Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #31
I suspect part of the issue with large slides is the system keeping it square going in and out. If your support sucks one side could bind up some then you have an issue. I am like you don't want to buy trouble. I have a 07 Jayco and enjoy it but it is the wrong for plan now. And most manufactures use the new s system. Good bad not sure but I assume it is a cheaper system to buy or build for. The rack and pinion system is tried and true but I think it takes up a lot of space, artic fox uses then still and when you look you seed the space taken up by it.

Honestly I'm not sold on it, I don't always have the luxury of only opening a slide when level.

Being a mechanic I like the idea of hydraulic slide and Jacks. Those that say the lightest slide moves first is true but some manufacturers install valves so you can control which ones moves even after the fact it would be easy to do. My only concern with this setup is poorly installed lines rubbing a hole in a hose. I swear if the RV industry spent an hour extra on a unit a lot of issues would never come up.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #32
Thanks everyone. I know there are many happy Jayco owners, perhaps thousands. I hear they offer great warranty service. I'm not trying to say Forest River or Keystone are any better. I don't want to get into a brand war here. In my opinion I think they all have quality control issues. If I'm going to spend a large amount of money on an RV I want to be sure about the decision.
I agree with imjustdave: "Honestly I'm not sold on it". The idea of pushing or pulling a large heavy slide with two small synced DC motors on an aluminum track doesn't appeal to me. Having to make sure you're level, have a fully charged battery and make sure you don't stop part way concerns me also. I do however like the simplicity and serviceability of the design. If the model we're looking at had a smaller, lighter slide I wouldn't hesitate.
Just not convinced it's something I want to take a chance on.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Safe travels.

Closed Thread