Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Looking for opinion on Eagle Fifth Wheel

We're presently looking at a Jayco Eagle (Residential Comfort) fifth wheel. We found a floor plan we like. We were all excited about trying to make a deal until I discovered it had a large Schwintek slide. I thought I would do a search on the slide because I wasn't familiar with it. I discovered pages of complaints of this slide not working properly. Now the excitement has subsided. Is this system as problematic as I think? Should we try to find a 5th wheel with hydraulic slides? The model we're looking at has a fairly large and heavy slide. I'm trying to get an idea of the failure rate on these units.
I called Lippert, the people that manufacture the slide system. They were extremely helpful. They said if installed properly should have very low failure rates. From what I understand it is very important to have the trailer level and operate the slide fully in and out.
My gut tells me move on. I think the system may be just a little to finicky.
Please provide feedback.
Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Welcome.

If you haven't already, you may find some information on this site using the search function.

There is lots of information floating around on the internet... and some of it may actually be correct!
But there is a lot of incorrect/bad information, too, that just will not go away.

Hopefully you'll hear from members on this site that can help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm mostly hearing good things about Jayco . Yes I'm trying to get an accurate indication to see if I should be concerned or not.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

I've had a few between my current trailer and my previous ones. Never had a problem. In fact, I like it better because the slide doesn't shake as it is extended and retracted. And the motor stops by itself rather than grinding gears. I am no expert, just personal experience. I've never actually had a hydraulic one that I am aware of. Only the type mentioned, and mechanical with an electric motor and gears.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team

I have a Schwintek slide in my bedroom slide. It is not a huge slide but I have not had any problem at all with it in 3+ years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. From what I hear the small slides seem to be trouble free. The larger slides more problems.
The model were looking has a slide out 11' long. Not very long but it has a 12 cu ft fridge, stove, microwave, pantry cupboard, fireplace and a 40" TV. I'm a little concerned about two small motors powering such a heavy slide. The person I spoke to at Lippert said they easily handle much longer slide outs.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

I have 2 Schwintek slides and one other mechanical slide. The large (14ft) kitchen slide has the stove, fridge, TV an fireplace as well as the microwave and most of the kitchen cabinets. The other slide is the bedroom slide. The schwintek system has not given me any problems in the year we have owned it. There have been several post on this forum and most of the issues stem from motor problems. They now have a higher ratio motor that helps with the large slides. Do not think Jayco installs hydraulic slides in any of their trailers.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #8

Remember it's easy to search for negative responses, people with problems post the most. People who are not having any issues don't post so the number of negative responses seems much larger.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #9

Our bedroom slide is a Schwintek and we have had no problems.
I think you can have problems with any slide system, just the luck of the draw.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. I'm waiting to hear back from Jayco. I want to know if they're using the 500:1 motors in all their larger slides now.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

I did hear back from Jayco. They're still using the 300:1 motors in the model we like. I think we're going to keep our present trailer for a while longer.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 AM   #12

Just for fun, wait until it's been raining for a few days and then ask the Jayco salesperson to demonstrate the "emergency slide retraction" mechanism. Bring along a lawn chair and a few adult beverages. It will be very entertaining!!
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
I did hear back from Jayco. They're still using the 300:1 motors in the model we like. I think we're going to keep our present trailer for a while longer.
Thanks for the replies.
I have 4 Schwintec slides on my unit of which 2 have given me minor issues. One a motor wire pulled from being hung up and the other was a sync issue. My large LR slide is mechanical, but the fridge and outdoor kitchen slides are Schwintec. While there are some issues with the system for the most part it is easy to diagnos and fix. The control panel tells you what the issue is under most cases.

Perhaps you could talk with the dealer and make a concession to upgrade the 2 motors to 500:1 in the deal? Maybe Jayco would upgrade at the build level. They are easy enough to change out.

The only issue I see with the hydro systems are that they are on one pump and all the slides work off one switch with the lightest going out first to the heaviest last.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #14

We have the 2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS. with three slides. We are going towards two years now and have not had any problems. We go camping at the minimum of once a month plus all the other opening and closings set up at the house. Never had the first problem with any of the slides.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
Old 02-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

All of the slides i have had are electric ... our 2015 338 rets has 3 slides all electric and we havent had any problems ... we had a 2003 gulfstream mako with 1 superslide and it had the same type .... we never had a problem with it either
Old 02-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

3 super slides here no problems, but I bought the 7 year Good Sam's extended warranty. If I hadn't I am sure I would have had all kinds of problems. BTW, slide repairs can be mega expensive and was one of the deciding factors to buy the extended warranty. One slide repair would more than pay for the warranty which cover's the whole unit including the tires.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
We're presently looking at a Jayco Eagle (Residential Comfort) fifth wheel. We found a floor plan we like. We were all excited about trying to make a deal until I discovered it had a large Schwintek slide. I thought I would do a search on the slide because I wasn't familiar with it. I discovered pages of complaints of this slide not working properly. Now the excitement has subsided. Is this system as problematic as I think? Should we try to find a 5th wheel with hydraulic slides? The model we're looking at has a fairly large and heavy slide. I'm trying to get an idea of the failure rate on these units.
I called Lippert, the people that manufacture the slide system. They were extremely helpful. They said if installed properly should have very low failure rates. From what I understand it is very important to have the trailer level and operate the slide fully in and out.
My gut tells me move on. I think the system may be just a little to finicky.
Please provide feedback.
Thanks.
I have A 08 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 38 footer 5th wheel. Here are the issues you may come across. I live in my 5'er full time at the Colorado/Utah border.

Get rid of that Norcold refer. IMHO it's crap. Did not last more than 2 years. If the cooler goes out like mine did it will cost you $600 for a new cooling system. I said that hell with that and bought me a brand new apt. size Frigidaire refer@ home depot for $400 and works great. Fits in the refer spot no problems. In the refer area is a 110 volt outlet for it.

If you have a Splendide washer dryer you can only put a 1/2 load in and it will cost you an arm and a leg to run it. Sold mine in a heart beat. It's cheaper and faster to goto a laundry mat lol.

As far as the slides go I have 4 slides and not had any issues at all yet. ( Thank God )

The insulation is not all that great in my Eagle 5'er I suggest that you get some R-30 ( 8 Inch thick insulation ) and put all over your basement, heater area, generator area if you dont have a generator, refer area, battery area and remove the cover underneath the unit and stuff that insulation as much as you can there and get yourself a skirt for the unit.

Also get yourself some of that foam in a can. To plug up all the holes underneath the unit and inside your cabinets to make sure you don't get any mice in your unit. Don't know why Jayco does not plug up all the holes underneath the unit and inside your cabinets. Stuff the holes with steel wool then stuff the hole with the foam. Mice dont like steel wool

Other than that it's a good unit.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Hydraulic systems are not free from issues either. I've seen new self leveling pistons leaking. If you have hydraulics you will get a leak eventually, make sure you know what to do. I you plan on relying on warranty then see who has the best and go with that type of Slide.
From what I've heard the super slides have the most issues. My trailer has four slides instead of real large ones, so far no problems.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Old 02-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #19

Thanks everyone. We've made a decision to wait for a while longer. Appreciate the feedback. I just don't feel comfortable with the design for a heavy slide. That could change with time.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #20

We have two electric and two hydraulic slides. One of the electrics moves the kitchen. It is quiet and smooth. No problems so far. I read a few [laces that the electric slides should no be stopped and restarted midway. I have stopped midway and had no problems. Don't wait too long as you as you can't get yesterday back.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
Closed Thread