Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #1

Maiden voyage 323LKTS

Well we finally picked it up. Absolutely love it! Have a few minor things I've got to deal with that wasn't caught on the PDI.

The screen door has a gap on the lower left. I'm hoping this can just be adjusted by me and I won't need to bother bringing it back for service.

Unfortunately we had our first blowout on a trailer tire. Brand spanking new unit and I get a blowout. Either I did actually run something over or these tires are cheapies. Never even heard of the brand. My old eagle trailer at least had Goodyears on it. But not this one.

This leads me to my second issue. The spare. Once the spare was dropped and put on I cannot retract the cable underneath. It just spun and spun. So I took a closer look underneath and the metal bar that runs from the side of the unit underneath to the spare, the metal bar comes right off the assembly that cranks the cable up and down. That one has me puzzled.

As far as the towing experience, wow! I cannot believe the difference compared with pulling my old eagle travel trailer even though the 5er is 4k pounds heavier. So smooth and stable I couldn't believe it. I got absolutely no pull or push from the big semi's blowing past me.

Looking forward to new adventures with the family.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1463398669.270763.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	24055

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the Fiver world.
As far as the tires, well, if you keep then aired up to the maximum and don't exceed the speed limits printed on the tire, you may be okay. I went from E rated tires and wheels to G rated tires and wheels. For me, its one less thing to think about when we're traveling.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #3

I think I may end up at least buying all new brand name tires. I can only assume they were aired to max by the dealer as we had just picked it up there. They certainly didn't look flat at all and look new for sure. No visible dry rot or anything. I was towing at 60-62 and won't go over that speed so I don't think my speed was a factor.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Not sure where you live, but depending on that, it's possible that the transport driver ran over something during delivery. Everyone always blames the tire but forgets that their trailer was delivered.
Living out on the west coast and buying an east coast trailer means it's got 2500 miles on it already.
I'm not defending ST tires by any means, but sometimes it's not always clear why some blow and some don't.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Your made voyage sounds eerily like ours - noticed the same gap in the screen door and had a flat tire. Flat was because I ran over a screw somewhere along the way, but it was in the tire shoulder so not repairable.

As far as the spare goes, didn't have an issue with the cable per se, but the brain trust at the factory cut the access hole for the crank 2" off, so it was essentially useless.

Hopefully the issues are behind you now and you're good to go for the season

Agree with you about the way it tows too - day and night from our White Hawk TT.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

Hiya Rob,

Wow that is certainly similar. Did you find a way to adjust the screen door yourself or did you bring it in? I'm hoping there is some sort of adjustment screws or something. Otherwise I suppose I can just pickup some weatherstripping and attach to the inside frame so it covers the gap when the door is closed.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Hiya Rob,

Wow that is certainly similar. Did you find a way to adjust the screen door yourself or did you bring it in? I'm hoping there is some sort of adjustment screws or something. Otherwise I suppose I can just pickup some weatherstripping and attach to the inside frame so it covers the gap when the door is closed.

I haven't done anything with the door yet, primarily because the weather hasn't been cooperative and we've had the door closed anyway. I've also "modded" the door by adding a handle and dog screens, so warranty probably won't cover it. The gap was there before I made the mods... I'll look at it a bit more closely to see if there is an adjustment of some sort, but if not probably just add some weather stripping as you suggested. Please let me know if you find anything when looking at yours.

On a positive note, our second trip out was uneventful, and we got a thorough leak test as it rained all weekend. True test starts this Friday when we head out on a two week trip to TN
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

Will definitely let you know. Happy trails this Friday. Enjoy! I'm jealous! Lol