Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Maintenance. What and when.

Alright Fellas or ladies. First camper EVER and I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, tips and tricks. I've read A TON online, but I've been posting and reading on here for a bit now and j know the folks I tak to in here know their s#%t. Being a navy guy I am a firm believer in PMS. Preventative maintenance only makes sense.

So what maintenance are you doing and how often?

Thanks gents, and ladies.
Dustin.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

This sounds like a great topic for a "sticky" post in Maintenance.
I can see our building a list like the CPI list. It should be divided into:

Best Done by user:
1) before every trip
2) after every trip
3) annually
4) when winterizing
5) when de-winterizing
6) every n years/miles

Best done by Dealer:
1) annually
2) every n Years / miles

I know there are maintenance lists in the owners manuals - but we all know those are horribly lacking. For example, I examine all the metal on my rig about twice a year and shoot anything showing signs of rust with appropriate colored rustoleum. You won't find that suggestion in any manual.

Probably should group TT and FW together and motorized vehicles together - or perhaps include all RV's but leave the drive train part of motorized vehicles to another list.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Here's the Navy answer: keep it ship shape! I have found that doing a complete cleaning as soon as we get home, every time, is the best PM there is. As I go through her cleaning and organizing, I FIND the issues before they become large. The real PM is small, but the real task is damage control, be it from things getting loose or tossed about, or just wear and tear. Something always needs fixing, so a good cleaning on the return home allows me to make a list then putter around getting ready for the next adventure.

The big PM tickets: wash and wax. Rubber roof treatment once a year. grease the bearings and repack as necessary. A little grease on the sewerage line valve stems.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #4

Buddy- Good point about the owners manual lacking. Chalk that book up almost a waste of time. Whenever I refer to it I usually seem completely dissatisfied with what I'm looking for, then ultimately go rooting around online. And, this post should have been in the maintenance category. I guess I didn't really notice we had a separate forum for that on here.

Aagalan- "Ship Shape" ha, well said. I do read on here an awful lot with people and the repacking bearings. Do you think that is as important for me if I am not driving the rig anywhere for till December? Or can I just set that on the monitor side and maintenance that prior to travel? I understand that the goal is to prevent failure before it occurs. Also, is household Vaseline an adequate grease or is there a more efficient grease.

Thanks fellas

Aagalan
Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #5

Vaseline is not a substitute for bearing grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

Since I have a big investment in this rig and plan on keeping it forever, I take mine in to the dealer once a year to have them go over all the items that need checking and lubing or adjusting. I bought an extended warranty that carries me out through 5 years and they all void the warranty if preventive maintenance is not done. So, I put the monkey on the dealers back. If I were younger, I would take a lot of it on myself, but I have gotten past that stage. No more roof climbing for me, or the wife would probably shoot me! The dealer has not charged me that much for doing this so everyone is happy.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:11 AM   #7
Site Team

When you first said you were a believer in PMS, I thiught this thread was going to take a bad turn but reading on, it will be a good discussion!

I do a lot of regular maintenance on mine but there is always room for improvement.
One thing we and others do is keep a list of things that need fixing when on a trip and use it to remind me of stuff I may have forgot. But I have a backup system called Wife that won't let it be forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #8

Definitely not definitely not for bearing grease. I'm referring to the grease that appears to be in the toilet and a few other places around the camper.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #9

That's where I am at. Trying to figure what SHOULD be done and when. The check list is building and the notes are piling high. Soon I will be able to sit down and type them out then filling my white binders with what I've learned. This way if for some reason I'm cannot do something the binder is handy for the wife to-do-it-herself. We moved sites yesterday so I actually got her hooked up the 377rlbh and let her drive some loops and Wales her through a lot of the packing up and and unpacking. Of course with our three year old running around like a threen-ager (this is apparently the new step after terrible two's) she had to step away.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin.Ford View Post
Definitely not definitely not for bearing grease. I'm referring to the grease that appears to be in the toilet and a few other places around the camper.
That is a product called Plumbers silicone. Available in the plumbing supply section of Lowes or any where.

Shop Danco Grease at Lowes.com
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #11

You guys use Silicone Spray for most of your lubricant needs? I live right up against a beach in the keys so I'm assuming I need to be lubricating things more often.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

A comprehensive Preventative Maintenance list would be amazing. I have read many posts on these forums and I find it an amazing place to learn. I have picked up numerous tips and tricks. This is my new FW and it is a monster compared to the little TT I used to own.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #13

Dont forget the roof! Go up every six months to clean the roof and check the seals up there. As you see cracks develop, go up and Dicor them.

The buyer of our last Jayco said that amongst other things, the top three that sold him on our six yr old tt was:
-roof maintenance! Having the attached ladder was a clue we maintained the roof (only because his experience was that those who didn't have a ladder, probably didn't check/clean the roof). After going up, he saw that someone had one or two 'Dicor-treated' layers where typical cracks more than likely showed on the seams over the years. He could tell we washed the roof as part of the maintenance as well. This guy said he had seen several rv's where the roof was filthy and very old cracks showing in the seams that were never Dicor'ed.
-the binder with all the original paperwork, and, warranty/maintenance (receipts etc) completed.
-the wheel bearings!!! We had records of when we 'repacked' the bearings.

Hope this helps
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote