Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
There should be a sticker or plate, with the model number, etc. That will tell you the actual weight out the door from the factory - dry (no water, no propane, no extras). The important thing about your truck is the max load you can carry. There are lots more weight calculation you have to do to make sure you are safe. Here's one calculator: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml. But, probably most restrictive will be the combination of what's in the truck - you, wife, dogs, kids, stuff and what's in the bed - hitch and weight on the hitch from the trailer. If you don't know the individual weights called for in the linked calculator, use their defaults as conservative safe numbers. I've got the tricked out newer f150, and even though the tow is rated 11,100 lbs, it was a challenge finding a fifth that didn't easily max out my payload capacity. And then there is the issue (if it is a short bed truck), and needing a slider hitch....
The beds? Very easy to upgrade, if you've done basic carpentry - built some bookshelves or utility cabinets, etc. from scratch. Overall - you're doing the equivalent of buying an older house. There WILL be many things to fix and/or upgrade. If you're a decent do-it-yourself'er most won't give you problems. But if your previous experience in home repairs or auto mechanics runs towards "call someone", it could be pricey.....
Just like buying a home - check for hidden issues (water leaks, etc), and make sure everything works! Search the formums for new RV checklists - they will give you a good start on what you need to look at.

2012 Ford F-150 Eco, Max/Max
Jayco 26.5 RLS, Reese Sidewinder
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
I highly doubt that 25 foot Jayco 5er weighs that little (4850#s). My 97 model Jayco 5er which is 28 feet weighs in at 7800 unloaded and loaded its close to 9000#s. I could see that 5er weighing around 6500-7000#s but would not beleive less than 5K. These models were not built as light as todays models at all. Check the sticker on the side if its still ledgible, for the GVWR and then subtract 1500-2000#s -OR- check the back side of the cabinet door under the kitchen sink inside. Mine still has the label there that states the dry-weight and load carrying capacity.

Bart and Tina
2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Silverado 4x4-Banks Power
1997 Jayco Eagle 5er 285BHS-flipped axles
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote