Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #21

WOW, maybe worse than anyone thought. Finally got it into the dealer yesterday. He wanted to inspect the roof, got up there with him.

2016 model, bought brand new in April 16. It lives INSIDE my barn, completely covered!

Dicor is cracked, open to the point you can get the tip of your finger in there, from NOSE to the REAR, not a seam or enclosure is spared. They think there is a good chance there is water in the walls.

Cost to replace and repair Dicor, approx $1000. Dealer is going to TRY and get some assistance on this, but past experience says Jayco will NOT pay a dime, ITS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!

If this is the case this is my LAST and only Jayco and they have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt the warranty is not worth the paper its written on. Even if there is not water found in the walls and I have to doubt that as it just does not sit out exposed to sun or rain, my barn is 78' feet long and it sits towards the back, in fact only about 15 ft from the back wall.

How does a unit have the Dicor fail in less than one year that is enclosed in San Antonio area, mild temps?

We are starting to shop for a new 5th wheel from a better mfg...either way,
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #22

I'm sorry to hear this. Not news anyone would want to hear. I would not leave the communication with Jayco exclusively in your dealers hands. I would try to calmly discuss this with them directly. I know Jayco's warranty is very clear about only covering seals for a limited time, but they have also been known to be pretty customercentric.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Dicor is cracked, open to the point you can get the tip of your finger in there, from NOSE to the REAR, not a seam or enclosure is spared. They think there is a good chance there is water in the walls.
Did you order it or buy it off the lot? Either way the dealer should have checked it thoroughly before delivery, including the roof. If the dicor is cracked that is not something JAYCO has any control over. Could have been a bad batch of sealant. I've seen cracks starting to form shortly after delivery that's why I use ETERNABOND TAPE as soon as I get a chance.

Also owner's manual says roof to be checked a minimum of every 6 months.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Did you order it or buy it off the lot? Either way the dealer should have checked it thoroughly before delivery, including the roof. If the dicor is cracked that is not something JAYCO has any control over. Could have been a bad batch of sealant. I've seen cracks starting to form shortly after delivery that's why I use ETERNABOND TAPE as soon as I get a chance.

Also owner's manual says roof to be checked a minimum of every 6 months.
Well its been 8 months and I was on the roof with the dealer and he was astounded at how bad and large the cracks were. I have owned it 8 months..I sold my Arctic Fox, 2008 I bought new-used in '09, sold it about 4 mo ago, the seals on it looked like new, it never had a leak and it sat out in the Phoenix sun till I moved to Tex. The buyer inspected them and even he asked if they OEM or had them been done, nope, OEM Dicor.

This is 2016 I can buy an array of sealants that will last 25 plus years in direct sun and Jayco/Dicor can not pull it off in less than a year, something is bad wrong and its NOT MY FAULT! I will get some pics but not s single seal on the roof was even in any acceptable shape at all...
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #25
Site Team

This is not only a Jayco thing. Regrettably most manufacturers can and do hide behind their "inspect seals every 90 days'' declaration. It happens all the time. And not many of us climb up on that roof every 90 days, to do so may do more harm then good. But I hear ya on seals should last longer then that, many of them were original on my 28BHS after 7 years. I only had to add some Dicor here and there for good measure.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
This is not only a Jayco thing. Regrettably most manufacturers can and do hide behind their "inspect seals every 90 days'' declaration. It happens all the time. And not many of us climb up on that roof every 90 days, to do so may do more harm then good. But I hear ya on seals should last longer then that, many of them were original on my 28BHS after 7 years. I only had to add some Dicor here and there for good measure.
I just purchased a Coachmen TT and they stressed the fact to inspect seals every 90 days.

I hope you get resolution to your satisfaction, but if you do go looking at other 5'ers, I suggest Grand Design. Heard lots of good things about them.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yes, Unfortunately. I had water dripping down from the knob for the TV antenna (Knob that changes the direction of the antenna) one night during a heavy rainstorm, Put a bucket under the knob and when we got home, I called Jayco and told them that my antenna was leaking. They approved me to take it to CW to get it checked out. (Trailer purchased at the end of October, 2015 so, trailer was not even a year old yet) CW took the antenna apart and said it needed to be replaced, Since we had camping plans, they put it back together and put new dicor sealant around it. Jayco wanted pictures and told me if I have not re-sealed it every 90 days, the warranty would not be honored. I sent them the photo CW gave me with the new Dicor sealant on the antenna and Jayco saw the Dicor looked fresh around the antenna and they replaced the antenna under warranty. (Thanks to CW for helping me here in this situation as the photo they took with the new Dicor sealant was a warranty saver)

However, I agree....... WHO goes up on the roof every 90 days? My 26BH lasted 3 years with no issues, then we traded it in on the new trailer)
Besides, if the seals were cracked just a small abount, would you really see it or does Jayco want us to put New Dicor sealant over what is already there every 90 days? I guess that could start getting expensive?? I am asking here?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I just purchased a Coachmen TT and they stressed the fact to inspect seals every 90 days.

I hope you get resolution to your satisfaction, but if you do go looking at other 5'ers, I suggest Grand Design. Heard lots of good things about them.
.....and be prepared to pay a heap more money for that Grand Design!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post

However, I agree....... WHO goes up on the roof every 90 days?
That's why ETERNABOND is a warranty and labor saver. Once and done
Old 12-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #30

Didn't the Jayco warranty used to state "annual inspection"?
1+ on the EternaBond! Sticky stuff. I've done the perimeter of the roof and while it's only been around 90 days, it looks great. Have yet to do the vents but it's on the list.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Didn't the Jayco warranty used to state "annual inspection"?
Our 2015 says minimum every 6 months, don't remember what our 08 SENECA said.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #32

I hate to ask but, what is the Dicor?
Sammfamily1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammfamily1990 View Post
I hate to ask but, what is the Dicor?
It is sealant that is used on the roof on the joints and around vents, etc. You can buy it in tubes for caulk guns.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #34

My solution to my failing rubber roof after 5 years was RVRoof | Home of the original sprayed RV Roof. No more caulking EVER.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote