they could be creating resistance and not sending enough power to the motor.
3) There may be (I don't remember) an antenna on that circuit board (probably just a short piece of wire. Is it connected/loose? Could cause loss of signal from the remote.

Do other functions of the remote work reliably? The BR slide for example?

If it's nothing obvious, it may be a bad circuit board that is just breaking connection every so often on that one slide.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

To clarify my problem was the motor. It would happen regardless of using the remote or the switch on the panel.
dgodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

January 12 update: I was able to drop off the RV today. The appointment was made during the first three days of December so they are about 6 weeks out on appointments.

I hope to have it diagnosed in a few days, but the initial thought was the "switch". No remote on this RV, so this is the inside slide switch.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #12

Initial results:

Vogt, the selling dealership and authorized Jayco repair location has said the issue with the slide-out is the "installation of the slide-out topper" is placing the top portion of the slide in a bind.

The toppers were bought and installed at an RV dealership where I was living at the time. A reputable dealership.

I have requested that the dealership who installed the topper contact Vogt. They, in essence said they don't make a habit of paying another dealership for repairs. Vogt states they can move the slide topper "up" and in essence fill the holes with silicone to prevent the RV from leaking for a price of $425.00. Little steep in my opinion to simply rehang a slide topper and squirt silicone is a few holes.

My question: What if the install dealership says; "bring it to us" which would require me to drive about 1.5 hours out of the way.