Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

lug nut torque

Does anybody know what the lug nut torque should be on a Dexter 7000lb axle with aluminum rims and half inch studs? I have looked online and can't get a straight answer.
sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
Does anybody know what the lug nut torque should be on a Dexter 7000lb axle with aluminum rims and half inch studs? I have looked online and can't get a straight answer.
Am interested in answer myself. Over the years [lots of years] I have changed tires on everything from a small station wagon to a dual axle TT with about a hundred other trailers [utility, car hauler, runabout boat, pop up]. With the OP's ?? in mind, I have never used a torque wrench nor have I seen a professional at a tire store or RV service center use one either. At 69 years old I doubt I can over torque a lug but am confident I can adequately tighten it down. I always recheck the lugs after the first few miles after changing a wheel and give each of the lugs a tug.

I know there are torque standards but good and tight seems to be the "standard".
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

This should help.
http://www.etrailer.com/static/image...u83730_800.jpg
Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
Site Team

The Dexter manual is in the Misc. section of the Manuals on JOF.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/do...p?do=file&id=2
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #5

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #6

I have never seen a tire store use a torque wrench either. When I was still farming I tightened wheel lugs with a impact wrench and I always figured they were over-tightened but they didn't loosen either.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #7
Site Team

Our local Firestone store tire tech uses a torque wrench on my truck and was very knowledgeable of the requirements.

I bought an inexpensive torque wrench at Harbor Freight that I use on the camper.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #8

In our area most tire stores use what is called a torque stick.

We have used this at my place of work and have checked them often with a torque wrench and they are right on.

Sunex 1/2in.-Drive Torque Limiting Extension Set — 5-Pc., Model# 2450 | Impact Adapters, Extensions Joints| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 12-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
I have never seen a tire store use a torque wrench either. When I was still farming I tightened wheel lugs with a impact wrench and I always figured they were over-tightened but they didn't loosen either.
My local Discount Tire uses a torque wrench and uses it correctly - 2 steps (partial torque then full) and alternates lug nuts across the wheel.

They also re-balance the tires when I take it in for my 5k rotation.

Love that place!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

I picked up a nail somewhere on the road while camping. It was a fast enough leak that I had to top up the tire pretty much every day, but since I had a 12 volt air compressor, it was only mildly inconvenient. When we got back, I took the truck in to a local tire place to get fixed. When it was done, they left a little card on my dash saying the nuts were torqued to spec and need to be checked after 100 km, and bring it back to them with the card and they'll do it for free. There was also coupons for other services they do, like $5 off an oil change, that kind of stuff.

I have a pretty decent torque wrench, so I always check it myself. Trust, but verify.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #11

Two years back I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight (while on the road and needed one) and after following their break in instructions found it to be inaccurate.Tested it against my other older torque wrenches (when I got home) it was way off. Use the Harbor Freight torque wrench as a breaker bar these days. Buyer be aware when it comes to Harbor Freight. Additionally in the last 10 years or so, every time I have bought tires the Tech used a torque wrench.
thomhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
My local Discount Tire uses a torque wrench and uses it correctly - 2 steps (partial torque then full) and alternates lug nuts across the wheel.

They also re-balance the tires when I take it in for my 5k rotation.

Love that place!
In my second career work for a coach bus company in their maintenance shop. I also do all my own auto repairs at home as well as for family. I always use a torque stick LOWER than the torque I'm trying to achieve and then final torque with an appropriate torque wrench.

It's a pet peeve of mine when a mechanic uses an impact gun on lug nuts without FIRST hand tightening them and zips them tight from a few spins. The extra time it takes to torque in steps is minimal compared to damaging a wheel stud by over torquing...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote