Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
We towed our first FW with both long beds and short beds and found no big difference. When we did get the short bed, we got a slider hitch because the turn to get backed into our parking place was a little tight, unless I drove a long ways up the neighbor's driveway. Bought a new FW last year, Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS and towed it both with a long bed Dodge and a short bed GMC and noticed no difference. Still have the old slider hitch, but with the way they are making the fronts now, no real need for the slider, yet. My last three trucks, GMC, Dodge and GMC have all been crew-cabs and would not go back to an extended cab for anything. You should have no problem towing your new FW if you get a short bed truck.

2012 GMC 2500HD D/A Crewcab
2012 Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS
2009 Crestliner Superhawk 1900
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Never trust an rv 'dealer' for tv advice (Jayco or any brand dealer for that matter). You can't be certain that the person you speak with has your best safety/interest in mind.

Besides JOF of course, Rv.net is another resource for finding many active rv'ers who have experience towing a 5'er with shortbed and long beds (keep in mind and be prepared, the die-hard rv'ers will go into flaming wars over using a 1/2 - 3/4- or one ton tv even though you are asking about the bed size! LOL). Try posting there also. If you google something like "should i use a short bed or long bed to tow my fifth wheel" you will find different tv/rv forums out there with posts from folks that have experienced both.

Good luck, happy shopping, and let us know what you wind up doing
I would agree with your comment about trusting a dealer in some cases and disagree in other cases. I know two dealers that I trust for good advice and I know many that I would not trust for directions to the restroom in their own building. It all depends on your dealer. Trust is something that takes a while to develop. The one dealer that I trust totally doesn't even sell new RVs any more. They only do consignment sales and do RV repairs. I bought a pop up in 1989 and a travel trailer in 2001 from them and they stopped selling new units in 2004. I still take my RVs to him after the warranty period for all of my work. YMMV.

2011 Dodge 3500 DRW CC
2015 Open Range JT337RLS
rbrumfield is offline   Reply With Quote