Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Madder than a wet hen

Well its rained down here in Texas and if you have seen the weather, its raining across the state. But we have trip to make (business) and found our new 5th has a leak, no its beyond a leak, the water pours in and I mean pours, just sitting still in a light rain.

It pours in the front bedroom, (looking toward the nose) on the RIGHT, THRU the ELECTRICAL CONNECtION ( where you charge your fone and other devices), SPILLS OUT onto the night stand! Its warped the top, the wall appears to be swelling, the carpet is wet inside the night stand.

Worse is nothing I can do to stop it.

HAS ANYONE experienced this???????

If its raining its pouring!

For the life of me I cannot figure out where its coming from since this is located on the very front inside of the nose???????
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Get it to a dealer.

Nothing anyone can do here from afar!!

Good luck.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Get it to a dealer.

Nothing anyone can do here from afar!!

Good luck.
Yep.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Can't get to a dealer now, I am on the road, next week at soonest, hoping someone has encountered...if a drop of rain falls, it ends up inside and passes thru ___________??????? then out the electrical connection? I cannot even fathom its origin
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Check the clearance lights.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #6

You guys have been getting hammered with the rain. Sounds like the water is having an opportunity to pool and flow in forming a constant flow. Get up on the roof, check the caulking around all of your fixtures and the joints between your front cap and roof line. Also check the high side of any windows near the leaking area for good seals. Ultimatley you will need to get to a dealer when able for warranty repairs; I would even call them now just to advise of the issue and maybe they know of a problem area.

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 12-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Last one I read about that turned out to be a front cap seal on the roof. It did exactly as what you mentioned.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #8

It's likely a clearance light or the front cap seal. My front cap seal failed too and I had a similar situation to yours, only our water was in the closet so harder to find the issue.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #9

Hey, you are in the army! Rig it up temporarily at least with a blue tarp special!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

In any RV water leak situation, the entry point could be just about anywhere. Water sometimes travels along roof joists and along seams until it finally obeys the laws of gravity. The most likely points, though, are a front cap seam, or any opening they created for any accessory. Air Conditioner opening, light wiring hole, vent opening. Look for somewhere the sealant has failed, even a very small crack. Press on things, try to move panels in relation to one another, as the wind would do if it were blowing on the front cap. Just the force of the wind can pry panels open when the cracks and seams aren't always obvious. The blue tarp idea can at least help so you aren't making it worse than it already is.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

We had a serious leak develop too. The "roof pudding" along the cap-roof joint failed. Covered it with blue tarp and weighted it down with 2x4 pieces until the rain ended. A tube of dicor and we were back in business.

An RV tech once explained to me, "yeah, these things love to leak.....and break".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #12

Something like this happened on my fifth wheel trailer. Turned out to be the 8-inch scare light that is installed near the rear on the outside up high on the trailer wall. The light lens have a wep hole in them them that is supposed to be rotated to the bottom of the light. The scare light was filling up with water and leaking into the trailer where the wires come through the wall...

You might have something similar with some of your light lens up front...

Worth checking perhaps

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #13

Thanks to all...

There might be a BINGO here?

We had the front bedroom skylight replaced with a AC unit (factory option) and my guess is that is where the leak is coming from or the cap seal...
Old 12-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Probably there are 4 bolts that attach the AC to the roof; they are accessble by removing the plastic vent/filter holder that is attached to the interior ceiling. Many people (including me) have reported that these bolts are NOT tightened at all as coming from the factory. Just snug up the bolts if they are loose; you don't want to squeeze flat the foam gasket that provides a water seal between the roof and the AC unit. Somewhere on this forum is a long thread about this, but I couldn't find it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Site Team

If that is the source, you can remove the plastic cover inside and clearly see the inside of the unit seal and if that is a source it should be a visual ID.

Good luck.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Probably there are 4 bolts that attach the AC to the roof; they are accessble by removing the plastic vent/filter holder that is attached to the interior ceiling. Many people (including me) have reported that these bolts are NOT tightened at all as coming from the factory. Just snug up the bolts if they are loose; you don't want to squeeze flat the foam gasket that provides a water seal between the roof and the AC unit. Somewhere on this forum is a long thread about this, but I couldn't find it.
That was an issue when we bought it. Living in S Tx and Phoenix Az I KNEW 1 AC was not going to keep it cool in our brutal summers, so as a condition of buying I wanted the front AC installed as per the option on my unit. We picked up out of town (500 one way) and were on a tight schedule due to company business travel. We arrive, everything is ok and the unit will be ready to roll the next day. At 4 pm we arrive to pick up and they tell me the unit is not ready. I ask why. Well the 4 bolts are not long enough so they will have to get some and install the bolts tomorrow....WTH you say, how about I WALK ACROSS THE STREET to HOME DEPOT and get them for you! The Svc Manager cops a REAL ATTITUDE over this, giving em thread count and size BS. Again I say well lets go to HD or the ACE HW down the street, bet they have them. Finally we get Sales and the GM involved and now suddenly they find the magic bolts in the shop....maybe they forgot some of the boltz or failed to tighten or ???? YA THINK?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If that is the source, you can remove the plastic cover inside and clearly see the inside of the unit seal and if that is a source it should be a visual ID.

Good luck.
Is the AC sealed with a sealer also?????? Or is it just 4 bolts on a foam seal and tightened???
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #18

Just a quick stop gap as well. Until you have time to take a detailed look, jack your front stabs up a bit to add more pitch to the roof away from the area where it is leaking. If your unit is perfectly level, water has more opportunity to pool. In many cases this will help shed the water away, however in some instance it could move the water toward the leak. Worth a try though if all else is failing.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Is the AC sealed with a sealer also?????? Or is it just 4 bolts on a foam seal and tightened???
With mine (and I think most) the seal between the roof membrane and the AC is just the foam seal and the four bolts. This system really works well, if it's all installed properly. I'm not saying that this is the source of your leak, but it won't hurt to check.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
Site Team

Just the bolts against the seal. It's hard to visualize from the pics and fp's I accessed but it sure seems that the ac if behind where you describe the leak.

Have you had a chance to look at the roof caulking across the top where the front cap is joined to the roof material?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote